Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 08:56   #1

Boat: Albin Ballad 9.1
Currents: Scroll Through Hour-by-Hour Chart View

Hi,
I'm new to OpenCPN and this forum. I sail out of Pedder Bay (near Victoria BC in the Pacific North West) and have a question about the current arrows.

I know I can open a current window for any particular location, and move fore or back a whole day at a time, but is it possible to scroll through the current arrows display on the chart, hour by hour, for a 'big picture' of what's happening current-wise?

I find OpenCPN very easy and intuitive to use, and especially like the AIS feature.

Peter.
prjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:23   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I don't think there is any support for currents at the moment? Are you seeing arrows?
Old 04-06-2010, 19:49   #3

Yes, I'm seeing all the current arrows for the day and time that I click on the "Show Currents" icon.

What I was dreaming about was a way to move forward, one hour at a time, to view how the arrows change size (speed) and direction. I have no idea if it can be done, or how, but it would be a great tool for trip planning in the Gulf Islands.

Here's a screen shot of my area, with the current arrows for 7pm pdst.
Old 04-06-2010, 21:33   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Peter,

Quote:
Originally Posted by prjacobs View Post
Yes, I'm seeing all the current arrows for the day and time that I click on the "Show Currents" icon.

What I was dreaming about was a way to move forward, one hour at a time, to view how the arrows change size (speed) and direction.
as the currents display depends on your system time (and date) just change it and you see the result immediately.

Gunther
Netsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:31   #5

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Ah that would be part of NOAA/xtides data?

I suppose there is a time slider in the grib display which could be adapted for this purpose (setting general opencpn time for grib and currents)?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:24   #6

Netsurfer: the program has to be restarted to recognize time and date changes, but good idea, anyway!

idpnd: a GRIB-type menu would be perfect. It certainly works well for the wind vectors. As I'm not an able programer (just an able seaman) I'll have to let someone else do the programing. If that kind of data is widely available, I think it would be a good feature to add.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:12   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Peter,
Quote:
Netsurfer: the program has to be restarted to recognize time and date changes, but good idea, anyway!
not with Windows 7.
If I change the systems date/ time settings OCPN recognizes this without restart (with a short delay of about 1-2 seconds).

What OS are you on?

Gunther
Old 05-06-2010, 21:55   #8

I'm using XP
Old 27-08-2010, 11:16   #9

Quote:
Hi,
I'm new to OpenCPN and this forum. I sail out of Pedder Bay (near Victoria BC in the Pacific North West) and have a question about the current arrows.

I know I can open a current window for any particular location, and move fore or back a whole day at a time, but is it possible to scroll through the current arrows display on the chart, hour by hour, for a 'big picture' of what's happening current-wise?

I find OpenCPN very easy and intuitive to use, and especially like the AIS feature.

Peter.
I want to second this request! I'm glad I spent a little more time searching. I discovered opencpn recently after looking for a linux solution for s-57 data every couple of years.

I'm a kayaker in the NYC area and I'd love to have this feature for planning trips. In particular, circumnavigating Manhattan involves a varying set of currents throughout the trip. The typical trip involves going counter-clockwise around the island in about 8 hours, with the currents flowing with you most of the way around.

A much trickier course involves racing around Manhattan clockwise. This requires very careful timing to avoid a terrible slog up the Hudson river at the end.

When I first did this trip solo years ago I spent hours transcribing coordinates from the maptech online charts into a list I could load into my handheld GPS. I could now do this in about 5 minutes with opencpn, it seems. :-)

Having the currents would make the timing much easier. What would be the most awesome would be to have a track with times and pacing information. My 305 has a time/distance virtual partner, but an app for my android phone showing my pace related to specific waypoints would be best.

But, I digress. ;-) I would love to see some sort of time slider for controlling current display.

-Dave
David Stenglein is offline   Reply With Quote