Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2020, 10:38   #1

Boat: Cal 29(Boston) Nautitech 441(Grenada)
Cameras wired to the MFC at the helm?

When I pick up a mooring I can not see it when we are close enough to grab it. All the new MFC displays seem to have video inputs. Has anyone placed video cameras about their catamaran to provide visibility to places not visible from the helm?
It would need to be very waterproof
It would need to be accessible to wipe salt and spray off the lens for mooring and docking
It possibly could have IR illumination for better visibility at night
Mounted high on the mast with a polarizing filter it might help spotting coral heads (in addition to the bow watch of course)

For example IRIS makes a wide variety of cameras that interface to my Raymarine MFC. They even have a through hull UW camera.
My car has a backup camera, why not have one on my boat?
CaptRehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 13:25   #2

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Cameras wired to the MFC at the helm?

Gday Captn Rehab, We have a lagoon 440 with MFD at the helm and in the saloon at the nav table. both are interconnected. There are two weatherproof infared cameras installed on the rear of the solid dodger over the cockpit covering the two stern quarters. I love them as this is a blind spot when reversing into a dock and the camberas give me good coverage of this area.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
Oz
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 15:32   #3

Boat: Cal 29(Boston) Nautitech 441(Grenada)

Correction Multi Function Display not MFC
CaptRehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Gday Captn Rehab, We have a lagoon 440 with MFD at the helm and in the saloon at the nav table. both are interconnected. There are two weatherproof infared cameras installed on the rear of the solid dodger over the cockpit covering the two stern quarters. I love them as this is a blind spot when reversing into a dock and the camberas give me good coverage of this area.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
Oz
Do you have links/part/model numbers you could share?
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:18   #5

Boat: S2 35C

Raymarine, and likely their competition, have moved heavily to video interfaces in their MFD's. Their radar is a video signal input to the MFD from the masthead. They also offer high quality cameras that will withstand above deck mounting. I installed a video cam for a customer on a trailerable 35' sportfisher aimed aft. I thought he wanted to monitor "fish on!" action from the helm. No. He accessed the MFD wirelessly from his smartphone while he was trailering it to use as a rearview mirror for monitoring traffic and backing up.
duckpond49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, helm