Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2019, 05:37   #76

Boat: SeaDog 30
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull Crew Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
The second big difference is that on cats the boom is generally not an issue. It is up high, there is a bimini roof between you and it, and the wide sheeting controls the boom even when well eased. Boom brakes are not required. Unexpected gybes do not sweep the deck. Preventers are used to stop flopping, but aren't needed to prevent the gybe.
With only a few thousand miles of cat experience (far less than yours) I have the impression that a Chinese gybe may have the same disastrous impact on the rigging of a cat. Hence, boom breaks may still make sense on a cat, even if an accidental gybe is less likely due to smaller propensity to sudden yawing.
Did I miss something or am I overly cautious?
OldKetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 06:28   #77

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

One thing that I hadn't realized was simply tacking. We had an experienced crew working with us on our Leopard 40 (the captain being an ASA instructor), we all had to work through technique a couple of times... Cat's (esp larger ones) have A LOT of mass and 2 hulls, making it much more susceptible to ending up in irons (or I just suck at tacking!)
theBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 06:36   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldKetch View Post
With only a few thousand miles of cat experience (far less than yours) I have the impression that a Chinese gybe may have the same disastrous impact on the rigging of a cat.
On a cat, the main is sheeted out from the end of a very wide traveller. It won't travel as far or slam as hard as a fully eased main on a monohull.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 10:30   #79

Boat: SeaDog 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
On a cat, the main is sheeted out from the end of a very wide traveller. It won't travel as far or slam as hard as a fully eased main on a monohull.
True, if the car is moved to the end of the traveller with a tightish mainsheet.
I saw many other setups too.
OldKetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 10:59   #80

Boat: Hanse 531

More of the anecdotal stuff on a Lagoon 52S, but... 50+ knots of TWS and the people in the cat are just like 'whooaa!'.. but standing inside in their normal everyday clothes without holding on to much anything.. and there is a free cup on the table

Well, downwind is downwind.

Old 30-11-2019, 10:59   #81

Quote:
True, if the car is moved to the end of the traveller with a tightish mainsheet.
Most cat's will have either a wide traveller or double line sheeting with a wide base. Neither would allow the boom to move far if backwinded.

On our boat the boom could barely reach the centreline in an accidental gybe. And that's if I didn't have the preventer rigged, which can easily be done from the cockpit.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 11:09   #82

Here's another one

Old 30-11-2019, 15:58   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Most cat's will have either a wide traveller or double line sheeting with a wide base. Neither would allow the boom to move far if backwinded.

Both in my case
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 17:12   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBigKahuna View Post
One thing that I hadn't realized was simply tacking. We had an experienced crew working with us on our Leopard 40 (the captain being an ASA instructor), we all had to work through technique a couple of times... Cat's (esp larger ones) have A LOT of mass and 2 hulls, making it much more susceptible to ending up in irons (or I just suck at tacking!)

Not every instructor is experienced on cats. you shouldn't be ending in irons.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 17:18   #85

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBigKahuna View Post
It's actually the exact opposite. I remember transitioning from mnohull tacking to cat tacking.

It's because the Catamaran DOESN'T have much mass that tacking is hard.

On a mono the mass from the keel and the more aerodynamic shape keeps you moving through the tack easily.

On a cat, it's usually got a poor aerodynamic shape and little mass relative to the amount of hull presented to the wind. So it stalls mid tack. If it was heavier it would turn right through it like a monohull.

So.... The solution is to get plenty of speed on for a tack.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 17:53   #86
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
With only a few thousand miles of cat experience (far less than yours) I have the impression that a Chinese gybe may have the same disastrous impact on the rigging of a cat. Hence, boom breaks may still make sense on a cat, even if an accidental gybe is less likely due to smaller propensity to sudden yawing.
Did I miss something or am I overly cautious?

Yes, I think so (having experienced many accidental jibes on cruising cats). So long as you don't let too much sheet out, the boom is held down. Lock the traveler to leeward. With "cat" rigged shrouds, you should not have much sheet out, to avoid chafe.

BTW, many of these "accidental" jibes were intentional, testing the performance of boom brakes and jibe softeners.
Old 30-11-2019, 17:55   #87
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

Those other set-ups would be... wrong. At least in terms of safety. Heck, beach cats are sailed that way.
Old 30-11-2019, 22:46   #88

An aspect of crew safety that's often overlooked is the dinghy. The ability to carry a good size dinghy and outboard, and launch and retrieve it easily is a real enhancement to safety.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:59   #89

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
More of the anecdotal stuff on a Lagoon 52S, but... 50+ knots of TWS and the people in the cat are just like 'whooaa!'.. but standing inside in their normal everyday clothes without holding on to much anything.. and there is a free cup on the table

Well, downwind is downwind.
Isn't the summary of differences between catamarans and monohulls on crew safety that monohulls heel and sometimes roll, while the movements of catamarans are smaller. That may have an impact on head and shoulder injuries, and maybe on foredeck safety too. People may also get more tired if the boat movements are big and continuous, and that could make them prone to accidents.

A pilot house solves the "normal clothes" problem in monohulls.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:12   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Isn't the summary of differences between catamarans and monohulls on crew safety that monohulls heel and sometimes roll, while the movements of catamarans are smaller. That may have an impact on head and shoulder injuries, and maybe on foredeck safety too. People may also get more tired if the boat movements are big and continuous, and that could make them prone to accidents.

A pilot house solves the "normal clothes" problem in monohulls.
That summary would seem likely (at least for a non-multihull sailor like me). The challenge, I think, is to actually establish this as some kind of a fact.

It's difficult.

Tags
catamaran, crew, hull, monohull, safety