Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2020, 17:29   #31

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Re: Custom Catamaran Cost & Builders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
My gut has been telling me for sometime that for the quality that I want it probably not doable as a custom, but as I said before, If I am going to spend this kind of money, I want to make sure I don't have too many regrets

I have owned/worked on offshore boats my entire life. I do know what it takes to own one. I am just not overly exited by most of the models out there, and that certainly includes most all of the used and older models. There are a LOT of features on some of the new designs that don't necessarily cost more, but are certainly something I intend to have. I tend to work really hard to do things right and since I plan to live on this for the foreseeable future I don't want to just settle.

I will look at some of the suggestions given, but will probably end up with a slightly used newer production model and just bite the bullet and change things enough to suit me.

Balance is probably my favorite new cat at the moment, but they just don't quite make one for my budget, too bad!

I really like Outremer but the new models are hard to find used and are a bit small on the inside unless you go over 50ft, and of course expensive even used.

For my budget I am leaning towards the Lagoon 450S, but not a lot of used models available. I would prefer dagger boards and I don't want one loaded to the gills with generators and heavy options. But I will keep looking and who knows, I may even decide to slightly increase m budget!
I don't believe that it's not doable. It 's just the logistics that have me a little wary. It seems that most of the boutique Cat builders in the world are a long way from south Texas and I don't know how you'd deal with a bare hull thousands of miles away.

You mentioned Balance https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...e-451-3167187/ and these seem to be in your budget but I find it odd they're coming out of Hong Kong as Balance is a South African builder - maybe these guys would let you customize some options.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 17:47   #32

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
I don't believe that it's not doable. It 's just the logistics that have me a little wary. It seems that most of the boutique Cat builders in the world are a long way from south Texas and I don't know how you'd deal with a bare hull thousands of miles away.

You mentioned Balance https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...e-451-3167187/ and these seem to be in your budget but I find it odd they're coming out of Hong Kong as Balance is a South African builder - maybe these guys would let you customize some options.

Balance was building the low end models in China and the high end models in South Africa. Balance is US owned. The 451 was built in China, it seems the new 442 is being built in Sth Africa under license.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 04:56   #33

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

The only way is if you do all the work yourself, including the sails. The prices of materials make this proposal very difficult and you won't find any reliable builder able to meet that price, you will find scam artists telling you they can do it and they will take your $$ and run or deliver a sinker....the plans are the least expensive of the proposition.........for that price buy a good used boat.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 05:03   #34
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
The only way is if you do all the work yourself, including the sails. The prices of materials make this proposal very difficult and you won't find any reliable builder able to meet that price, you will find scam artists telling you they can do it and they will take your $$ and run or deliver a sinker....the plans are the least expensive of the proposition.........for that price buy a good used boat.

Well, thanks very much.

I'm glad this level of cynicism and narrow mindedness isn't pervasive!
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 05:55   #35

Boat: L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post

Yes the logistics are a HUGE issue. As I am about to retire I could choose to do the work elsewhere but that brings up a ton of other issues. I am also very hesitant to undertake a custom design with any builder who doesn't have a solid reputation and history.

As for the Balance listed above, I hadn't seen that. It certainly is not listed on their website, and it is loaded with the very issues I don't like! Things like the curved seating, huge sloping front cabin windows that take up a huge amount of space and make the cabin into a greenhouse. It seems a VERY old and dated design. All of the balance designs on the website including the new 442 are FAR better layouts, but start at $699K.

I love the new Seawind 1600, but its also too expensive and I don't care for the 1260. Maybe they will come out with a 1400! Fingers crossed!

As far as Outremer vs Lagoon, I am also very aware these designs are worlds apart, and I wish I could have a hybrid of the two designs. That's part of my dilemma! I think there are a LOT of people out there that are looking for the same thing.

I will very likely choose a used production cat and continue to look for an alternative. I do feel like its possible to go the custom route, but it's a path fraught with peril, and I need to very careful if I choose to that route.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 06:10   #36

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

Have you thought about a Hurricane damaged boat. My insurance company sold Cheorae for $30k The water maker and Electric winches were brand new and worth that. She hadn’t sunk, damaged on the Hard. Buyer glassed the hull repair and then Motored her to his home port. He s on here sometimes maybe he can comment on the refit costs
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 06:44   #37

Boat: Knysna 440 44 ft Catamaran

I own a Knysna 440 which we had built in South Africa in 2007. We remain on good terms with the builders who take pride in their boats and build a high quality product. We have sailed her to the Caribbean and Venezuela and then across to Portugal and across the Med to Greece and Turkey.

She has proved to be a fast comfortable boat and excellent on the two Atlantic crossings we have done. I doubt you will find better value than the boat in Fiji and you will have two extra years on the water.
Michael Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 07:03   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

That boat Rebel appears to be a St Francis 44. Are they the same molds? Looks quite dated and low bridge deck for 44. I have a friend that raised the bridge deck on his SF 43 and it seems a decent boat now.
Old 28-02-2020, 07:48   #39

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1340X

I am pretty sure it can be done.

I was quite a bit short of your budget. About half, and had to pass on going this route.

Building a schionning cat in Thailand, PANTAWEE marine, would make it possible.

I ended up buying an unfinished schionning wilderness 1340x. I am finishing it myself and hope to end up under 200k.

Check out Schionning.

I am sure it can be done on a budget of 500k.

Perhaps a dazcat, farrier or even a seawind as well..
Axel Rappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 07:59   #40

Steve,
I 100% hear u and have a hired a cat designer in a lower cost production country to design me a 46-ish foot aluminium catamaran. I am fully involved in the design process and the naval architect has a lot good ideas and experience....

Construction will likely occur also in a low (or lesser) cost country, it seems Turkey has quite a few experienced alu ship builders.

Maybe we can team up or at least share ideas!?

Thanks, Rod
Roddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 08:14   #41

Boat: L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddu View Post
Steve,
I 100% hear u and have a hired a cat designer in a lower cost production country to design me a 46-ish foot aluminium catamaran. I am fully involved in the design process and the naval architect has a lot good ideas and experience....

Construction will likely occur also in a low (or lesser) cost country, it seems Turkey has quite a few experienced alu ship builders.

Maybe we can team up or at least share ideas!?

Thanks, Rod
Hi Rod,

I am certainly open to sharing some ideas. Feel free to shoot me a PM and we can share email addresses.

As for the Knysna 440, there are quite a few things about it I don't care for. There are certainly a ton of options out there well within my budget. I just haven't found one yet that I like. Bridge Deck Clearance is a huge one!

I have been in touch with a manufacturer that has a new model coming that may be really a great fit. I have been asked to keep everything confidential for now, but will be glad to share as I am able.

I have my plate full in the short term as I prepare for retirement, so I can afford to be patient.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 08:33   #42

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1340X

Maybe Spirited designs. The 480?
Axel Rappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 08:36   #43

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

not cynicism, experience; tried it, same budget, turned into a fiasco
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 08:41   #44

Boat: EDELCAT33

If you don’t want to go to a builder half way around the world... consider Peru and the Ballota Factory

https://www.ballotta.com.pe/wwwcata-ballottacom

They do catamarans and even Proas.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 08:42   #45

Boat: EDELCAT33

This might be a better link

https://www.cata-ballotta.com/
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
builder, catamaran