Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 17:59   #121
cruiser

Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Yes, I do get it that he likes the Grampian. Apparently, he likes his wife enough to compromise on what boat they have, something *you* apparently don't get.

Yeah, I say you were interfering, giving strong (and personally destructive) advice. He did put his personal life out there. That doesn't mean the rest of us should throw all social judgment out the window.
What, so if the woman doesn't get what she wants in this situation then that is "throwing all social judgement out the window"?
Why should she not be the one that compromises? Why him? It is his boat, his dream.
As I said, the guy can do what he wants, and sounds like the woman has got her way. I wish him well.
Personally I would have made her walk the plank.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 18:04   #122

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Oh my. Fortunately I know this man isn't representative of all Kiwi men ...

I am just stunned that someone would give such dramatic advice to a man he has never even met, attempting to interfere in something as important as a person's marriage.

There's a HUGE difference in living space, all other things being equal, between a 26' boat and a 34' boat. A person could easily prefer the larger boat. I could live, if I had to, alone, on a Catalina 27' but I much prefer the space my boat gives me. As much as I love living aboard, and as much as I love sailing, if I had a partner or husband I would want a bigger boat also.

How correct you are!!!!!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 18:25   #123
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi399 View Post
What, so if the woman doesn't get what she wants in this situation then that is "throwing all social judgement out the window"?
Why should she not be the one that compromises? Why him? It is his boat, his dream.
As I said, the guy can do what he wants, and sounds like the woman has got her way. I wish him well.
Personally I would have made her walk the plank.

I think she would have walked long before it came to that.

Buh-bye!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 19:22   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi399 View Post
Ditch the woman mate. It's your life, your boat, your dream. Her talk about "oh I will go anywhere in a 34 footer" is pure bumkin. Next she will want a 40 footer, then a 45 ... it will go on.

If she backed her man 100% she would go with you in any boat. She's not up for it mate, simple as that -- she goes.

Or, you can be like the other millions of beta males that supplicate to women these days, and be her little bitch while she wears the pants. Just hand in your mancard on your way out though.
Up to you.
Statement 100% true.... These are the words I have said to her, these are the words I believe in... However I am a science man and science is about evolution , I do not let my pas experiences dictate my present relation, I did not learn from my past about women, no I've learned about me and what's best for me.... Sins last December I have left without saying a word, no ifs or buts... I simply left from Montreal to Lake Huron and spent 30+ days on my boat cut off from everything and everyone... I have left in this manner not once but 4 times, and she never complained once, in fact she came to my rescue twice and drove 10h just to see me each times.... This lady has won (deserve) my love and respect... No two relations are similar she passed the test.
Mutual respect and understanding= big boat for her small boat for me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3291363271.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	67249

Name:	image-292835907.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	67248
Incentive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 19:36   #125

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Yup...A good "committed" woman, is difficult to find.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 19:37   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incentive View Post

Statement 100% true.... These are the words I have said to her, these are the words I believe in... However I am a science man and science is about evolution , I do not let my pas experiences dictate my present relation, I did not learn from my past about women, no I've learned about me and what's best for me.... Sins last December I have left without saying a word, no ifs or buts... I simply left from Montreal to Lake Huron and spent 30+ days on my boat cut off from everything and everyone... I have left in this manner not once but 4 times, and she never complained once, in fact she came to my rescue twice and drove 10h just to see me each times.... This lady has won (deserve) my love and respect... No two relations are similar she passed the test.
What if she doesn't like sailing on the big boat?
I will gladly sell it and make a profit...voila!
Old 15-09-2013, 19:58   #127

Quote:

What if she doesn't like sailing on the big boat?
I will gladly sell it and make a profit...voila!
I'd like to add to kiwis comment.... A good friend of mine thinks very much like you and I... He recently sold his condo and lives full time on his 24ft Olympic dolphin with his girlfriend , they met at Costco where they both work... Future project for them is to be transfer to Halifax and livabaord.... When asked, bigger boat not on the menu yet.....funny how some seems to be in perfect sync!
Old 15-09-2013, 19:58   #128
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

Attachment 67249

Attachment 67248

If you can afford it, that's the perfect solution. Some families have a Miata and a minivan for the same reason.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 20:15   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

+A1.... been some of my best sails..
What sailing solo? Or sailing a folkboat?
Old 15-09-2013, 20:36   #130

Quote:

What sailing solo? Or sailing a folkboat?
This photo says it all....fortune standing rigging , sleeved&epoxied mast, main reef fed to pickup the extra from shortened mast, unfinished plywood hatch and overloaded yet we left 3 days in open waters... No GPS no charts o any such things, it was perfect sailing....this little boat is unbeatable trust me!
Well almost, at anchor I renamed the boat (Crazy Horse)

Name:	image-2611032529.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	67257
Old 15-09-2013, 21:13   #131
cruiser

Quote:
I think she would have walked long before it came to that.

Buh-bye!
You need no fear of walking the plank Rakuflames -- you can just jump on your broomstick and fly away
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 21:21   #132

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

....ouch!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote