Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2016, 01:13   #1

Another rare 56' Aerorig cat (Hughes design) for sale

It's unusual in many aspects (aerorig, asymmetrical power, it has one stateroom converted to shop, single dagger board etc...) But why people do think that 15 years old cat (even so unusual) worth as much as 5 years old Lagoon in mint condition?!

56' Aerocat Canada Catamaran Yacht For Sale - Rubicon Yachts
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:43   #2

Re: Another rare 56' Aerorig cat (Hughes design) for sale

Some people will pay for the unique. Some people want what noone around can have.
The price is high 'cause it is the asking. or The owner paid ????? when new, So when selling they THINK it is worth the same or more as when new.
I was at a garage sale last week & she wanted $320.oo for a VCR 'cause it was a $700.oo Nakamichi when new. She said it was a bargain at her price.
6 years ago a friend of mine broke his ankle on his quad. I asked his wife how much. She told me $50.oo less than they paid for it. The quad still sits and she still wants $50.oo less than they paid for it.
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:22   #3

The owner needs to recoup the costs for rig.

The first very expensive one failed and was replaced by a similar very expensive one from a different supplier.

Shock ,Horror, an unstayed rig with only one failure point fell down.

Who would have thunk that. Certainly not the Harryproa crowd.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
It's unusual in many aspects (aerorig, asymmetrical power, it has one stateroom converted to shop, single dagger board etc...) But why people do think that 15 years old cat (even so unusual) worth as much as 5 years old Lagoon in mint condition?!

56' Aerocat Canada Catamaran Yacht For Sale - Rubicon Yachts
Ignoring the rig, absolutely worth more than a 5 yr old lagoon.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:53   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
What I was thinking,
I don't know anything about it, but there is a lot more to a boat than the rig, and a Lagoon may not be the Gold standard
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:06   #6

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think it's been for sale for a couple of years.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:27   #7

Boat: Trimarans!

Would love to see any kind of polars for this not. Looks very underpowered, hence the big motor I guess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dragonfly 35 Tri
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:27   #8

Boat: Aloha 34

Certainly looks over priced to me. I would be surprised if they got nibbles at $500,000.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:59   #9

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I spent an afternoon on a smaller but similar boat in BKH. The owner build the boat and from what I could tell did a bang up job. He explained a lot of the features he used to what I will describe as over engineering/over building. I have also spent time on several conventional FPs/Lagoons/Catanas and the like.

Some of them were in great shape and some in not so great shape. Conventional wisdom is to maintain a boat requires 10-15% of the price. But conventional wisdom also says if you buy cheap you may wind up spending a lot more to just keep the boat seaworthy.

I have no idea what this boat is worth, but from the pix it seems to be in good shape. Many of the production multihulls I have seen like a Telstar and Gemini seem to be build to a price point and not be what I would consider to be as seaworthy as this boat may well be.

One of my friends bought a well known production boat and wound up having to replace the fuel tanks and do some other work which increased the real cost to own the boat. If this boat has all the systems in good working order it may well be worth more than say a charter version Lagoon of more recent vintage. A lot more goes into the price of any boat than how old it is.

One thing I noticed is this boat has brand new (2016) Doyle sails. Wonder how much those cost as an example of pricing a boat.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:21   #10

There is one thing I'd like to point out. This cat has 4 engineered lifting points. That's great, but even more important, in my opinion, to have 4-6 engineered lifting points to lift it with jack(s). Then with one-two jacks and few pieces of plywood would be possible to lift boat off the ground while beaching, so very bottom can be painted. Another solution - air bags, discussed in other thread.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

Real market shows how much something worth. And the mentioned fact that this boat is for sale for years, tells that it's not worth anywhere close to 750K.
Lagoon is not gold standard. But 5 years old Lagoon is modern boat, with shiny interior, modern electronics, newer engines, flybridge etc.etc. Any part is easy to find.
It's like comparing newer Toyota Camry with old home built car. Home built car might have some odd features, but it's very unlikely that someone will buy it at Camry's price to use it as everyday transportation. There still might be strange person willing to do that, but that's because car only worth few thousands, not hundreds of thousands.

I like this cat's design and features, but in my opinion, it's real value somewhere between 200-300K, and even at that price, it will not sell quickly.
Old 12-05-2016, 14:04   #12

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
I like this cat's design and features, but in my opinion, it's real value somewhere between 200-300K, and even at that price, it will not sell quickly.
Are you serious? It's not a home-built. Look around yachtworld at comparable boats -
(Sail Boats For Sale) Catamaran&Ntk=boatsEN&searchtype=homepage&hmid=0&s m=3&enid=0&toLength=58&cit=true&luom=126&currencyi d=100&boatsAddedSelected=-1&ftid=0&fromPrice=0&fromLength=54&slim=quick&is=f alse&No=30
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 14:33   #13
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Are you serious? It's not a home-built. Look around yachtworld at comparable boats -
(Sail Boats For Sale) Catamaran&Ntk=boatsEN&searchtype=homepage&hmid=0&s m=3&enid=0&toLength=58&cit=true&luom=126&currencyi d=100&boatsAddedSelected=-1&ftid=0&fromPrice=0&fromLength=54&slim=quick&is=f alse&No=30
You never know. We looked at a beautiful 47' strip planked catamaran that started of above $500,000. When we looked at her they were down to asking $199,000 and were looking for any reasonable offer.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 14:34   #14

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Real market shows how much something worth. And the mentioned fact that this boat is for sale for years, tells that it's not worth anywhere close to 750K.
Lagoon is not gold standard. But 5 years old Lagoon is modern boat, with shiny interior, modern electronics, newer engines, flybridge etc.etc. Any part is easy to find.
It's like comparing newer Toyota Camry with old home built car. Home built car might have some odd features, but it's very unlikely that someone will buy it at Camry's price to use it as everyday transportation. There still might be strange person willing to do that, but that's because car only worth few thousands, not hundreds of thousands.

Yea, gotta get that flybridge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 14:40   #15

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
It's like comparing newer Toyota Camry with old home built car.
I would say its more like comparing a 15 year old porche to a 5 year old Hyundai van.

Tags
for sale, Hughes, sale