Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2018, 16:24   #1

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Catamaran shopping

Hi all. This winter will see the start of our catamaran shopping. I have been keeping an eye on the online sites including on here. But... Online only takes us so far. I would like to plan a winter holiday around a destination which allows us to look at and set foot on a wide variety of makes and models to help fine tune our needs and wants list.
So, I need a location with lots of cats, decent weather (around first week of January) and any recommendations of brokers in the area.
We are looking in the 40-45 foot range.
I know Florida is the obvious choice, where else can you recommend.
Oh, and we would be flying out of Alberta Canada, so reasonable flight times would play a factor. US or carribean. Possibly Europe.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 16:32   #2

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA
Re: Catamaran shopping

Next month is Annapolis which maybe too soon. Miami has their strictly sail show in February. Miami International Boat Show Official Site | Miami, FL

Also check out Wiley Sharp. He’s got a YouTube channel and has been doing this for a long time. No attitude like many brokers. http://www.superyachts.com/yacht-bro...5&agent_id=881
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 17:37   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Hi all. This winter will see the start of our catamaran shopping. I have been keeping an eye on the online sites including on here. But... Online only takes us so far. I would like to plan a winter holiday around a destination which allows us to look at and set foot on a wide variety of makes and models to help fine tune our needs and wants list.
So, I need a location with lots of cats, decent weather (around first week of January) and any recommendations of brokers in the area.
We are looking in the 40-45 foot range.
I know Florida is the obvious choice, where else can you recommend.
Oh, and we would be flying out of Alberta Canada, so reasonable flight times would play a factor. US or carribean. Possibly Europe.
January - decent weather? Queensland!

And lots of cats!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 18:43   #4

We have been to annapolis for the fall show, it was educational for sure. But we are looking for used.
I am subscribed to Wiley sharp as well. Quick panos only show so much, which is why I would like to step aboard a variety of models. Closer to January we might just contact him and go that way, but I figured I might as well probe the vast experience here first.
And it has to be January, that is when my wife has holidays booked.
Old 18-09-2018, 18:45   #5

The only way we are going to get down under, is by buying the boat and sailing there.;-)
It's a long flight for only a week off unfortunately.
Old 18-09-2018, 18:52   #6

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Can you get to Germany? I know you said you’re looking used but Boot Düsseldorf is having their show in January and from what I know about it, it’s one of the best. Here’s a link.

https://www.boat-duesseldorf.com/

You gotta love Wiley’s pano shots ��. You should hit him up. I’m sure he can provide more details of best places to show. I watched Gary Fretz talk about buying used Cats and how you can get more for your money. I took notes.

1. Buy in the Summer when few people are buying
* Buy in June - Aug (can save 15 - 20%)
* Buy in heavy market locations; St Martin, Tortola, Martinique & Guadalupe (can save 15 - 20K)
* Know the actual selling prices versus the listing prices
* Look at 5 year old charter boat with a full refit guarantee
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 03:18   #7

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

5 years ago we where shopping for a boat and went to Fort Lauderdale. There where several boats that we looked at . I think it is still the biggest concentration of used multhulls around . We found a broker by fluke who was excellent he likes cats and has one as well. We made a deal on a boat paid deposit and everything. He was very gracious when we decided not to go ahead . His name is Cal Landau and noe works with the multihull company . Grenada is also a good place and is where we ended up purchasing aboat . Chris Rundlett is the broker we used there he is also connect to the multihull company
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 05:01   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I was in the same position 5 years ago, even including your location (yes I'm from Edmonton).

The best choice is Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. There will be tons of Cats of all shapes, sizes and ages there. All the other locations in the Caribbean (BVI, St. Martin, St. Lucia, Grenada) will have way less used boats to look at, if any that fit your criteria.

However, first let me prepare you for the tough question. Any broker that is going to take you around to look at multiple boats is going to be very forward. They are going to outright ask you how much money you have to spend and if the money is liquid right now. Depending on your answers, will dictate how they treat you (see recent post about brokers). If they think you are just kicking tires, they will not care that you flew from Canada. They will give you the runaround, stop returning your calls regularily, or may outright ignore you. Be prepaired for this.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 06:06   #9

I think it is reasonable for brokers not to have their time wasted . If you are honest with them before you arrive you should be ok .
Old 19-09-2018, 07:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I think it is reasonable for brokers not to have their time wasted . If you are honest with them before you arrive you should be ok .
Totally agree. I have no intention of being dishonest. January is meant to gather info to streamline our list. We are looking to purchase closer to the end of hurricane season, and hopefully be aboard close to the end of 2019.
This is why I want a place with a lot of cats. Less effort and travel required between showings.
Once we settle on a location, I am hoping to line up some private listings as well.
Old 19-09-2018, 10:31   #11

Didn’t think you were . As I said in my previous post lauderdale is the place . And the broker I mentioned treated us well . Lots of good cutom boats there as well Good luck
Old 20-09-2018, 13:17   #12

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
Can you get to Germany? I know you said you’re looking used but Boot Düsseldorf is having their show in January and from what I know about it, it’s one of the best. Here’s a link.

https://www.boat-duesseldorf.com/

You gotta love Wiley’s pano shots ��. You should hit him up. I’m sure he can provide more details of best places to show. I watched Gary Fretz talk about buying used Cats and how you can get more for your money. I took notes.

1. Buy in the Summer when few people are buying
* Buy in June - Aug (can save 15 - 20%)
* Buy in heavy market locations; St Martin, Tortola, Martinique & Guadalupe (can save 15 - 20K)
* Know the actual selling prices versus the listing prices
* Look at 5 year old charter boat with a full refit guarantee

boat düsseldorf will show the usual suspects of Lagoon, FP, Bali I suppose. Certainly fun but very different from a used boat. there is not one used boat present on the show, its all brand new stuff. So for the OP this will be waisted time & money.

Of your points I would scratch off the buy in St Martin & Tortola. Irma hasn't left that much to buy there.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, shopping