Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018, 10:54   #31

Boat: 1981 Ontario 32
Re: Change Color Of Hulls With Vinyl?

I just wrapped my Ontario 32. The wrap has a 5 year warranty.
It looks excellent even from 6" away, time will tell how it lasts but aluminum boats stand up well when professionals do the installation.

I urethaned my last boat at a cost of 25K, it showed marks easily and is difficult to touch up.

Wrapping my 32' sailboat with graphics was $4K.

Pictures on request.
Paul
s/v Audacious
Paul Rossmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:53   #32
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajucito View Post
I accidentally scratched a cat that was vinyl wrapped owner said repair cost 80$ i went to pay him and had look at the repair patch it was virtually invisible.I have a dark blue hull that is faded. I wrap job is fast cheap and if well done will last a few years. Om definately going to do it. I have see repainted boats and no matter how well done they look repainted. With a vinyl wrap the finish is specracular and repairs are quick easy cheap and invisible whats not to like about that
Sounds OK, but we painted our boat 3 years ago and it still has a spectacular finish. We used LPU (International Paints Perfection) using roller and tipping method. It had been previously painted by professionals.

Downside? We painted a dinghy, two rowing shells and friend's 33 foot boat first. Just to get the technique correct.

Upside? We learned a lot of interesting things, including the use of Guide Coat to get a perfect finish. Also, I now know we'll never, ever paint another boat! Perhaps a vinyl wrap in our future in a decade or so...
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:14   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Perhaps a vinyl wrap in our future in a decade or so...

Ive a feeling that vw will be lasting as long as paint by then
Old 18-09-2018, 12:29   #34

Boat: Robertson and Caine Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaRed View Post
Our cat (Lagoon 52F) has a vinyl wrap on it. The wrap has pros and cons like anything else. It does look great but you need to take care of it by using vinyl cleaner to help keep it's luster. YOU DO NOT WAX IT. Early on, we did bump a few things and the vinyl can be fragile. The patches over the tears actually don't look that bad (surprisingly). We solved the problem with large blow up fenders. We live on the boat and we're in and out of docks, fuel docks all over. Realistically, I think the wrap lasts about 3-4 years before it needs to be replaced. I'm debating what we're going to do about ours next year. You can see pictures on our website: www.sailsummerkai.com. Hope that helps.
We just wrapped our Leopard 40 and love the look. I am researching best options for fenders to protest the wrap. What has been your experience? Should the fenders have Terry socks or some other sort of material to keep the plastic fender from dragging on the wrap? Appreciate any insights.

Btw...your boat looks awesome.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180917_161419.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	177599
gbillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 12:38   #35

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rossmo View Post
I just wrapped my Ontario 32. The wrap has a 5 year warranty.
It looks excellent even from 6" away, time will tell how it lasts but aluminum boats stand up well when professionals do the installation.

I urethaned my last boat at a cost of 25K, it showed marks easily and is difficult to touch up.

Wrapping my 32' sailboat with graphics was $4K.

Pictures on request.
Paul
s/v Audacious

That price is very reasonable. I wish there was someone on the Gulf coast that would do my 34' trawler. I would like to see those pictures if you could send them as an attachment to an email to jim.isbell@gmail.com
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 13:09   #36

Has anyone who wrapped their boat noticed a significant solar warming effect on the hulls? It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if that were the case, but I'm wondering how much more heat retention a colored hull has.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 19:47   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
Has anyone who wrapped their boat noticed a significant solar warming effect on the hulls? It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if that were the case, but I'm wondering how much more heat retention a colored hull has.

That has been discussed quite a lot and I think it comes down to yes, dark gets hotter, cored hulls, not so much, solid glass hulls, moreso.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 05:03   #38

Boat: Lagoon, 52

Your boat looks great! In order to keep the vinyl looking new, I use Star Brite vinyl cleaner/restorer. If it's looking really faded I use a vinyl restorer from the automotive industry. I found the "Car Guys" brand works exceptionally well. You can find it on Amazon. Finally, I've done it all by hand and you need to take very broad strokes to get it to look even. I've been tempted to try a random orbital buffer but I haven't yet.
LagunaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 17:15   #39

Hi all,

I've been interested in wrapping the 'skirt' of my flybridge (whos gelcoat is pretty stuffed) with a white vinyl wrap. What sort of longevity do these wraps have - and is it only the colour that deteriorates or the wrap itself? What sort of longevity would you estimate a white wrap to have?

Cheers!
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 17:23   #40

Boat: Lagoon, 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
Hi all,

I've been interested in wrapping the 'skirt' of my flybridge (whos gelcoat is pretty stuffed) with a white vinyl wrap. What sort of longevity do these wraps have - and is it only the colour that deteriorates or the wrap itself? What sort of longevity would you estimate a white wrap to have?

Cheers!

I think that’s a good idea, especially if the skirt doesn’t get much stepping on or bumping. The vinyl can be somewhat fragile but it’s the color that fades the fastest.
LagunaRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull