Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2017, 20:04   #31

Re: allures c 47,9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Isn't that the point? With aluminum you NEED insulation, with composites you don't.
Possibly,possibly not.

How cold are we talking?

75mm of foam insulation trumps 19mm every day of the week if you choose to winter in Tasmania.

Best reason for a composite deck on an aluminium hull is you get the best of both worlds. A tough resilient hull with a great looking deck that doesn't corrode and blister the paint off every edge 5 minutes after launching .
Old 13-05-2017, 21:19   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Possibly,possibly not.

How cold are we talking?

75mm of foam insulation trumps 19mm every day of the week if you choose to winter in Tasmania.

Best reason for a composite deck on an aluminium hull is you get the best of both worlds. A tough resilient hull with a great looking deck that doesn't corrode and blister the paint off every edge 5 minutes after launching .
You wouldn't want aluminium decks without insulation in any climate.

From what I've seen, the real problem with aluminium hulls is finding a suitable antifoul that actually works.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 01:24   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Isn't that the point? With aluminum you NEED insulation, with composites you don't.
A more accurate assessment is that with an aluminium deck you have insulation, with a fibreglass deck you do not.

The reality is if you buy a cruising boat with an aluminium deck it will have thick insulation that will give the deck much better thermal and sound insulation. Less condensation, less mould. It is one of the advantages of an aluminium cruising yacht.

Typically this insulation is a couple of inches thick and is much more effective than the thin layer of balsa or foam in a fibreglass deck.

My advice if buying an aluminium yacht would be to increase the insulation to three inches. Three inches is overkill for most climates, but makes a difference if you travel to very cold or hot climates. This is usually an inexpensive option.

I don't think it possible to buy an aluminium cruising boat without this insulation. It is the normal method of constructing an aluminium deck. If you can find an aluminium cruising yacht without the insulation dont buy it.

It could be argued that you could fit an extra couple of inches of insulation to fibreglass, but I don't know any production boat that offers this as an option. It would require a redesign of the celling and interior, which is not practical.

Here is a photo of our new aluminium deck during construction with three inches of insulation. The insulation has not yet been added around the hatches enabling the depth of the foam to be seen. This is better than many boat fridges.

Aluminium vessels are popular for exploring polar regions, so very good thermal insulation is often important to potential buyers. Allures are claiming an advantage in this area when in reality their deck will have significantly worse insulation than most models from rival manufacturers with all aluminium deck. Once again I would stress that all (or at least nearly all) yacht manufacturers engage in this sort of hyperbole when writing their brochures. I don't consider Allures are doing anything other manufacturers don't do in their advertising material, but forums like this are a venue where we can set the record straight.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 04:10   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Sorry mate, I still dont get it. Your builder is ADDING insulation to aluminium plate to overcome the poor thermal properties of aluminium, (again I stress I would happily own an aluminium cat) Foam Glass already is in front of aluminium, and can stay in front ore be equal with ADDED insulation. Allures statement is factual. Just because everyone adds insulation to aluminium doesn't make aluminium a better insulator, it isn't.

Aluminium with foam added - different story, but it is ADDED.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 05:53   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. It is not just the cold but the heat as well.

But there is the extra benefit of sound insulation that comes with heat insulation. Insulated boats are much quieter inside - better sleep in fast and rough going. Bare grp hulls can be truly horrible in this respect.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote