Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2020, 13:12   #1

Boat: L42
Custom Catamaran Cost & Builders

If I were interested in having a 45 ft or so custom cat built and wanted to keep the budget under $500K is this reasonable? And can anyone suggest a builder?

It would seem like this is a very reasonable budget, but based on the price of most production cats maybe not. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I should be able to get something that matches my needs rather than buying a new or used production model and then spending even more to change a lot.

I am NOT looking for ultra luxurious or even extreme performance. I plan to do much of the final fit-out myself and really need a solid foundation to work from.

Any thoughts on the budget or suggestions for a builder would be welcome!
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:44   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Custom Catamaran Cost & Builders

Not the best starting point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
a 45 ft or so custom cat built
The only reason for having a custom cat built is because what you desire is not available off the shelf.

In order to to achieve success you need to establish your very "specific" needs otherwise you will end with a very bad relationship with the builder or paying for lots of extras you either did or didn't want.

You need to find a designer first and choose a stock design that he is willing to modify or get them to create a "unique" one off design for you.

There are lots of good catamaran designers out there:

http://www.shuttleworthdesign.com/
http://www.schionningdesigns.com.au/
https://www.tennantdesign.co.nz/
http://www.morrellimelvin.com/

https://www.multihulldesigns.com/

Without a fully detailed set of drawings and a specification a builder will not be able to quote and your budget will be completely meaningless. Once you find a design / designer that you like finding a builder who has experience in building your chosen design will be easier and to what level of finish.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:49   #3

Boat: TBA

Your budget of 500k is this finished sail away or is this the budget to get the structure built.

You will find it a tough call to get someone to partially build your boat to a certain point then finish it yourself,you will need a budget fully broken down to even evaluate what the builder has to quote you on.

I have built an entire boat and hired help to build the structure and paint the boat,but finished it off myself.i had a full budget which I worked to and contained my costs,but the extra time it took finishing myself and the cost to hire the shed built up quickly so all I’m saying is get your budget down,make it realistic,too many unfinished projects mostly because of budget constraints to actually finish it

I added a 10% contingency to the known costs and used that plus another 10% because things change especially your fitout , you will be surprised exactly how much you spend on even sandpaper because you never get it right in your budget and in a couple of years the costs rise and mostly you still want xyz so you fork out that little bit extra.

Allan
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 19:27   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
If I were interested in having a 45 ft or so custom cat built and wanted to keep the budget under $500K is this reasonable? And can anyone suggest a builder?

It would seem like this is a very reasonable budget, but based on the price of most production cats maybe not. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I should be able to get something that matches my needs rather than buying a new or used production model and then spending even more to change a lot.

I am NOT looking for ultra luxurious or even extreme performance. I plan to do much of the final fit-out myself and really need a solid foundation to work from.

I don’t think you could touch a decent 45’ production cat for anywhere close to $500k, and I don’t believe there is a huge profit margin in the production cats.
Just like houses, a custom built boat will usually cost more than a production built boat because now the builder has to deal with a customer throughout the build.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 20:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Not the best starting point.

You need to find a designer first and choose a stock design that he is willing to modify or get them to create a "unique" one off design for you.

There are lots of good catamaran designers out there:

[url]https://www.tennantdesign.co.nz/[
Without a fully detailed set of drawings and a specification a builder will not be able to quote and your budget will be completely meaningless. Once you find a design / designer that you like finding a builder who has experience in building your chosen design will be easier and to what level of finish.
Didn't realise Tennant designs was still going. Who does the designs for them now since Malcolm died in 2008?
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 23:38   #6
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:

It depends on a few details but my opinion is yes. In fact, I'm prepared to back my opinion by saying that I could make that happen for you and will commit contractually to deliver that.

If you're genuine, not just kicking tyres, and want that to happen please send me a PM.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 03:51   #7

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
Didn't realise Tennant designs was still going. Who does the designs for them now since Malcolm died in 2008?

His website is certainly alive and kicking, obviously no new designs and not sure what support you would get if you bought plans.

Don't know who actually runs the site now.

Anyone know?
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 05:46   #8

I can certainly see I needed to be more specific.

I am interested in doing the electrical, electronics and controls, most all of the interior cabinetry and woodwork, and a fair amount of the plumbing. Even some of the fuel and mechanical systems.

My budget would be around 500K finished. Most production cats from the bigger builders include many things I have no interest in like propane systems and appliances, lots of marine electrical systems that I would rather replace including batteries, chargers & inverters, etc.. Even things like refrigeration can be expensive and for the same dollars could be far better than what is offered. Windlass and Winch brands, voltages and sizes are not always what I would prefer, but I am either stuck with what they provide, or I pay for it and then replace it

I also don't care for most of the designs out there, I can certainly find things I do like, but they are either too expensive, are too focused on the charter market. Or they are above my budget because they are VERY performance oriented or too big.

I am very familiar with the major designers out there and would have no problem engaging someone qualified to help me come up with a detailed design and working plans to get a detailed quote, but I hate to go down that road if my expectations are unrealistic. I have not yet found an existing design that ticks my boxes, but I have seen all of the things I like, just not all on the same design

Its been my experience that most people don't have the patience to do anything custom, in any facet of life, because its time consuming and requires too much thought and effort. Most seem to want to just see something and go for it, instant gratification. I understand that I would be looking at a process that would take at least 18 to 24 months and require a LOT of research, decision making, and elbow grease.

Even if I do purchase a production boat new or used, I would likely spend 6 to 12 months changing it to meet my wants and needs. If I am going to invest this much time, money and effort I would certainly want the end product to be something I truly love.

Most of the production builders out there have tremendous overheads, with massive marketing efforts and sales channels that I would end up paying for, that's why I am hoping I can find a builder that could possibly meet my needs within a reasonable budget. Before I shell out $500K I just want to make sure I am going down the right path.
Old 22-02-2020, 07:00   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I know of a Atlantic 55 bare hulls and bridge deck. A ton of money was spent to get to this stage. At this point is almost free but hard to move a 28' wide cat. Could be finished at current facility and some labor possibly available.
Old 22-02-2020, 07:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I know of a Atlantic 55 bare hulls and bridge deck. A ton of money was spent to get to this stage. At this point is almost free but hard to move a 28' wide cat. Could be finished at current facility and some labor possibly available.
I would be interested to know more, PM me if you would care to share more details!
Old 22-02-2020, 08:59   #11

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

#1 boats ALWAYS have issues that designers/builders change in subsequent boats. No different here. And a $500k for a 45 foot one-off is going to likely bring you significant challenges/issues.

Since you want to do so much of the work yourself, you might want to consider finding one of those boats you really like that's in need of a big refit. You'll have great "bones" and then can adapt as you wish and likely can come in within your budget.

Good luck!

Jason
Breathe
Manta 40 #49
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 09:09   #12

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Sounds like you should consider one already built. There's a 2005 Kynsna 44' for sale in Fiji for $230,000 apparently in sail ready condition (so you could get it home) and have a lot left over to fine tune it to your heart's content. You'd be hard pressed to design/build anything this good on your budget. Knysnas are built in South Africa in a boutique yard (just a few boats a year) and are definitely blue water cruisers as they're designed to handle the Cape of Good Hope.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 09:17   #13

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
I would be interested to know more, PM me if you would care to share more details!

Maybe this one?

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/26142

Cheers,
Old 22-02-2020, 09:47   #14

BoatSmith David Halladay at 561-632-2628

Custom composite sailing catamaran builder and boat works in Palm Beach County, Florida.....

info@BoatSmithlFl.com
For build photos and updates also check instagram @BoatSmithFL
Specializes in Wharrams and Woods Design Catamarans
Check out Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/boatsmthfl/videos
noboattofloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 10:11   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

I don’t think you can build any kind of 45 ft boat for under $500k unless you built it yourself and hired a worker or two.
Marine grade materials are expensive and labor costs are through the roof now days. Why do you think much yacht construction has moved to the Far East.
What would be “paying” yourself for at least two years work. Look for something in the used market and modify it to your needs.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
builder, catamaran