Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Which one for learning catamaran sailing?
Hobie 16 10 66.67%
Monohull dinghy 5 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2022, 19:40   #61

Re: A Hobie 16 to teach myself the ropes???

I've decided to start my journey with a Sunfish.
Kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 22:09   #62

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Good choice I'd say. I learned on El Toro, then Laser, then Hobie 14. The Hobie 16 as a first boat could be very intimidating and nerve wracking at first, a little TOO responsive IMO especially if you are solo. And a NACRA as a first boat? wow... impressive! A Hobie 14 as a first boat, if you can find one, would be a better choice IMO, but starting on a dinghy then graduating to a cat makes more sense to me. BUT definitely get on a cat when you are ready! The level of fun, when you have one under control, is off the scale.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 13:09   #63

Well, this thread has served its goal. Hobie 16 is a good first step to learn catamaran sailing. It seems as if it will take to time for me to become a cruiser due to life and etc... Even though I will start with a Sunfish, something tells me I will own a Hobie 16 in the next few years. Thanks again, folks.
Old 04-04-2022, 17:31   #64
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:38   #65

Boat: Bristol 27

I actually started with a Dinghy Sailor also..........I learned basically how to make the boat move, Used it maybe 6 times.

It was pretty slow though especially on the lakes where I was at the time in Tennessee.

I traded my deer rifle for it since I was at the time living in the city. This was 1982.

The Hobie 16's followed a few years later....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy Sailor.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	255501  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:03   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I actually started with a Dinghy Sailor also..........I learned basically how to make the boat move, Used it maybe 6 times.

It was pretty slow though especially on the lakes where I was at the time in Tennessee.

I traded my deer rifle for it since I was at the time living in the city. This was 1982.

The Hobie 16's followed a few years later....
Until I become a catamaran cruiser or something, it will take 'a little' while. In the meantime, I think I'll own everything from Sunfish to Laser to Hobie 16 to whatever.

I know it's a big jump from Hobie 16 to 1160, but with the outboard option, after some classes in between... Well, we'll see.

Thanks again, folks.
Old 05-04-2022, 17:08   #67

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I'd just say again, there is a Hobie 14, which can be sailed solo.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:42   #68

Boat: Lagoon 400

Just for a background, I sail (raced) beachcats for around 30 years (Nacra's 6.0, Nacra F18, Prindle 18) as well a Laser for 7 years.
I own Lagoon 400 cruising cat.
Skippered a monohull across Atlantic.
Here are my 5 cents of advice:
Certainly learn the ropes on a dinhgy.
You will learn sails deployment, precise helming, wind awareness and mostly feeling for the sea.
However, do not do it on Hobie 16 or any other beach cat.
Beach cat is to a cruising cat as dirt bike to a towed catamaran.
Learn on a small monohull dinghy, like Laser ir 420 (with a friend to instruct you in the basics).
Then take a proper yachting course (like ASA).
This will be excellent preparation for 1160 or 1190 cruising cat.
And, if you want adrenaline sailing, proceed from the monohull dinghy to the Hobie 16 or 18. Do not start on the multihull dinghy. There are steps to the process.
It is my experience e from serving many years as the person responsible for dinghy training in a sailing club.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:28   #69

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite View Post
I've decided to start my journey with a Sunfish.
I think this is a much better choice. I think that I learned more from the linearity of response that is provided by the heeling of a monohull. As the wind builds, the gradual heeling decreases the lateral force on the sail and you have plenty of warning that you are headed for a knock down. Gives you lots of opportunities to make corrections and see the response of the boat. On a Hobie, the lifting of the upwind hull can be harder to calibrate and then, all of a sudden, wham, over you go.
If you can manage it, a sloop rig might be a better platform - you could also learn how to balance your jib and main. A Snipe or similar would be awesome, is not expensive, and is easy to trailer with even a smaller car.
Learn on your monohull and as some have suggested, rent a Hobie now and then on the beach for a comparison. Best of both worlds.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:32   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite View Post
Planning to buy a Hobie 16 to learn the ropes. I'm in no rush. I have no sailing experience, but some theorical knowledge. My eventual goal is to eventually be able to sail something like 1160lite to the Bahamas and such. Is that a good plan? Am I missing something? A big mistake? Or whatever the community would like to say about it. I'm all ears. Thanks.
Hobies are great initial learning boats (they're great for other sailing too. I'm just concentrating on initial learning for a moment). They're agile, fast, and give instant feedback to you regarding what you're doing. I, personally, believe that every sailor can benefit from a background in dinghies, and should go back periodically to refresh that experience.
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:29   #71

Good choice. I learned on sunfish lasers Coronados 15s 19 foot lightnings 16 foot and 18 Hobiecats When I was in my late 20’s was really into Hobiecats. Even sailed whenever possible during the winter around the Chesapeake bay bridge 1st island and near Lynn haven inlet Virginia Beach.
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:39   #72

Boat: Fontaine Pajot 2011 Mahe Evolution 36 ft

Hobie Cat 16 are great boats. Fast and fun. I had one for many years. One word of warning. As a learner you will undoubtedly dump the boat and you will have to right it.

Absolutely essential to make sure that the mast floats. There is a foam plug glued in each end of the mast. Some of the older foams would shrink allowing the mast to fill with water. Dump the mast in the water to see if it floats. If it won't you have to replace the foam plugs. Make sure all the pop rivet holes are plugged up with silicone.

When you dump the boat, it should float on it's side with the mast laying in the water. Release the sheet line so the sail is hanging straight down in the water and not acting as a water filled weight. Get your righting line (you must have a righting line on the boat), stand on the hull floating in the water and pull on the other hull. Make sure the mast is pointing into the wind so the wind catches the underside of the sail as you tip the boat upright. The sheet line MUST be slack or the wind will just blow the boat over in the other direction.

Also make sure that the foam plugs in each of the four posts supporting the trampoline frame are good.

If the mast fills up with water, the boat will turn turtle (upside down) and the only way to right it will be to dismast the boat.

Finally, a cat with worn sails won't point into the wind very well.
White Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:48   #73

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
I did exactly that when I was 40. Knowing what I know now, I think I'd choose a dinghy instead. Sorta like learning to drive with a Ferrari. Some days you spend more time righting the thing than sailing it. But once you get it mastered, or at least come to a working agreement with it, it's a blast. I sold it a couple of years after I got my keel boat because I didn't have time for two boats. But sometimes I wish I still had the H16.

Edit: Some people might think that pitchpoling is "fun," but some people come out of it black and blue from head to toe.

I sailed a Hobie 16 off the beach in Hawaii for 4 years when I was about 40. What a blast! We had a double trapeze and righting/safety lines. We fished for tuna offshore on relatively calmer days, surfed and jumped waves, and cruised about 10 miles up and down the coast. We had to learn to launch into a shorebreak with a direct onshore wind. I learned to never lock in the main sheet when flying a hull because of the pitchpole issues. I always wished I had gotten a Prindle 16 as they can still be dragged up the beach solo and didn't really pitchpole much. We were lucky enough to sail year round with no wetsuit and kept it on the beach with a 5 minute walk from home. Good luck and have fun.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:32   #74
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

A Prindle 16 was my first boat (very much like the Hobie, just a tiny fraction faster and lighter). No problems.

I didn't go out in the blow the first day. I slowly worked my way up, and I don't think I capsized for several years. Later, I become more bold (dumb?).

Common sense. A beach cat will teach you lessons about cat sailing that no mono every will. I've sailed a lot of monohulls, including cruising cats, but now I move back to a Corsair F-24 trimaran (because I like responsive boats) and on a breezing day, those beach cat roots come back to you! I really would not want a non-beach cat sailor at the helm when really hard pressed. The best way to understand how it feels just before things go pear shaped is to have been there. In a larger cat it obviously takes a lot more, but I know from sailing my cruising cat that the feeling is similar.

I hear people say "cats don't have any feel." They certainly do. It's just different. When sailing cruising monos I have to de-tune my senses (planing dinghies... not so much, but still, a very different rythym).
Old 08-04-2022, 12:13   #75

Boat: Tartan 40

A Sunfish is a great starter boat for warm weather. It’s wet! I’ve sailed lots of sailboats from 8’-72’. None can beat a beach cat, like a Hobie Cat, for fun and thrill! Remember that sailing is a journey, not a destination. And, the best boat is the boat you’re on! Enjoy!
(I wish I could think of one more cliché piece of good advice). 😎
djhsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1160, 1190, catamaran, Hobie 16, learning, newbie, The Bahamas