Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Which one for learning catamaran sailing?
Hobie 16 10 66.67%
Monohull dinghy 5 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2022, 13:52   #76

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: A Hobie 16 to teach myself the ropes???

May want to consider a Bob for the mast head if you're not going with someone familiar with sailing a cat and righting it. If it turtles your in for a long hard swim with a deep keel (mast) boat.
Seaward22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 14:08   #77

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
I think this is a much better choice. I think that I learned more from the linearity of response that is provided by the heeling of a monohull. As the wind builds, the gradual heeling decreases the lateral force on the sail and you have plenty of warning that you are headed for a knock down. Gives you lots of opportunities to make corrections and see the response of the boat. On a Hobie, the lifting of the upwind hull can be harder to calibrate and then, all of a sudden, wham, over you go.
If you can manage it, a sloop rig might be a better platform - you could also learn how to balance your jib and main. A Snipe or similar would be awesome, is not expensive, and is easy to trailer with even a smaller car.
Learn on your monohull and as some have suggested, rent a Hobie now and then on the beach for a comparison. Best of both worlds.
That's true for your average beginner that would rent a Hobie 16 for a couple hours, but for the rest of us back in the day "flying" a hull was the only way to go especially for a racer or anyone with experience.

It's pretty much like riding your bike and later on the boat you learn to watch for the gusts and turn into them especially if you are racing because if the hull goes too high that is slow

Adding a spinnaker complicated things a bit more but increased the speed and made it more fun

Half the flips/ pitchpoles in the first video were for fun.

Second video is of racers who have to keep one hull up or lose before the race even starts

A Sunfish is child's play compared to a Hobie 16 but you can learn on one.....

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 18:44   #78

With zero experience I would start with a small monohull to learn the basics. More forgiving for single hand learning and easier to self right. I had s everal decades of sailing before getting a Hobie 16 and capsizing is going to happen and I doubt righting it single handed is going to be fun and easy for a rank beginner. If memory is right it takes something like 160-180lbs to get one back on its feet. I weighed 150 and it was a chore, even with shroud extenders (lets the mask. I carried an empty 5 gal water to fill with water to get it righted. Without a float on the masthead it will slowly sink
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:23   #79

I followed a path like you're suggesting and can say it is totally doable.

Bought a Hobie 16 w/no idea how to sail. Read articles, watched YouTube, asked more experienced sailors, etc., to learn as much as possible.

Also learned much from trial and error (e.g., don't forget to remove the piece that helps you step the mast because you can't turn, or don't go out on the hottest day of the year w/no water or paddles; had to paddle in by hand when the wind died, etc., etc.).

Moved up to a Catalina Capri 16 and then a Catalina 22 Sport. Learned a little w/each boat and each time out. Also chartered a 32 ft. bareboat. Am typing this from my latest: a Tartan 37C.

Biggest difference I've seen between catamarans and monohulls is when tacking upwind: monohulls tend to spin around the keel and tack much easier, while catamarans don't spin but are more like a train on its tracks. Helps to concentrate all crew weight to the rear corner while tacking; helps the catamaran to spin more like a monohull.

Good luck!
rdchamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 04:59   #80

lol, can you swim. Can you swim well when tired. Can you? I saw your post on Sunfish, same thing only worse. Do you weigh less than 150 lbs because if not crawling back up on those boats is a bit tough. I have owned more than one of each. Neither are really good learner boats compared to others out there. Try something like an old oday mariner.....something that will give you the experience you want. Heck even a Potter 15 or a Compac 16 would serve you better and you could camp with it easily.......but keep asking because many folks on here will tell you right!
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1160, 1190, catamaran, Hobie 16, learning, newbie, The Bahamas