Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 17:30   #61

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: What's your take on this Vega?

Gee, I thought it looked really good... but maybe your tastes are more like Steady's? Red velvet in the v-berth??
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 18:10   #62

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

I gotta agree with Don on this one. Don't take our word for it though, the White House already settled this issue a few months back

Old 09-05-2017, 19:31   #63
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Gee, I thought it looked really good... but maybe your tastes are more like Steady's? Red velvet in the v-berth??

I think American Vagrant's boat looks nicely equipped. I read the full equipment list carefully, and it appears some good thought was put into outfitting it. I also like the hard dodger, and the stars on the bulkhead in the saloon are a nice decorative element.

For that model of boat, I give it:
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 20:04   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

I think American Vagrant's boat looks nicely equipped. I read the full equipment list carefully, and it appears some good thought was put into outfitting it. I also like the hard dodger, and the stars on the bulkhead in the saloon are a nice decorative element.

For that model of boat, I give it:
What Steady??? no mention of v-berth decor??
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 07-07-2017, 10:39   #65

Someone mentioned that Vegas had 3 generations. Any significant differences between them? If possible, shall I look for the latest ones, or a '70-75 model should do just as good? Thinking about hull/deck material, design, etc.

So far this one seems to be the sturdiest trailerable boat I found, and I really like to hear its ocean-crossing history... Someone is using the boat with outboard engine (expired ad). Any worrying thoughts about that one, for longer passages (Med to Canaries, Transat)? It certainly liberates valuble space inside and probably help in close quarters...

BTW, candidates (I am in Europe):
This one comes with a Jeep (Actually I do need a new car, but more thinking on other SUV-s)
This one is a bit overpriced but seems really well kept.
And this one appears to be the cheapest in Europe.
Old 07-07-2017, 22:13   #66

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Someone mentioned that Vegas had 3 generations. Any significant differences between them? If possible, shall I look for the latest ones, or a '70-75 model should do just as good? Thinking about hull/deck material, design, etc.

So far this one seems to be the sturdiest trailerable boat I found, and I really like to hear its ocean-crossing history... Someone is using the boat with outboard engine (expired ad). Any worrying thoughts about that one, for longer passages (Med to Canaries, Transat)? It certainly liberates valuble space inside and probably help in close quarters...

This one comes with a Jeep (Actually I do need a new car, but more thinking on other SUV-s)
In my opinion, the series in itself is less important than finding one in good condition/outfitted well:

Mark I 1967 - 1971

Fitted with the Albin 021/022 petrol Engine.

Engine Exhaust in the centre of the transom near the waterline.

Have a cylindrical tank in the starboard locker.

Overhanging lip by themainsheet track. Lower engine bearers to accept the smaller Albin 021/022 Petrol Engine. Stern tube at 8 degree downwards angle. Slight cosmetic differences inside.

Narrow cockpit coaming. Glass porthole on bridgedeck for internal compass above the engine. Back cushions in two parts covering the concealed lockers.

Mark II 1971 - 1976

Fitted with Volvo MD6A (Dynastart) or MD6B (Starter motor).

Have a plastic keel tank.

Some of the earlier Vegas of this series used the last of the Series I top moulds so look cosmetically like a Series I (V1499 is a prime example).

Higher engine bearers to accept the Volvo engine. A few have odd height bearers thus giving a 5 degree lean to one side.
Stern tube at 12 degrees incline. Back cushions in two parts covering the concealed lockers. Engine Exhaust on the starboard part of the transom near the waterline.

Mark III 1977 - 1978

Fitted with Volvo MD7A. Starter motor (no Dynastart).

Very late Series II and Series III had a stainless tank in the port locker.

Wide cockpit coamings so you dont get a sore bum whilst heeling on long tacks. Many cosmetic changes inside.
The anti-slip areas are of a much coarser appearance. Back cushions run the length of the main saloon bunks. Engine Exhaust on the starboard part of the transom near the waterline.

Source: Vega Database - Vega Mark I - II & III
Old 08-07-2017, 09:10   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post

I think there is a thread here somewhere about cruising with an outboard.
Found a couple:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-160639.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-176659.html

I have an outboard. There are things I like and things I do not like. The biggest negatives are the poor fuel economy compared to diesel, and of course having to haul around gas which is NOT as benign as diesel. That much weight aft is also something to consider, if you can get a 2 stroke, which is lighter, that is better, though 4 stroke fuel economy is a little better. But you are right, it does open up valuable space inside, but then that space will be used up aft for the fuel tank. It definitely helps with maneuvering in tight spots too. It is quieter and less smelly in the cabin, and one less through-hull.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 08-07-2017, 12:04   #68

Thank for both of you!

@AmericanVagrant: indeed, condition is a deal maker/killer here, one can read horrific stories about keel corrosion, etc (fortunately haven't heard about heavy blistering/osmosis issues, probably their material choice was good)

@Don: you're right with the weight distribution and fuel economy: internal engine stays. A heavy diesel deep in the bilge helps the keel while something up in the aft works against the balance.
Old 13-07-2017, 17:12   #69

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVagrant View Post
In my opinion, the series in itself is less important than finding one in good condition/outfitted well:

Mark I 1967 - 1971

Fitted with the Albin 021/022 petrol Engine.

Engine Exhaust in the centre of the transom near the waterline.

Have a cylindrical tank in the starboard locker.

Overhanging lip by themainsheet track. Lower engine bearers to accept the smaller Albin 021/022 Petrol Engine. Stern tube at 8 degree downwards angle. Slight cosmetic differences inside.

Narrow cockpit coaming. Glass porthole on bridgedeck for internal compass above the engine. Back cushions in two parts covering the concealed lockers.

Mark II 1971 - 1976

Fitted with Volvo MD6A (Dynastart) or MD6B (Starter motor).

Have a plastic keel tank.

Some of the earlier Vegas of this series used the last of the Series I top moulds so look cosmetically like a Series I (V1499 is a prime example).

Higher engine bearers to accept the Volvo engine. A few have odd height bearers thus giving a 5 degree lean to one side.
Stern tube at 12 degrees incline. Back cushions in two parts covering the concealed lockers. Engine Exhaust on the starboard part of the transom near the waterline.

Mark III 1977 - 1978

Fitted with Volvo MD7A. Starter motor (no Dynastart).

Very late Series II and Series III had a stainless tank in the port locker.

Wide cockpit coamings so you dont get a sore bum whilst heeling on long tacks. Many cosmetic changes inside.
The anti-slip areas are of a much coarser appearance. Back cushions run the length of the main saloon bunks. Engine Exhaust on the starboard part of the transom near the waterline.

Source: Vega Database - Vega Mark I - II & III
Hey, thanks for this, I had been wondering the same thing, myself. All I knew is there was a difference in cockpit coaming width.

Looks like I have a gen II And if work keeps being a waste of timne I'll be sitting on it sooner rather than later, haha.

Did you manage to sell yours now? Hope so, owning two boats must get pricey fast.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 17:18   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I think there is a thread here somewhere about cruising with an outboard.
Found a couple:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-160639.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-176659.html

I have an outboard. There are things I like and things I do not like. The biggest negatives are the poor fuel economy compared to diesel, and of course having to haul around gas which is NOT as benign as diesel. That much weight aft is also something to consider, if you can get a 2 stroke, which is lighter, that is better, though 4 stroke fuel economy is a little better. But you are right, it does open up valuable space inside, but then that space will be used up aft for the fuel tank. It definitely helps with maneuvering in tight spots too. It is quieter and less smelly in the cabin, and one less through-hull.
That boat in Germany that comes with the Jeep looks nice, didn't see any photos of the stern, though.

Kintara was my second choice, I love the hull colour but it looks as though the current owner is more of a liveaboard than a sailor so I'm guessing there's considerable deferred maintenance, could be wrong. I contacted the broker and he said the photos were over a year old so a lot can happen in that time. The previous owners did a good job of keeping the baot in good, shape though. trying to get specific answers on critical things was impossible, though. Standing rigging is probably ancient. I'd still buy it if I didn't have "Pollyanna" (might have to change that name though, haha)
Old 13-07-2017, 17:23   #71

Oh yeah so to anyone who's interested, the Vega I ended up getting has aluminium framed windows with a nice fat flange as well as plastic seacocks and a beefed up mast support arch (40 mm on either side of the bulkhead) so I'm glad I waited. Looks like all I will need to do is fit AIS, a windvane self-steering gear and possibly replace the standing rigging. Oh and the spinnaker pole looks pretty crusty so I will probably need to scrub that up/rebuild it. Not bad for something about to embark on such a long trip

Oh right and some solar panels and probably new batteries and chargers.
Old 14-07-2017, 10:45   #72

Congrats for your new boat! I think I'll miss this season and buy next year. The good thing is that the Vega is a common model and I have no doubt that I'll have offers I can choose from.
Old 15-07-2017, 01:46   #73
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Oh yeah so to anyone who's interested, the Vega I ended up getting has aluminium framed windows with a nice fat flange as well as plastic seacocks and a beefed up mast support arch (40 mm on either side of the bulkhead) so I'm glad I waited. Looks like all I will need to do is fit AIS, a windvane self-steering gear and possibly replace the standing rigging. Oh and the spinnaker pole looks pretty crusty so I will probably need to scrub that up/rebuild it. Not bad for something about to embark on such a long trip

Oh right and some solar panels and probably new batteries and chargers.
Are you going long distance offshore solo without a radar with guard zone & alarm?

From a lot of offshore solo sailing that's not a good idea, if you want to sleep it's better to push the odds in your favour any way you can....
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 13:52   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Are you going long distance offshore solo without a radar with guard zone & alarm?

From a lot of offshore solo sailing that's not a good idea, if you want to sleep it's better to push the odds in your favour any way you can....
I'll fit AIS initially and do some cruising with it like that for a bit, see if I want to get radar as well.

Do you do offshore solo sailing?
Old 17-07-2017, 14:33   #75
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
I'll fit AIS initially and do some cruising with it like that for a bit, see if I want to get radar as well.

Do you do offshore solo sailing?
I've been liveaboard solo for must be about twelve years now, now down in Portugal wondering where to go next but been down Senegal and across to Brazil, back up to Europe via carib. I've done offshore passages without radar limping up to Trinidad from south america with dead batteries . It's probably quite safe just with ais receive once you're well offshore but ....
Radar picks up the lot, a big plus way out is the alarm going off when a squall heading your way is still just heading and not on top of you, if it's a minor one you get the shampoo out and if it's a biggun then get sail down. I really don't like sleeping way (or not) offshore with no radar!

Coastal is sh!t solo. You just can't sleep.

And since I'm well through this bottle of Portuguese port lets expand...

So please don't take any of this as any kind of insult, go for it , what you're doing is to admired
But...
Having been out there a HUGE lesson to be learned is to admit when you don't know, just bear in mind that there's a chance you might very well be wrong and try something else, if it's technical boat bits or passage planning, if it doesn't work admit it early and go a different way. HUGE lesson in so many areas with boats, if it ain't gonna work give up early and get out of there, find another way.
Your long term passage plan seems unlikely, but then again so what - it's a lovely world out there on a boat so maybe don't get so focused on the "big trip". The big trip will happen in one way or an other, let it roll.

The boat - I used to have Vega, they're great, tough boats. If I were looking at ocean then the top list would be short - wind vane steering, good set of sails and rigging, good anchors, enough electrics so the boat could still move with most stuff bust so low power ais receiver with alarm, low power masthead light, wfax receiver and of course radar

Good luck to you, you got a lot to do
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote