Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2022, 18:04   #166
Senior Cruiser
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 30,532
Images: 2
pirate Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

A sea trail proves nothing.. 3+ days into a voyage does
__________________

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 23:59   #167
Registered User

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 339
Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post
a good mechanic can tell you much more with an engine running at idle than while going at sea. But it might be the only reason for a sea trial besides knowing better the boat, but that's another matter that dosen't have to do with the sale process.
What cannot be evaluated while idling at the dock is a marginal cooling system. An engine that runs cool for half hr bursts for day sailing can start overheating the first day it heads south as a full time cruiser. Older raw water cooled engines are the usual ones and pulling the tstat is first line of defence...and adding a manual metering valve can help control the temps. None of this is found by mechanics at the dock. The system has to get a full heat soak under load if you want to know for sure. To each their own.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 00:38   #168
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lefkas Marina ,Greece
Boat: Bavaria 36
Posts: 22,801
Images: 3
Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A sea trail proves nothing.. 3+ days into a voyage does


Many surveyors would disagree itís allows the boat to be examined in motion , sure more time is better but itís better then nothing.

Iíd never buy a boat without being present on the typical sea trial . A sea trial will usually be the first time I will have the desired boat ď in motion ď

Itís an important part of the sale process.
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 08:29   #169
Registered User

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 339
Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Many surveyors would disagree itís allows the boat to be examined in motion , sure more time is better but itís better then nothing.

Iíd never buy a boat without being present on the typical sea trial . A sea trial will usually be the first time I will have the desired boat ď in motion ď

Itís an important part of the sale process.
It's more important on motor boats but dock running doesn't reveal slightly bent shafts or props. The cutlass may chatter but that's about all you get at the dock. The more boats you buy the more you learn what to look for.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 11:50   #170
Registered User

Join Date: May 2019
Location: Mexico currently
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Posts: 703
Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Many surveyors would disagree itís allows the boat to be examined in motion , sure more time is better but itís better then nothing.
Iíd never buy a boat without being present on the typical sea trial . A sea trial will usually be the first time I will have the desired boat ď in motion ď
Itís an important part of the sale process.

Another reason I'd never buy a boat without a sea trail, is that some boats . . . well, just don't "feel right" to me. Maybe just a weird response to the sea condition, or that she "wallows" in the water, whatever. It would be a darn shame to purchase a boat and then the first time out (and possibly every time thereafter), you just HATE the ride . . . But that's just me . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 19:34   #171
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 8
Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

I'll have an update on this in February/March when I finally take delivery.

The deposit is in the 50-100k USD range. Not 10k like one user mentioned.

I'm already familiar with the make/model of the boat so I don't need a sea trial for that reason. I just want my surveyor to be able to fully evaluate the condition of the boat (e.g. engines underway).

As one user pointed out, the language in the contract is probably how it is commonly written in France. Ultimately I am choosing to trust the broker to some extent. I think that a broker that tried to use the strict letter of the law to screw a buyer, instead of following the spirit of the contract, would at least damage his brokerage's reputation. Maybe I am naive, but I like to think that not everyone is an evil short-sighted bad actor. I know that I always consider my reputation when making decisions.

I'm in touch with the owner of the boat, and following the trip progress, and am not particularly stressed about this purchase so far.

I don't agree that there are "many" boats out there as some user's have said, as in my experience over the last months of searching, few catamarans have met my criteria.

I think it's common in threads on the internet for comments to become increasingly negative as the thread progresses. Is that true? If so, I wonder why that is. Even just for humans in general it's typical to see risk and problems. This is a necessity given to us by evolution I suppose. Which is okay, and useful really. So thanks everyone for your input so far.

That said, I choose to be brave and take a chance to trust the broker to act honorably (within reason) in order to get this specific boat that I want.
katamarankris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 19:48   #172
Registered User
 
LeeV's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Md
Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Posts: 1,294
Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by katamarankris View Post
I'll have an update on this in February/March when I finally take delivery.

The deposit is in the 50-100k USD range. Not 10k like one user mentioned.

I'm already familiar with the make/model of the boat so I don't need a sea trial for that reason. I just want my surveyor to be able to fully evaluate the condition of the boat (e.g. engines underway).

As one user pointed out, the language in the contract is probably how it is commonly written in France. Ultimately I am choosing to trust the broker to some extent. I think that a broker that tried to use the strict letter of the law to screw a buyer, instead of following the spirit of the contract, would at least damage his brokerage's reputation. Maybe I am naive, but I like to think that not everyone is an evil short-sighted bad actor. I know that I always consider my reputation when making decisions.

I'm in touch with the owner of the boat, and following the trip progress, and am not particularly stressed about this purchase so far.

I don't agree that there are "many" boats out there as some user's have said, as in my experience over the last months of searching, few catamarans have met my criteria.

I think it's common in threads on the internet for comments to become increasingly negative as the thread progresses. Is that true? If so, I wonder why that is. Even just for humans in general it's typical to see risk and problems. This is a necessity given to us by evolution I suppose. Which is okay, and useful really. So thanks everyone for your input so far.

That said, I choose to be brave and take a chance to trust the broker to act honorably (within reason) in order to get this specific boat that I want.
Bravery has nothing to do with this. You made your decision initially and didnít agree with any of the advice offered my more experienced owners. This is Risk, not bravery. If youíre lucky yor money wonít be wasted, and youíll wid up with a boat you can live with.
Btw, there were many more boats posted this month than any of the last 8 that Iíve kept track of. Good luck.
__________________
LeeV
Lipari 41
s/v AMERICAN HONEY
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 20:17   #173
Registered User
 
LeeV's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Md
Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Posts: 1,294
Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

Hereís an example of whatís beginning in the market; this is a as of today: https://www.catamarans.com/catamaran...est-Price-Cuts
__________________
LeeV
Lipari 41
s/v AMERICAN HONEY
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 20:42   #174
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 3
Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

You're correct that things break on the boat on extended trips that may not make the boat un-seaworthy but still cost time and money to fix. I'm going through the process from Canada with a French seller and broker. I travelled to europe to see the boat and did sea trial. I even got to stay on the boat while I was there to reduce my costs. I tested and found a number of things the surveyor missed by spending time on the boat.

In my experience if there is no sea-trial there is no sale. Keep in mind though that I sent the (supposedly refundable) deposit before the sea trial. But you are not doing anything out of the ordinary.
Wishbone Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 23:36   #175
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 8
Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Bravery has nothing to do with this. You made your decision initially and didnít agree with any of the advice offered my more experienced owners. This is Risk, not bravery. If youíre lucky yor money wonít be wasted, and youíll wid up with a boat you can live with.
Btw, there were many more boats posted this month than any of the last 8 that Iíve kept track of. Good luck.
I did agree with some of the posts, and some of the posts seem to agree with me making this purchase.

As a result of this thread, a sea trial was added to the purchase agreement. Although not with my ideal legal language, sea trial is now in there along with surveying the boat before handoff in February/March.
katamarankris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 20:37   #176
Registered User

Join Date: May 2019
Location: Mexico currently
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Posts: 703
Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by katamarankris View Post
I'll have an update on this in February/March when I finally take delivery.

I wish you the Best of Luck . . . . and hope you don't need it.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 17:01   #177
Registered User
 
caradow's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On the Boat
Boat: Oyster 55
Posts: 659
Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

In all honesty I thought this was one of the most bazair yet entertaining discussions I have ever read on CF.
So what happened?
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 20:15   #178
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: new jersey
Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch and 2000 Hylas 54
Posts: 84
Re: Broker refuses to put sea trial as purchase condition

Sea Trial for a sailing vessel for sure. You have got to feel the helm. Good luck
rockborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
broker, fuses, purchase

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extended sea trial on pre catamaran purchase Piscis Multihull Sailboats 69 16-10-2021 07:33
Boat purchase - Broker role and condition report Harry-AU General Sailing Forum 16 10-10-2018 20:03
Broker charging for a sea trial?? Piney General Sailing Forum 90 28-02-2015 08:10

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.