Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2019, 13:19   #61

Re: Would You Buy a Hans Christian 33?

People tend to like the boats they have.

Weird, huh?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 21:07   #62

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

My wife and I lived and cruised on a Hans Christian 34 for five years about twenty years ago. Still both of our best time together. Granted, we had glass decks and your hated vee berth, but we loved it as our home. Then we ended up with grandchildren, so now we have a Hardin Voyager 45, but still miss the Hans. If you are emotional about boats, you can't go wrong.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 19:37   #63

Boat: Sundeer 60

"I'm lazy and don't want a maintenance nightmare"
A HC should not be in your future.
We owned, lived and sailed a HC, it was our life so we were happy to maintain it, but maintain it we did!
moidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 04:09   #64

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Regarding windvane on our HC, yes, a Monitor that works great for us. You have to know how to trim your sails to use a monitor effectively. We have used the monitor in the Chesapeake, up to Maine, quite magical on a long ocean run, say to the Azores.
hcfirstlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 04:16   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, moidus, and hcfirstlight.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 11:06   #66

I have a HC-33 and totally agree with Mathias. There is nothing I can add to his essay on the "best little sailboat" ever made.
CaptMDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 04:22   #67

The barn door that they use for a rudder on the 33 :
+Easy to track in reverse (minimal prop walk)
+Easy in tight quarters (u-turn in a fairway)
+Easy to dock - most of the time.

The decks don't leak - a hatch, maybe. Those who think that teak ~must~ be varnished are delusional. Let the teak go silver, as it was meant to be. If you want to make a little work for yourself, finish a hatch or the turtle.

Also, I second Mathias (Dolphins) review.
becrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 13:21   #68

There are many Naysayers to your question, but i like the comment that it is like choosing a wife. I remember seeing my first Hans Christian 38T down in Cabo, i was cruising in what i could afford at the time a go fast sled, the boat was fast but poorly built and flexed a lot. almost 30 years later and i still enjoy the speed of a faster boat, but when a Hans Christian 43T in need of a bow sprit became available on my dock i jumped in feet first. I bought the boat about 2 months ago. I have since had a bow sprit built (6500.00 not including removal or installation) and have stripped the wood in preparation for re-varnishing. I actually find it enjoyable working on the wood. I have yet to sail her, and may decide she is just too damn slow, but i will tell you this the build quality and joinery are solid. I definitely could do without the teak decks, and may remove them. but she is so beautiful and feels much different than the 49 Sun Odyssey i sail on a daily basis. I say go for it.
CaptSQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 02:16   #69

Hi!
HC33 is my choice - only problem is to find one for sale here in Europe...

I wonder what are the major differences based on where and when they were built?
I have read somewhere there are some quality issues / differences... true or not?
Thanks
IslandOfHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 03:30   #70
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if it had teak decks .. NO. if you could take 12" off the draft then YES .. I would buy one in a heartbeat
Old 27-11-2019, 05:10   #71

I've been following the year-long "refit" of an HC33 that has gained wide attention on Youtube and Facebook. The boat was built in 1983 I believe, and has been actively cared for and sailed by a diligent and knowledgable couple. But you really can't call this a refit. Indeed, it's a stem-to-stern rebuild. Teak decks removed, new engine, relocated chainplates, re-bedded port lights, bow and stern pulpits removed and re-bedded and I believe new bow sprit and Sampson post. They did the work themselves as they are young and energetic. Otherwise this would have cost $100,000+. Much more than I could handle.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 09:02   #72

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I am the happy and proud owner of HC33 #145. I love this boat and plan to keep her until I'm too old to sail anymore. She's perfect for me, and I couldn't care less about what anyone else thinks about it. https://i.imgur.com/gIgTfuG.jpg https://imgur.com/ozKkzvW https://i.imgur.com/DBE03Dn.jpg
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 05:38   #73

Boat: Dana 24

With a mixture of complex feelings, it is time for me to pass on my HC33, "Phoenix", to a new steward.

I will be listing her soon with a broker. I mention it here first, because of you, IslandofHope, in case you are interested. During her major refit and restoration in 2012, I wired her for both American 110volt and European 220volts, with a galvanic isolating transformer.

Phoenix was my Odyssean ship as I sailed all over the eastern waters of the Mediterranean. Blog at le grand voyage - a sailing blog

She lies Lake Champlain now, my home waters. You could sail her across yourself in the adventure of a lifetime, or what you could consider is shipping her across the pond. I have sailed across the Atlantic in my previous HC33, and Phoenix has crossed the pond twice by freighter. Back in 2012, it cost $23,000. I would be willing to deliver her to wherever the freighter on the East Coast departs from.

I would be willing to take the cost of the freighter ride into consideration (as well as the VAT you pay) in the price.

For more information, please contact me at mr.dubilier at g mail

I love Phoenix. I put so much work into her restoration, including rewiring, adding equipment, maintaining and updating the engine, and just all the love and care you do when your little ship is your life.

These days I don't get to enjoy Phoenix as much any more since I work as a captain on a passenger friendship sloop on Lake Champlain during the summers, and in winters I work as a writer. (Pretty sweet life.) My partner and I are considering a Cape Dory 22 now for occasional outings on my homewaters.

-Mathias
Dolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 04:25   #74

Our understanding from the Owners Association is that all 33s were built in the same yard, Hansa, as were the 48s. Most if not all were of better quality design and build than the rest of the fleet, but there will be disagreement about that for certain. We are unaware of any 33s for example, built with coring in the decks. Ours has none. All Asian built boats suffered from poorer quality stainless steel is our understanding.
hcfirstlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 04:37   #75
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Would You Buy a Hans Christian 33?

No..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'Useful Idiots' of the West still pay for war in the hope it triggers the 'Rapture'.. LMAO.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote