Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Beautiful Catamaran
is an oxmoron 10 25.00%
is not an oxymoron 29 72.50%
what's an oxymoron? 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2009, 23:42   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Arghhhhh!!! a sailboat with a flying bridge!!!! Look at it's boom!! we have the first set of spreaders at that height! That rig is just designed to try to break the mast. It has nothing to do with sailing as the photo perfectly shows: no forward motion at all !!! Now look at the Oyster... not my first choice (center cockpit again) but see, it's sailing, pushing water away from the bow, with those white things hoisted that catch the wind and make her go! Look at that yankee with the high aspect staysail sweeping the deck behind it! Shame the boom is a bit too high up but hey, it's a CC.

Next is that purple thing... what is it, a shelter for woman that think different? It's got an anchor at the stern but not on the bow (is it going backwards?). It's cabin looks like an AlpenKreuzer... you know, those little trailers where the lid becomes the roof of an tent. It's radar dome is smaller than my GPS antenna and I see it needs 11 crew to sail it. Assuming that the crew aren't midgets, the boom is at least 12 feet above the cockpit floor which is 5 feet above the water for a whopping 17 feet off the water, almost topping that Privilege thing. But at least the main sail has the right shape, something that can't be said about the asymmetric spinnaker on it's bowsprit. The davits are a joke and they lost the dinghy already.

;-))
cheers,
Nick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vouwwagen.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	7533  
Attached Images

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 05:43   #17

I think it's hard to design a good looking cat, but it is possible for sure. It's a completely different aesthetic from a mono. That's not to say that is easy to design a beautiful mono because there are many "dogs" out there (no offense to dogs).

Personally I prefer the sleeker looking monos or the traditional woodies, but it's really not a big deal. You want a seaworthy comfortable boat first and foremost (if you sail it) and the rest is icing on the cake.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 05:57   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Anyone else's opinion on my boat is irrelevant, the name of the boat says it all actually.

As for boats with two masts - thats just silly.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 06:51   #19

Kind of suprised you ask a question like this. Seems akin to asking a stranger if your wife is pretty. Since I don't want to risk a poke in the nose I'll decline to answer.

Wonder how long this thread will be open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
I've been reared on classic yachts, such as those designed by Alfred Mylne, and every time someone decribes a catamaran as a 'beautiful cat' I stop in my tracks. Are they serious? I can think of many positive adjectives to describe catamarans, but beautiful, graceful and elegant are three that I would never use. Is it just me, or do others have this problem too?

Don't get me wrong, I think catamaran's in general are wonderful and some over 50ft look almost elegant, occasionally verging on the graceful and once in a while bordering on the beautiful, but for me they never quite make the grade. Which is a shame, because many people have said of my boat, "what a beautiful boat" and I've just thought "yeah, yeah, stop patronising me". This attitude detracts from my enjoyment.

Please convince me that 'beautiful catamaran' is not an oxymoron.

Chris
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 07:07   #20

The former.

A beutiful sailboat has a springy sheer, a traditional transom, a squared cabin with bronze ports, bronze hardware. Sounds like a Cape Dory, which of course, I own, duh... Cats are ugly, BUT they are roomy as all get at. The worst aspect of sailing a cat for me is the horrible motion when taking a sea off the stern quarter. They corkscrew through the water as the swell picks up the corners and sets them back down. The only time I have ever felt ill at ease while sailing was on a 55 foot cat sailing the channel off Mauai. Once anchored I wouldn't mind a cat though.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 07:58   #21
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think we all know that
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 08:50   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Since I'm on the cat, looking out, and beauty is on the eyes of the beholder, the most beautiful scenario is me on my all plastic, no wood exposed catamaran in a slip between a Midnight Lace and an immaculately maintained Gaff headed Schooner smothered in teak and bronze. Providing, of course that both are crewed by [fill in the blank]. I'm currently leaning toward Irish maidens with green eyes and devilish smiles.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 09:21   #23

Chris,

Good on you for having the balls to post your perspective. I can't see a definitive answer arriving any time soon, and I truly hope this doesn't descend into another cat vs mono pissing contest. That said, I tend to agree with your take. I had a fairly hard time convincing my wife to charter a catamaran--she envisioned a giant beach cat. Now I'm not permitted to sail a mono with her aboard. Her attitude is similar to those who haven't seen a cruising cat, which includes many sailors in the Northeast US. Cruising cats are rare around here. I've spent perhaps more time on power boats than sail, so the lines on a cat don't look quite so alien to me. In fact, the lines on most pilot house monohulls are just plain ugly. Cats incorporate essentially a pilot house, and do it much more gracefully than most any monohull I've seen. Ok, I still think the Leopard cats are a little funny looking. But I've chartered a Lagoon 420 and thought it was very good looking, regardless of hull form.

Brett
LtBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 14:25   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Low freeboard on that monohull....or are they shuttling cattle to market?

It's listing to starboard too. Maybe it's sinking? They do that you know..
badlattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 15:28   #25

Boat: fp athena 38 ..10 10
allcats are beautiful some more than others, except mabye thoes bald ones with the wrinkley skin ....jt
Old 25-03-2009, 18:21   #26

Boat: PDQ32
different definitions of beauty

I have a PDQ32 that I sail in Canada on water where cats are a rare beast. I have been rather surprised by the number of people who have approached to tell me how much they like the look of my boat. It happens so frequently that is has become almost a running joke " here comes another one.....". It may be the fact that people are seeing something new that makes them take note however the fact that they make the effort to come over and express their admiration of the boat suggests that there are many people out there who appreciate a well put together design even if it does not fit within the classic parameters for beauty under sail.
Old 25-03-2009, 19:56   #27
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I like every boat that is designed for sailing, incl. multi-hull. What I mean with that is that the design of hull(s) and deck are made with sailing performance as the goal. This as opposed to interior volume and layout as the starting point for hull and deck design. This is the original idea behind a yacht. When you design with interior volume and shape as the target, you design a freighter, the exact opposite of a yacht. I don't understand why people don't see that, I find it very simple.

This also means that I don't like cabin-tops, they weaken the construction significantly. I like flush decks and boats 50' and up should have enough room without cabin tops. A flying bridge on a sailboat is really the most stupid thing I ever heard. If you move the boom at all, it should go lower, not higher.

So, reading this I assume everybody knows I was joking in my earlier post. I actually like the lines of that purple cat but the choice of color is a nightmare. That privilege thing should have the mast removed.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 21:56   #28

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I like every boat that is designed for sailing, incl. multi-hull. What I mean with that is that the design of hull(s) and deck are made with sailing performance as the goal. This as opposed to interior volume and layout as the starting point for hull and deck design. This is the original idea behind a yacht. When you design with interior volume and shape as the target, you design a freighter, the exact opposite of a yacht. I don't understand why people don't see that, I find it very simple.

This also means that I don't like cabin-tops, they weaken the construction significantly. I like flush decks and boats 50' and up should have enough room without cabin tops. A flying bridge on a sailboat is really the most stupid thing I ever heard. If you move the boom at all, it should go lower, not higher.

So, reading this I assume everybody knows I was joking in my earlier post. I actually like the lines of that purple cat but the choice of color is a nightmare. That privilege thing should have the mast removed.

cheers,
Nick.
Nick I agree. A sail boat should be designed to sail. This is one of my favorites. Designed and built by the owner. 44' of pure sailing machine. He has singlehanded from Mexico to BC Canada the last 3 summers. Done Mexico alone for 4 winters....it is a cruising boat....."he taught me most monohulls and fatr cats are motorboats with good VHF reception"
A 9.9 HP Yamaha outboard. I have always liked "Pod" cats like this. this boat does 1.5 the wind speed up to about 15kts of wind then he starts to pull back as he is usually alone....:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bfd5.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	7545  
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 22:33   #29

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Henry,
Not to get too much off topic here, but, how do you like your PDQ 32? Any regrets?
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 02:35   #30

Boat: Woods Sagitta 9m
JMolan: that looks like a fantastic cat. Any more info?

Thanks.
pir8ped is offline   Reply With Quote