Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2019, 12:26   #31

Re: Would You Buy a Hans Christian 33?

I could easily let the exterior wood go grey. Mostly concerned about leaking decks and rot. I read somewhere that at least some of the HC33 decks were fastened from underneath, with the screws pointed up. That would not eliminate the need for recaulking, but it might help keeping the core dry.

I do like the Cape George boats, but I think I would want a 36, which are rather expensive.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 12:49   #32

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
I want an HC33. Love the looks, long waterline, short overhangs, heavy displacement and Pullman birth.
Is that similar to a Caesarean birth?
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 13:27   #33

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
I know the OP only asked "Would you buy a Hans Christian 33?" thus a yes or no answer but for the posters who posted simply "no" it would be nice to know why.
For my part, simple. I adhere to Captain Douglas definition of what is important in a boat. A boat has to be beautiful and sail like a witch The HC in my eyes does not fulfil these requirements.

But, of course, these are capable offshore cruisers. And beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 13:50   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Do you actually think you're funny?
Old 15-06-2019, 14:38   #35

Quote:
OK, make that "berth."
Old 15-06-2019, 14:49   #36

I really like them boats, the 48T is a beast.
Psy at SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 14:57   #37

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Aurthurwg,

OK, I will chime in here...

Yes, I would buy an HC33 if that is what I wanted. I would also by a Hunter if that is what I wanted. Both sailboats, but apples to oranges after that fact.

Me, I grew up in a family that restored classic wooden sailing vessels. First as a hobby/love. Then as a very profitable second family business.

My personal sailboats over the last 30 years were, until this current boat, all wood. Two examples... 1925 (72' LOD), 1937 (56' LOD), Both of these cost me gobs more money than that guy with the brand new Hunter 40 berthed right next to me sipping on his sun setter and watching the idiot next door varnishing. (me)

I did not buy/restore these because a wooden boat was cheaper. I bought them because that is what my heart wanted. Was it a lot more work and maintenance than that new Hunter? Heck yes it was.

So, with that said... buy what your heart wants. After all... once you get off this thing we call the internet and actually get out here in the wide blue world of cruising, if that is your goal, I guarantee you, no one that dinghies over to say "hello" when you pull into a new anchorage will ask you... "why the heck did you by that HC?"

It's your money, so buy what you want.

Old 15-06-2019, 18:36   #38

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Not at all. A Pullman birth uses forceps.

Personally, if there are more than one person sleeping in it, I much prefer a v-berth over a pullman.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 20:04   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Built, lived aboard and cruised a Westsail 32. They are great boats for cruising where the wind blows and living aboard. They will sail in light air but won't win any races. Though they have won the single handed TransPac on handicap time usually finishing mid fleet beating supposedly faster boats like a Valiant 40. When the wind is up they will walk away from most other boats with their waterline length on a reach. Not a surfer but will comfortably do 150 mile days wing and wing. We averaged 118nm per day through the water with virtually no engine time for more than 10,000 miles with a best days run of 178nm. Also had a 12 mile day in the doldrums but even in very light air usually bettered 50 nmpd. Those figures were from the Walker Log not with some current assistance.

Their displacement makes them incredibly comfortable on a passage. Storage capacity is huge. We went almost a year without major reprovisoning. 80 gallons of water and 70 gallons of fuel will last you a long time. Because of their displacement, they are not 'fun' boats to sail. though. More like driving a pick up than a Porsche. We only had the MD2 Volvo (25hp) which worked fine for us engine hating sailors but would drive the boat to 6k in flat water when needed. One point of sail that they were hopeless on is in light air and a chop hard on he wind. The bluff bow needed a wind to push through the waves. We occasionally motor sailed in those conditions and would point us up to 40 degrees off relative wind, maintain 5k, sipping fuel running at 1500rpm or so.

They are getting a bit long in the tooth if they haven't been upgraded. A 35hp diesel would be nice. The boomkin and bowsprit can develop rot. Would replace the stainless tangs for the boomkin and bow sprit tangs and check the chain plates.

Would expect the HC33 to sail a little better to windward with the cutaway forefoot. We had a Pullman Berth forward and it worked fine for us for 4 years. Of course we were younger and more supple then so maneuvering around the other person was easier. My wife took the outboard position so it was a little easier for her to crawl over me than the other way around. I'd turn the aft berth into storage. Ventilation was great at the bow but imagine that large quarter berth could get a bit stuffy. Yes there is more wood on the HC but as long as there is no rot in the deck core you could just wash the wood down with salt water and a SOFT brush and let it grey out.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 20:26   #40
KTP

Maybe you would like the looks of a Pacific Seacraft 34? No teak deck but they do have a canoe stern. They don't have a big bowsprit though...
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 22:21   #41

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP View Post
Maybe you would like the looks of a Pacific Seacraft 34? No teak deck but they do have a canoe stern. They don't have a big bowsprit though...
The Pacific Seacraft 34 and the 37 are both great cruising sailboats. Maybe not easy to find one within the OP's budget, but not impossible I suppose, at least in the case of the 34.

http://www.pacificseacraft.com/
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 10:41   #42

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That took longer than I thought it would.

My thought the second I saw the thread title.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 10:51   #43

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
I could easily let the exterior wood go grey. Mostly concerned about leaking decks and rot. I read somewhere that at least some of the HC33 decks were fastened from underneath, with the screws pointed up. That would not eliminate the need for recaulking, but it might help keeping the core dry.

I do like the Cape George boats, but I think I would want a 36, which are rather expensive.
And when they wear down a little it would be superb non skid.
Old 21-06-2019, 07:43   #44

Boat: Hans Christian 38 Traditional

I suppose the first question I should ask is what do you plan on doing with it? I live in the Pacific Northwest, I own a Hans Christian 38t. I love the boat. I've commercial fished part of my life and been on boats all of my life with over 40 years of experience. Personally I want something heavy and stout built that I don't have to worry about if the boats going to make it through the storm. Mine is a 1979 and it is built like a tank. Craftsmanship is superb, in my opinion the teak isn't that big of a deal. Mine never had teak decks so I don't have that issue. I've refinished my entire boat outside teak with cetol and all you do is Scotch-Brite it and add another coat each year, so far it's holding up awesome. If you want a boat that you're going to play in light air and protected Waters and such probably not the boat for you. But if you want one that's going to cross oceans get you through a storm safely and comfortably I don't think they can be beat. check out the Hans Christian's owner's website on Facebook, lots of good information
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180918_112247.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	194363  
Kudos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 08:26   #45

Boat: Dana 24

Hi Arthur and all,

I am the owner of my second Hans Christian 33. I am in love with the boats. I believe they are the most intelligently designed boats for living aboard, and I trust my life with them in any weather condition in any sea.

I have spent all my life sailing on most waters in the western/northern hemisphere. I am a licensed 100-ton captain, and my summer job is to drive traditional gaff-rigged sailboats for passengers. I have crewed aboard or sailed everything from Maine's windjammers to Beneteaus and Island Packets and Gib'Sea and Bristol Channel Cutter, just to name a few. (All that just to offer some credentials for my opinion on my beloved HC33's.)

I bought an HC33 named Dolphins and quickly experienced the brilliance of the naval architect who designed her. I could sail her with full sails (full main, 90-jib and staysail) in 25-30 knots of wind on Lake Champlain, on a close haul, and her center of gravity is so well balanced with her center of effort that she will sail herself without my hand on the wheel.

In 2011, I set out on a voyage across the Atlantic. We got into several low-pressure systems, and besides being comfortable due to her weight and balance, I felt absolutely bullet-proof safe in her. From the Azores to Portugal, for eight days we were in 25 to 35 knots of wind, and while any boat in such conditions is not a Sunday picnic, we were cooking full pots of goulash on her gimballed stove.

As for the pullman berth, I LOVE it, especially in those conditions. Why are we still designing boats with the main sleeping quarters in the bounciest part of the boat? The pullman berth, being close to the center of gravity, provides a quieter sleep. Plus, no playing footsies with your partner unless you want to. Also: why would you want to crawl across your fresh, pristine berth to access your muddy anchor chain locker?

Alas, she burned shortly after arriving in the Med. (An alternator or starter wire worked its nut lose, and the continuous sparking dripped melting wire onto her fiberglass oil catch pan, and the fire ran away from there.)

Afterwards, I looked at hundreds of boats online. I visited dozens. None of them offered what the HC33 offers. Not even the other Hans Christians did. In fact, I read several reviews by owners of 33's who (suffering from three-foot-itis) moved up to 38's and they reported that they could not fit everything from their 33 onto their 38. The super smart interior design allows for more storage than any other boat of her size (and even those larger.)

For a liveaboard, there simply is no better or safer boat.

No other 33-foot boat has (she is 33 on deck) all these amenities packed into one:
- Shower separate from head. (No getting your toilet paper and everything else wet while you shower)
- Pullman berth with queen-size mattress
- Quaterberth with double mattress
- Semi-U-shaped galley
- Fixed sea-water and fresh water faucets
- Standing salon table. (Due to the old fashioned idea of running the aisle down the middle, most tables have to be folded and unfolded.)
- A salon in which I have entertained 8 comfortably. (12 on a squeeze)
- A top AND side access icebox.
- A motor that is at sole level and accessible from all sides.
- Built in, ELEGANT, (teak and copper mesh) bug screens for both hatches and companionway.
- Hidden handrails lining the cabin for rough weather. (They line the sides to look like trim.)
- A nav desk. (Perhaps the only item which I sometimes wish were bigger, but I've gotten used to doing all my work on the salon table.)

- As for up on deck:
- The high bulwarks provide for unparalleled safety while at sea.
- I appreciate that the teak on deck is cosmetic only. I don't have to keep up with the failing caulking if I don't want to. No owner I know of has ever reported the from-the-bottom-up fastening of the teak to leak.
- Oversized standing rigging to handle any condition.
- And I disagree on prior comment on battery access. I always joke that I can hide 3 or 4 refugees in my cockpit lazerette. I love my roomy lazerette.
- A foredeck large enough to stow my 10-foot Avon for passages.
- A anchor chain locker that will handle enough chain to encase the Statue of Liberty.
- Also: TWO water tanks for a total of 80 gal. and a cruising fuel tank size of 80 gal. AND: I love that they are buried in the keel, adding all that weight to below the waterline giving additional stability to the ship.

I could go on. And gladly will if anyone wants to send me an email at mr.dubilieratgmaildotcom.

In the end, I bought another Hans Christian 33. Her name is Phoenix (for obvious reasons.) I love her.

On both Dolphins and Phoenix, the teak is untreated and grey. And she still turns heads wherever we are. I have varnished details, like the boomgallows and hatches, and a few other details.

-Mathias
Dolphins is offline   Reply With Quote