Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2021, 09:35   #3346
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
So for comparison, there’s a similar tri on Grenada on Yachtworld for £79k - approx. $100k USD.

You could certainly finish this one and have it ready to go for well under that figure IF you were prepared to spend 6 - 12 months on the hard doing the work yourself. Finished it’s not comparable to a NEEL tri, but would certainly make for a well sorted long distance cruiser.

N

Agreed nothing like a Neel, but arguably maybe not a bad thing.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 09:55   #3347

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Agreed nothing like a Neel, but arguably maybe not a bad thing.
Absolutely. I got on the Neel 43 and 51 (?) at this year’s Valencia boat show and was pretty unimpressed with the layout and overall finish. The 43 in particular was pretty dire, and the 51 (?) only had access to the ama cabins via external companionways, with the heads under the ladder access to those cabins.

Just saw the Learning the Lines YT vid for Wilson’s Legacy. That’s a lot of space inside that tri!

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 10:45   #3348
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Absolutely. I got on the Neel 43 and 51 (?) at this year’s Valencia boat show and was pretty unimpressed with the layout and overall finish. The 43 in particular was pretty dire, and the 51 (?) only had access to the ama cabins via external companionways, with the heads under the ladder access to those cabins.

Just saw the Learning the Lines YT vid for Wilson’s Legacy. That’s a lot of space inside that tri!

N

We are sitting approximately 2,939 feet away from Wilson’s Legacy, and I think she is a beautiful design. [emoji16]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:08   #3349

Re: Lagoon 570 $264K in Saint Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post

I’m looking hard at the 570, I think it would make an ideal world cruiser. This one would require massive restyling to make it a home for a cruising couple. There are a couple others out there under 400k. I tend to like the galley down version better. Have not seen the 3 cabin design under 400k yet. Maybe one day one will appear.
The other issue I’m having is getting to these places to actually have a look at them. Dang Covid testing and rules make it impossible to make a quick trip out for a visit.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:10   #3350

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
I’m looking hard at the 570, I think it would make an ideal world cruiser...
Agreed. I think there is a lot of value to be found in these older larger cats.

Quote:
I tend to like the galley down version better...
Aside from all the other commonly discussed pros and cons I think a big benefit for a cruising couple of 'galley up' on this size/type of design is that you can continue watchkeeping while in the galley, both visually through the large deck salon windows as well as electronically via an easily added large screen display (that can also double as the TV when at anchor).

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:48   #3351

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think I read here somewhere that the L570 is a partial redesign of the 57. They used the same hulls but plopped a new mold on top. You can see the similarity to the 57 hulls there and they kept some design elements like the twin helms.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:04   #3352

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post

Especially the value in getting broke by fixing, maintaining and operating them....
A max 45ft cat is enough and comfy to accommodate a large family and getting you around the world. More is just burning money...a lot will say 38 is enough and I agree but with a family the extra space is life quality.
Just my 2 cents...
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 03:55   #3353

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
I’m looking hard at the 570, I think it would make an ideal world cruiser. This one would require massive restyling to make it a home for a cruising couple. There are a couple others out there under 400k. I tend to like the galley down version better. Have not seen the 3 cabin design under 400k yet. Maybe one day one will appear.
The other issue I’m having is getting to these places to actually have a look at them. Dang Covid testing and rules make it impossible to make a quick trip out for a visit.
This 570 is basically a floating shell that you have to empty and build new... And first get it to a place you can easily get to, has good supply and cheap dock fees.
Just to dock this during refit is a fortune...
Why do you need the 4 room version, rooms are so big on these and head too...
That 4th room is so handy as workshop, storage and household room, close the door and mess is gone... i personally regret to have an owner 3 room set up even on my 40ft cat but condition and price was so good that i went for it.
And yes i need 3 cabins to have eg 3 crew on long passages.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:31   #3354

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:

Aside from all the other commonly discussed pros and cons I think a big benefit for a cruising couple of 'galley up' on this size/type of design is that you can continue watchkeeping while in the galley, both visually through the large deck salon windows as well as electronically via an easily added large screen display (that can also double as the TV when at anchor).

I think there is a huge benefit from a galley up in a charter situation. You use the hull space for 4 cabins.

A galley up on a cat for a cruising couple just reduces the living space. This inevitably leads to sit up seating on the bridge-deck, no proper lounging space and three cabins that you never use.

But every one to their own.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:13   #3355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
I think there is a huge benefit from a galley up in a charter situation. You use the hull space for 4 cabins.

A galley up on a cat for a cruising couple just reduces the living space. This inevitably leads to sit up seating on the bridge-deck, no proper lounging space and three cabins that you never use.

All good points by everyone! The Admiral wants the rooms for all the kids and family to visit. I want the hull length for speed and the safety that affords. It will be our retirement home so having more comfortable living quarters makes a difference over time. I love the videos of Wildcat sailing on utube. That’s the way to travel! Wish I could afford that 570…although it’s a galley up. she is not a fan of the exposed helms on every other 570 out there. Sorry I did not mean to hijack thread topic.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:13   #3356

Just going to lob this one in here as can’t remember if it’s already been posted:

https://grenada.boatshed.com/custom_...at-245046.html

I like the recessed netting, secure cockpit and the fact it’s already done a pacific run... would make a nice platform for us and the dogs. On the cons side, there’s not really a lot of privacy for guests (unless you have them the aft cabin), and it’s a tri, so payload is decreased.

N
Old 02-01-2022, 13:01   #3357

Boat: EDELCAT33

There is Kurt Hughes almost finished boat for sale $80,000 in CA
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0640.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	250676
Is in the Facebook group
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 14:26   #3358

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Especially the value in getting broke by fixing, maintaining and operating them....
A max 45ft cat is enough and comfy to accommodate a large family and getting you around the world. More is just burning money...a lot will say 38 is enough and I agree but with a family the extra space is life quality.
Just my 2 cents...
I appreciate that english may not be your first language but some of your posts in various threads are coming close to needing to be reported. Sorry but it's not correct to be telling everyone exactly and only what is suitable for their life, and that nothing else is even worth considering...

That is simply not the case, and each boat brings it's own plus and minus, and both purchase price as well as ongoing costs are a factor for everyone (for example some people may want to buy cheaper and spread the cost over some years of maintenance and upgrades)

Who says a 45ft cat is enough? Some people may like to have more space or capability than what may be sufficient for you. So that's not 'burning money' to them - instead that is 'money well spent'...

I know personally that 45ft would not be enough for me and 'a large family' (as you wrote) - in fact not even close to enough for what I like to do. But of course some other 'large families' cruise on even smaller and less budget, and that is all ok too.

So yes I do still believe that some of these older larger cats can offer value to the right person with certain goals.

They are not superlight like a modern performance cat so can offer more comfort and payload capacity, but still gain back some of what is lost simply by being a bigger, longer, and therefore faster boat in the first place.

So these bigger older boats can be a way to get many of these compromises at some type of reasonable price still.

All options are worth considering. Your blanket shutting down of anyone and any post that meet your 'perfect boat / HH44' seems unreasonable to me.

Not everyone is the same as you, has the same thoughts, or the same needs and you don't seem to want to appreciate that - everyone must conform and fit in your 'box'.

Give us a break please and tone some of your posts down a notch and accept that other people, some even maybe more experienced than you, can have different opinions that also may have merit.

Old 02-01-2022, 14:29   #3359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post

I agree with this too

I'm someone who spends a lot of time in the kitchen / galley so it's a multipurpose space for me - I always even tend to have a computer there too to multitask while I'm preparing food - so galley up is factor in all of this, in addition to the ability to watchkeep from there.

But your points are certainly valid, and can maybe depend on the boat size as well.

These bigger cats, the Lagoon 570 as the example here, tend to have enough space on the bridgedeck to do everything, although I will agree that on many of these boats the cockpit is still smaller than is maybe ideal.

Personally, even on this size, I don't really think cats need two dining tables / eating areas. It seems wastful to me from a space utilisation point of view.

I would have a smaller salon and a bigger cockpit with the primary dining table outside there, since most people tend to have a full set of cockpit curtains anyway these days, and that outdoor space can be cooled and heated if necessary too with the right setup.

But even that is of course location dependant. In colder areas the opposite may be equally valid as well.

Old 02-01-2022, 23:47   #3360

Quote:
Personally, even on this size, I don't really think cats need two dining tables / eating areas. It seems wastful to me from a space utilisation point of view.

I would have a smaller salon and a bigger cockpit with the primary dining table outside there, since most people tend to have a full set of cockpit curtains anyway these days, and that outdoor space can be cooled and heated if necessary too with the right setup.

But even that is of course location dependant. In colder areas the opposite may be equally valid as well.

And not just in colder areas. Spain is 43+ in summer and we often end up sitting inside with the air con on for meals (when in a marina), and then there’s winter where even with the heat on / full cockpit tent it’s just too cold. The only place I’ve truly ever been able to live in the cockpit was the Carib (and even then I suspect in summer an air con / inside table would be invaluable).

Not to mention as well for those of us working as we go, the inside table is brilliant for setting a white background for video calls, along with blocking out seagull cries, jet skies, and all other manner of non-work call friendly noises...

For me the Seawind range has the perfect setup - two tables but the ability to really open the inside when needed. All IMHO of course.

N

Tags
cheap, paracelle