Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2021, 00:38   #3316
Registered User
 
ausnp84's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK, Australia, Europe
Boat: Custom Catamaran
Posts: 854
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

I really like the idea of an ally cat... tough as anything, easily repairable, all the deck fittings can be welded on (or bolted to external rails / tracks) and if you donít like the cabin, chop it off and start again. Iíve seen a few come up in Aus and the US, but nothing over here in the Med...

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:58   #3317
Registered User

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 810
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
....and there's one of those for sale pretty cheap!:
https://treasure.craigslist.org/boa/...418311022.html

But does it sail as well as a grand piano?

Probably....


This is a very old catamaran design, and is said by Charles Kanter to be somewhat top heavy, and have a pitching issue due to that and the canoe sterns. Apparently some have been lengthened and had transom sterns added.


How many (coastal) sailboats actually spend the majority of their time actually pure sailing as compared to motor sailing? Realistically this boat probably fits well with the style of sailing that is most prevalent. The beautiful, in my opinion from a practical standpoint pilothouse style bridge deck cabin would make it a wonderful boat for coastal cruising, or a "looper".... Imagine cruising the ICW or down the Mississippi Tombigbee, or great lakes.... with the mast up, sailing when there was a suitable breeze. You aren't going to be racing the pylons, or sailing the ARC or Puddle Jump, but it might be a very livable practical boat for a lot of people.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 17:25   #3318
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Boat: 50' aluminium power cat
Posts: 272
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
I really like the idea of an ally cat... tough as anything, easily repairable, all the deck fittings can be welded on (or bolted to external rails / tracks) and if you donít like the cabin, chop it off and start again. Iíve seen a few come up in Aus and the US, but nothing over here in the Med...
We got ours (power) in the Caribbean, but it's a French design from their Prometa shipyard. They did the Banana 43's, and others, but really not many built.
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:24   #3319
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 32
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
I really like the idea of an ally cat... tough as anything, easily repairable, all the deck fittings can be welded on (or bolted to external rails / tracks) and if you donít like the cabin, chop it off and start again. Iíve seen a few come up in Aus and the US, but nothing over here in the Med...

N
Though as anything? I read that the Mumby catamarans are made with 4mm alu sheets for the bottom. Strong yes, but I do not call that though as anything. On the other end of the spectrum you have a Garcia Explocat that uses 14mm.

Easily repairable? Welding aluminium is not that easy. You wont find many alu welders in remote places. Repairing fibreglass is probably easier in most cases.
AlfaGTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:01   #3320
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Posts: 1,819
Images: 2
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
On the other end of the spectrum you have a Garcia Explocat that uses 14mm.

Are you sure - That is about 40kg / sqm guessing the wetted surface is about 80 sqm thats 3.2 tonnes just for sheet under the water line. given the light displacement being quoted I can't believe this is the case.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:11   #3321
Registered User
 
ausnp84's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK, Australia, Europe
Boat: Custom Catamaran
Posts: 854
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
Though as anything? I read that the Mumby catamarans are made with 4mm alu sheets for the bottom. Strong yes, but I do not call that though as anything. On the other end of the spectrum you have a Garcia Explocat that uses 14mm.

Easily repairable? Welding aluminium is not that easy. You wont find many alu welders in remote places. Repairing fibreglass is probably easier in most cases.
Not sure I get your point. Given this is a multihull thread, and ally is just about the only metal that can be used sensibly for a multihull, then yes, Iíd say an ally multihull is tough as it gets... for a multihull. Of course there are different grades of ally cat (cruising to exploration) but thatís splitting hairs eh.

Run up on a reef in the Carib / South Pacific in an ally cat and you could internally rivet / seal a panel over the crack until a welder can be found or you weld it back yourself - skills depending. Do the same thing in a FRP cat and good luck doing an ďeasy fixĒ. Soggy core, the need to haul or dry out to repair anything near / below the waterline... I know which boat Iíd rather be on.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:23   #3322
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 32
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Are you sure - That is about 40kg / sqm guessing the wetted surface is about 80 sqm thats 3.2 tonnes just for sheet under the water line. given the light displacement being quoted I can't believe this is the case.
The thinnest plating of the Explocat 52 is 5mm, which builds to 8, 10 and 12mm, reaching 14mm at the bottom of the hulls.

Found that here: https://www.katamarans.com/garcia-explocat-52/
AlfaGTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 17:19   #3323
Registered User
 
snort's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trunk (boot) of my car
Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Posts: 1,228
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Can anyone guess what the real deal is on this ad for a Lagoon 400? Used, they're more than twice as expensive for the most abused:
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/94075
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:03   #3324
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Belgium
Posts: 755
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Probably a partial share
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:54   #3325
Registered User
 
snort's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trunk (boot) of my car
Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Posts: 1,228
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
Probably a partial share
No, it's for sale. I contacted the owner, but when a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:06   #3326
Registered User
 
Sun and Moon's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida Atlantic coast
Boat: Bristol 29
Posts: 334
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

1978 Prout Snowgoose 37 , in Portugal. E 47,500, VAT paid
Looks like it's in pretty good shape.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...al-258804.html
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:34   #3327
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,636
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Can anyone guess what the real deal is on this ad for a Lagoon 400? Used, they're more than twice as expensive for the most abused:
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/94075
Amateur or incomplete repair of a hurricane totaled boat?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:36   #3328
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,636
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Not sure I get your point. Given this is a multihull thread, and ally is just about the only metal that can be used sensibly for a multihull, then yes, Iíd say an ally multihull is tough as it gets... for a multihull. Of course there are different grades of ally cat (cruising to exploration) but thatís splitting hairs eh.

Run up on a reef in the Carib / South Pacific in an ally cat and you could internally rivet / seal a panel over the crack until a welder can be found or you weld it back yourself - skills depending. Do the same thing in a FRP cat and good luck doing an ďeasy fixĒ. Soggy core, the need to haul or dry out to repair anything near / below the waterline... I know which boat Iíd rather be on.

N
Most FRP cats are solid core below the waterline these days. I'd maintain that it's easier to both keep the supplies on hand and apply a quick and dirty fiberglass patch than something to aluminum, but of course it all depends what the nature and extent of the damage is.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 19:55   #3329
Registered User
 
snort's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trunk (boot) of my car
Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Posts: 1,228
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Cheap Prout in TX:
https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d...405599306.html
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:27   #3330
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Belgium
Posts: 755
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I'd maintain that it's easier to both keep the supplies on hand and apply a quick and dirty fiberglass patch than something to aluminum

I think about the various remote or third world ports where Iíve lived or travelled to: Places in India, Vietnam, Syria, Oman, Thai, Malay, etc.

Pretty much zero chance of repairing an aluminum hull in those places unless youíre filthy rich and spend thousands just transporting some specialist in with his equipment.

Fiberglass craftspeople were everywhere. Wood in most places. Steel everywhere.

So that helps me to keep focus on what hull materials are best for remote cruising.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cheap, paracelle

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:55.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.