Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2017, 19:17   #46

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: What's your take on this Vega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
I'd never put serious thought into traveling this section of coast until now and after doing the research and just seeing how crummy the weather has been lately all up and down the coast, I'm not going to buy the boat, yeah its a good deal but, yeah, sailors with a LOT more experience than me in much bigger vessels have died on the stretch even recently...so nah. I will just use the time to get more experience on other people's boats

I'm sure I can find a really nice, probably even nicer Vega further down the road and I'll have more time, money and experience then
It's quite a bit easier in summer, but it is a wise move. It's a long slog. If you could find a good trailer first then it makes shopping in faraway places a little more doable, and a trailer for a Vega would be great too anyway because you could take her north or come down this way and go to the Sea of Cortez with her pretty (relatively) easily.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:26   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusK View Post
The wind vane alone has to be worth ~$4k?
It looks what ? an old old Sailomat ?

You buy a new Windpilot at 1.5k, a new Monitor at 5k or a new Hydrovane at 6k.

Or you buy a new AP at USD400.

Last time I saw a similar unit for sale the asking was about 1.5k.

What makes you pay 4k for an old windvane of an old generation?

Good luck selling it at 4k. I am not buying.

Old generation aux equipment does not add value to a boat.

These elements may add value:
- a new inboard, (+- 7k)
- new sails, (+- 2k)
- new standing rigging, (+- 1k)
etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:10   #48

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

Quote:
I'd never put serious thought into traveling this section of coast until now and after doing the research and just seeing how crummy the weather has been lately all up and down the coast, I'm not going to buy the boat, yeah its a good deal but, yeah, sailors with a LOT more experience than me in much bigger vessels have died on the stretch even recently...so nah. I will just use the time to get more experience on other people's boats

I'm sure I can find a really nice, probably even nicer Vega further down the road and I'll have more time, money and experience then
Hey Keto - here is another nice one to look at: http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/63479

Why not start your adventure in St. Maarten?
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:28   #49

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclancy View Post
Hey Keto - here is another nice one to look at: http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/63479

Why not start your adventure in St. Maarten?
This boat has been re powered with a Beta. That's a huge improvement over the original Volvo with the feathering prop.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 16:34   #50

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:

Others have perished in harbors and bays in much calmer weather, so that should not be the major factor. The decision is yours, and it can be considered reasonable for that reason alone, but perhaps even more so because you are placing your own abilities into the mix. Too many do not.
Old 13-02-2017, 17:54   #51

Boat: Alberg #0

Here's what looks like a non neglected Alberg30 for under $5k. Prob has original Atomic4 engine at this price but they are out there... https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/5970870305.html
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 19:05   #52

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
At home = where the boat was built.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albin_Vega

"They are considered very very basic boats in Sweden and not much sought after for a cruising weapon of choice unless you are a very young and underprivileged person.

If someone sailed one to the Antarctic it is no proof of how good the boat is for this specific purpose but rather of how very desperate, poor or stupid that particular person was..."

Cheers,
b.
I think I might have to paint this quote on the inside of my boat when I find it, haha, thanks for the laugh. I guess we value different things. I had briefly considered a Vancouver 27 but they tend to have a lot more wood on board to care for plus their heavier displacement and cutter rig (which I would buy) means more $$. In my opinion, I have one life to live and I'd rather spend it sailing then working to buy a more expensive boat and all the stuff to go with it. To some, simplicity is beauty.

I'm curious to know why you think a high latitude voyage would be foolish in one, though. I mean, assuming one replaced the original windows with some sort of flange framed upgrade and maybe beefed up the suppor for the mast. What makes a Vega worse than any other FG boat?
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 21:56   #53

I'd say it is the size. There isn't much room to stash all the food and water and stuff you need to be comfortable and safe in cold weather, in places where seas can get unruly. If you ditch the holding tank and inboard, that helps. It is still a tight squeeze IMO, but it has been done, I am sure.
Where are you planning to go?
BTW this review may be helpful too:
http://www.bluemoment.com/boatreviews/vegareview.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 08-05-2017, 16:21   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I'd say it is the size. There isn't much room to stash all the food and water and stuff you need to be comfortable and safe in cold weather, in places where seas can get unruly. If you ditch the holding tank and inboard, that helps. It is still a tight squeeze IMO, but it has been done, I am sure.
Albin Vega Cruising Yacht Review
I agree, it is a small boat. I think I will be able to tolerate the size, though. When I am at work I live in a much smaller space and all my worldly possessions do not fill up a Suzuki Sidekick (micro SUV) and I'm still in the process of throwing out more stuff so I'll have even less when I get a boat. I know of many others who've cruised extensively in Vegas with two people so I'm sure I can make it work as a solo bloke. My last boat was even smaller, haha.

I want to see it all so where I go will depend on where the boat I buy happens to be. Ideally I'll be able to purchase one in my home province of British Columbia and spend a few years sailing around there, getting experience before heading further away. If that doesn't work out, well, surprises can be fun
Old 08-05-2017, 21:00   #55

Did you see American Vagrant's Vega is for sale?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 08-05-2017, 21:22   #56

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Albin Vega Cruising Yacht Review
I know of 2 couples from Scandinavia that shared a Vega. I don't know if they went RTW but they did go TransAtlantic. There is sufficient storage on the Vega if the OP can live in the space.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:54   #57

Quote:
Did you see American Vagrant's Vega is for sale?
Yes I saw it, I don't like how it's set up at all.

No offense to American Vagrant, it's just not what I want.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:19   #58

Quote:

(...)

I'm curious to know why you think a high latitude voyage would be foolish in one, though.

(...)

What makes a Vega worse than any other FG boat?
It is not worse than any other FG, it is simply worse than some other FG boats, like e.g. the Vancouver 27 you have mentioned.

I think it would be foolish because it is a silly small and lightly built boat NOT designed, built, nor meant, for sailing to remote locations over troubled waters. It is a boat that was designed very many years ago to do weekend coastwise trips. Look up Swedish coast configuration to get some further insight.

I do not have any issues with people who do whatever they do in whatever way they do it. I simply do not advertise nor recommend doing things that could be done without taking extra risks resulting from poor choice of equipment.

So this is my blah reasoning.

Beyond the whole blah I did sail a rtw in a boat that is only marginally different (still, different) than a Vega. If you want any first hand experience, it was a very stupid idea that led to some life threatening moments. Life ends in death. You cannot make your life any second longer than it is said in the big book. But you can make it much shorter.

Choices, choices.

ymmv

Cheers,
b.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:23   #59

As I said before.

One can but a Vega cheaply in Denmark or Sweden and sail her to the West side on her own keel. If you guys want to do extended ocean voyages to the Southern Ocean in plastic toys, why not start with making a smaller, preparatory, bang easy peasy and vacation like trip from Denmark to Ft Lauderdale, via Gran Canaria?

Esp. that it could save you some 8k, which seems to count too.

Cheers,
b.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:33   #60

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Quote:
Yes I saw it, I don't like how it's set up at all.

No offense to American Vagrant, it's just not what I want.
How could you Martin, I'm totally offended