Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2023, 11:36   #31

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542
Re: An extra-heavy-displacement 11ft long Atlantic Proa for circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.artis.guru View Post
Due to my woman being quite prone to seasickness, I see seasickness as the highest of all the risks why our circumnavigation plans might fail.
Artis,
If your woman is prone to seasickness, she is going to get seasick. I just did a transatlantic passage on the Queen Mary II (149,215 tons. 1132 feet length, 135 ft Beam). People were getting seasick.

Your interesting design is in no way going to help her avoid seasickness. Sorry. You may (I doubt) reduce seasickness inducing movements but if she’s prone to seasickness she will get very sick (especially with no above deck space) and she will bail out.

Even if your design is a success and is stable and makes 10kts upwind, she’s going to be sick and you’re going to spend 4 years on a circumnavigation alone.

You would be wise to buy an inexpensive sailboat and cruise the Bahamas for a year, have some fun and see if she gets over her seasickness.
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 06:54   #32

Thank you so much for all the comments and insights you shared! I just posted a general reply, and a few more drawings on the other thread:
https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/u...-4#post-953401

I wonder should I be posting also here? As I usually receive a bit more constructive responses on that thread, I tend to gravitate towards responding there. Is there anyone on this forum who can’t read and respond there? If yes, I should also be posting here as well. Please let me know.

Artis,
www.artis.guru
artisguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 08:46   #33

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hi, I have not read the whole thread, but I think it would be interesting to read more about how you envision your circumnavigation and day to day life on the boat.

We live in a catamaran and one of the very best features is it's draft of one meter.

You can anchor close to shore, which makes getting to shore easier, as well as it usually provides better wind protection on a lee shore.

You have many more options for anchoring in adverse weather with a shallow draft boat.

Ports are more accessible too. You'll need to reprovision water, food and perhaps from time to time.

If you anchor far out due to the draft you have a lot less shelter from shore and you need a bigger dinghy with motor.

You can use a sailing dinghy, but where would you store it? Putting the rig up takes time too.

Or are you envisioning a nonstop circumnavigation?

Secondly it's great to have an enclosed bridgedeck providing comfortable shelter and 360degree vision in adverse conditions.

My crew suffers from seasickness from time to time but usually it disappears after a short time. You could test different medication to find out what works best for your crew.
Old 30-11-2023, 08:51   #34

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

You should be posting here.

You can’t just post where you get people agreeing with you or else you’ll likely end up with a poor design and plan.
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 11:09   #35

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The sea is so much more than just a place to gain recognition in the pages of world records. Get a nice sailboat and enjoy the journey and enjoy the sea rather than pose it as an adversary or challenge. You won't make it on the evening news but you'll enjoy life much more. 24 hours in this craft and you'll be trying to turn around, and it probably won't abide.
Sorry to be a downer.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 12:41   #36

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsuescum View Post
You should be posting here.

You can’t just post where you get people agreeing with you or else you’ll likely end up with a poor design and plan.
People aren't really agreeing with him over there either. A few are being polite about the 1000 reasons the boat won't work, and he is taking that as being constructive but not criticism.

The boat has about the same engineering as something I might have drawn when I was 6. I remember drawing a new space shuttle that I was very proud of, with all sorts of improvements NASA engineers could not possibly have thought of.

He won't listen, it isn't worth pointing it out to him. Maybe it'll make a great news story one day with a humorous fail.
Old 30-11-2023, 16:51   #37

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Artis, looking at your drawing on the other forum, it is clear you have put a lot of thought into this creation. But one thing jumped out at me, from your own assessment:

"My main consideration regarding sails and rig:
1) the whole rig has to be very strong, and able to withstand repeated capsizing and pitchpoling (think: it must be short),"

Repeated capsizing and pitchpoling is not something a human being can tolerate for long, especially if sealed in a box.

I'd suggest to take your interest in boat design and think more on a design that will be more successful. A real proa with a crabclaw sail might be something to look at.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:57   #38

Boat: Lagoon 400

Have you calculated the displacement and are sure it will float? (weight/volume calculation)
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:05   #39

Buy one of these and stick a mast on it.

https://www.rannochadventure.com/boats-2/r25
TomM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:50   #40

Boat: Corsair F-27f

Was this meant to be posted on April 1st?
Saskatchewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:07   #41

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Forget underwater windows, they will crud up in a week and you won't see anything thru them.
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
So, so many things don't make sense with this design.

- Where are the passages between spaces?

-? 2 stateroom? There are two people on this adventure and the 'Wide Stateroom' appears to have you rubbing your nose on the ceiling as you lay down.

-Underwater windows are a fanciful, yet completely unnecessary design element. From an Engineering perspective, its borderline ridiculous.

- At 2 kts, it would take upwards of 60-80 days to cross the Atlantic. Where are you storing enough provisions for that amount of time?

- how are you generating power? Your going to need lights and to be able to power nav and comms equipment.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:10   #42

That boat is pretty well thought out for your primary goal of lack of movement at sea. Unfortunately it will also lack forward movement. 12 tons is going to require a huge sail area to move with all the attendant weight of masts , sails ,rigging and heeling moment . Personally I think it will just lay over on its side and not move.
Have you considered this radical solution? Find a medication that prevents your femoid from getting sea sick ? $5 of Stugeron would likely free you from your design constraints and allow you to buy a conventional boat.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:16   #43

Quote:
"My main consideration regarding sails and rig:
1) the whole rig has to be very strong, and able to withstand repeated capsizing and pitchpoling (think: it must be short),"
I find it a bit funny that a "boat" that is designed to not move with the waves is expected to repeatedly pitchpole and capsize.

But I guess that makes as much sense as anything with the project.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:54   #44

Boat: HOBIE 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
Forget underwater windows, they will crud up in a week and you won't see anything thru them.
Bill
But the windows are the best part of Captain Nemo's Submarine Ride.

Have you never been to Disneyland?
Skipper Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 10:11   #45

Boat: Irwin, Citation, 34
Send a message via ICQ to sengland

Am sure you may have done these calculations but at 2kts, to do the 47000miles around, sailing for 14hrs a day, every day.... you will get back in 4yrs 8months. That assumes no breakages/refits, no breaks from the journey and that you havent gone crazzy :-)
I love the dream but just to break a record? Good luck.
sengland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Atlantic Proa, Ballasted multihull, circumnavigation, comfortable, cruising, displacement, Guinness world record, heavy displacement, navigation, seasickness, shortest boat, slow, small boat