Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2022, 12:29   #1

Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

I'm currently trying to purchase a catamaran, located in France, which does not become available for handover for a few months.

It's going to be delivered to me in the Caribbean via sailing it across the Atlantic before the handover to me.

I am working with my local broker to help guide me through the purchase process with the foreign French broker.

I'm stuck on two things and was wondering if anyone has experienced this before:
  1. The broker won't allow me to conduct a sea trial as a condition of purchase in the pre-purchase agreement.
  2. The broker won't allow for 2 weeks that I requested to conduct survey and sea trial. He only wants to give me I think 4 days for a survey. And no sea trial. I'm not sure it's enough time for me to survey in the Caribbean because planning a surveyor to look at the boat there might have a delay.
I have given him my ID and proof of residence etc, and am ready to send a deposit, but he now seems offended and is threatening to sell the boat to another customer if I don't sign his agreement as given.

I haven't purchased a boat internationally before. It's a reasonably large (~15 employee?) La Rochelle broker.

Am I asking for unusual things from the selling broker?
katamarankris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

Is not a successful recent Transat sufficient proof of seaworthyness..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:51   #3

Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Is not a successful recent Transat sufficient proof of seaworthyness..
I don't know, would it be sufficient proof for you?
Old 03-10-2022, 12:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

If it passed the survey in the Caribe.. Yes.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 13:06   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by katamarankris View Post
I don't know, would it be sufficient proof for you?

Generally. But what broke during the trip? Hmmm.... But I can see why he does not want you backing out after delivery without a very good reason.

I would argue for the sea trial, but he may need to limit the reasons for rejection to actual failures (as opposed to just not liking the boat). If you want to decide if you like it, fly to France.
Old 03-10-2022, 13:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Generally. But what broke during the trip? Hmmm.... But I can see why he does not want you backing out after delivery without a very good reason.
Ah. I should have mentioned that I actually prefer to purchase in France immediately but the seller is only willing to deliver to Caribbean in several months.

The boat is not currently available to view, with the earliest viewing possible in November.

Am I still being unreasonable in your opinion?
Old 03-10-2022, 13:13   #7

Yes, you need to clarify whether you are specifying survey and sea trial where the boat is currently located OR after delivery.

My initial read was the former-- and IMO a reasonable request.

Also, timing may depend on availability/schedule of a qualified surveyor. May be next day in some areas and two weeks in others.

This is based on a number of boat purchases, yes in the U.S., but would also be my expectation for a purchase anywhere in the world. Not interested in buying blind.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 13:46   #8

Boat: Privilege 435

We did not push for a sea trial for Confianza and wish we did. There were multiple things that we were told were working/repaired after survey that were not. The surveyor was not able to 100% test all the systems, and some looked serviceable but were not in testing.
Old 03-10-2022, 13:47   #9

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

You’re not unreasonable. That said, the seller/ broker dictates the terms of sale. If he says no sea trial, he’s saying he will not accept an offer contingent on sea trial. It’s his to dictate.

If I offer a Lagoon 44 for $999, payment in manatee teeth at $99/tooth, that’s the offer. If a potential buyer doesn’t like it, too bad.
Old 03-10-2022, 14:02   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

This is simple.

If you don't like the terms you walk! But it doesn't matter what the broker wants, just what the seller and buyer agree to.
Old 03-10-2022, 14:04   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, katamarankris,

In the worst case for you, the seller is not capable of fixing what breaks on the delivery. I'd get out of the deal. You need to work with a different seller, imo, because his ideas are based on the fantasy of arriving in the Caribbean with everything shipshape. Now, it could be so, and it could not. The could not is where you'll have a problem.

Find another cat you want and buy it instead.

Ann
Old 03-10-2022, 14:04   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

So the owner has set his heart on one final blast across the Atlantic before dumping the boat on you and hope not too many things break. That or its being chartered selling berths on board to fund the cost of the journey. What happens if the mast falls down half way and you have paid a deposit?

If you don't buy it, does the boat still cross to the Caribbean? if so buy it when it arrives.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 14:27   #13

I agree with those who say sellers can ask for anything they want. But my question (as someone buying his first cat, and a multi hundred thousand dollar purchase) is:
Is this normal? It seems like a reputable brokerage, yet buying a boat sight unseen especially at the price of a house is concerning.

The pre-purchase contract he sent me says I can get out of the deal if a survey at the place of delivery says the boat is “not seaworthy”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
So the owner has set his heart on one final blast across the Atlantic before dumping the boat on you and hope not too many things break. That or its being chartered selling berths on board to fund the cost of the journey. What happens if the mast falls down half way and you have paid a deposit?

If you don't buy it, does the boat still cross to the Caribbean? if so buy it when it arrives.

Pete
If the mast falls down then I can get out of the deal because that would make it considered “not seaworthy” after the survey which is the only condition that lets me out of the deal.

I wonder what French law would consider “not seaworthy”. It seems that if the seller hits a reef but the boat still floats… I’m stuck?

If I don’t buy it now, then someone else may, and I lose the deal. The seller claims there are other interested buyers who he is threatening to sell to if I don’t move forward now.
Old 03-10-2022, 14:32   #14

Boat: Dufour 365 Grand Large

Interesting deal. It sounds like the boat is going to the Carib with or without your deal?

I don't understand why you can't go to France now and have a look. Anyway, too many weird conditions in this deal, why deal with the aggravation?

For a multi-100 thousand deal I would enjoy some a**kissing if I were purchasing...not aggressive used car salesman tactics.
Sailer_Med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 16:07   #15

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by katamarankris View Post
I'm currently trying to purchase a catamaran, located in France, which does not become available for handover for a few months.

It's going to be delivered to me in the Caribbean via sailing it across the Atlantic before the handover to me.

I am working with my local broker to help guide me through the purchase process with the foreign French broker.

I'm stuck on two things and was wondering if anyone has experienced this before:
  1. The broker won't allow me to conduct a sea trial as a condition of purchase in the pre-purchase agreement.
  2. The broker won't allow for 2 weeks that I requested to conduct survey and sea trial. He only wants to give me I think 4 days for a survey. And no sea trial. I'm not sure it's enough time for me to survey in the Caribbean because planning a surveyor to look at the boat there might have a delay.
I have given him my ID and proof of residence etc, and am ready to send a deposit, but he now seems offended and is threatening to sell the boat to another customer if I don't sign his agreement as given.

I haven't purchased a boat internationally before. It's a reasonably large (~15 employee?) La Rochelle broker.

Am I asking for unusual things from the selling broker?
Run away, they have something big to hide if no sea trial allowed. A sea trial is essential for the surveyor to find problems you cannot discover on land.

I had something similar with a Catana I wanted to buy. Well my smart surveyor came along with 2 big firetrucks from the local leisure airport, costed 300 bucks and they made a wet inferno…Catana sucked everything in being a wet sponge.
After that we filed a criminal betrayal case….
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broker, fuses, purchase