Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2023, 17:55   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: What is this sailboat?

Not to get you down here, but the cost to get it sailing again, will likely be more than the boat is worth.

Hard to say though, as I don't know what bits and pieces of the boat are still around, but the boat looks pretty ragged and beat up to me.

My guess is that the sails, rigging and all the various lines, etc, are beyond salvage and will need to be replaced.
Placing a cost number on all the parts you'll need is one thing, but the labor to do is quite another.
There was likely also some electrical components on or in the boat which will need to be addressed.

Even a small outboard will set you back a chunk of cash.

If you want to take it on as a hobby, you could give it a crack, as it is unlikely you'll find a yard to do the repairs at a cost that will be acceptable to you.

I built my own boat so I know what is involved and have watched countless others tackle " project" boats, The success rate of those builders is a very small percent.

You may decide to abandon the project after you have sunk a considerable amount of your time and money into it, but that will be time and money lost because nobody will be interested in a half completed boat.

Working on it part time on your driveway, is likely to take months and months....weather depending...and this assumes you have some tools and the knowledge to use them.

Finally, the boat is very small and there will be some practical limitations on what you might expect to do with it.

I can go and on, but the bottom line is that it is not worth fixing, and even trying to sell it "as is" would be a challenge.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 18:03   #17

Boat: Volkscruiser

MicHughV I am not sure what limitations you are talking about? Both the Hurley 18 and Hurley 22 have crossed the Atlantic. The biggest limitation would be how brave BigCity is feeling......At least with this boat you have an almost blank canvas so you could get everything right for an offshore voyage.
Cheers
Hurley 22
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:55   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Well, I knew someone would throw out that fact that these little boats have crossed the Atlantic. People have crossed the Atlantic in all manner of crafts, and also circumnavigated in small boats. This is true.

This particular boat in question would require a dedicated effort and a gung-ho sailor to accomplish such a voyage.....should that be the goal, I just don't see it here.
Could be wrong, off course...just my 2c.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:47   #19

Lets just drop the ******** and cut to the chase. The boat is a piece of junk. In my opinion to get that ship shape would cost you anywhere between $5000 to $10,000. And that is doing all the labor yourself. The poster talking about $2,000 is talking about someone with his experience and connections scouring marinas and junkyards for the right boat. No offense but you aren't that person. I can tell by the questions you are asking and by posting the pictures of the common sailing accessories and trailer that you though would ID this boat. You don't put money into a boat expecting to get it back, but after putting $5,000 to $10,000 in it maybe you can sell it for $1,500 or even less. If your goal is to sail the world. I suggest you use that money to actually just buy a better sailboat and honor your grandpa with his memory not trying to fix up his junk boat. But at least it is on a trailer so you don't have to pay someone to pick it up and take it to the dump.
CaptainTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 14:36   #20

Thanks for the information ! So far we identified it! It’s a Hurley 20! And for the usage of the boat, clearly would not be to sail to the ice wall! If it is kept would be at lakes reservoirs! I’m very well mechanically, with shop and have 20 years in construction background …. A buddy that does fibreglass work/ paint. So work being done really isn’t the point!
I’m just curious and looking for help as far as to make it sailable and reliable and what it would cost?
What is missing riggings mast etc… engine……costs with that? Don’t need anything super exact but just trying to pick some experts brains …. I mean 2000$-1000$ seems like large quotes for materials?

And to say it’s only 1500$? Hell this trailer I can sell or use get 6-800$ anyway really appreciate all the info!
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 15:45   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
Thanks for the information ! So far we identified it! It’s a Hurley 20! And for the usage of the boat, clearly would not be to sail to the ice wall! If it is kept would be at lakes reservoirs! I’m very well mechanically, with shop and have 20 years in construction background …. A buddy that does fibreglass work/ paint. So work being done really isn’t the point!
I’m just curious and looking for help as far as to make it sailable and reliable and what it would cost?
What is missing riggings mast etc… engine……costs with that? Don’t need anything super exact but just trying to pick some experts brains …. I mean 2000$-1000$ seems like large quotes for materials?

And to say it’s only 1500$? Hell this trailer I can sell or use get 6-800$ anyway really appreciate all the info!
Take whatever anyone says on here and double it. Boat projects are never as simple as they sound at the start. Then maybe if you're lucky you can make it across the Atlantic.
CaptainTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 15:52   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTommy View Post
Take whatever anyone says on here and double it. Boat projects are never as simple as they sound at the start. Then maybe if you're lucky you can make it across the Atlantic.
Thanks for the great advice! But i'm looking to get an actual figure?
Old 02-02-2023, 15:58   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What is this sailboat?

If you are serious about doing up the Hurley I suggest you sign up here for all the information you'll need like mast length, wire sizes, sails etc..

http://www.hurleyownersassociation.co.uk/pages/h20.htm
Good luck

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 16:00   #24

Thank you for the link any idea on a breakdown of the cost?
Old 02-02-2023, 16:06   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
Thanks for the great advice! I'm not looking to do anything like cross the Atlantic, looking to putter around on some lakes. Realistically tho, what would it cost to get it ready for that and what needs to be fixed?

What needs to be fixed?

As a first approximation:
Mast, boom, standing rigging, running rigging, winches, fairleads, cleats/jammers, mainsail, 2 x headsails, portlight, .....

Cost of the above? Several thousand dollars even if you spend a lot of time scrounging around second hand marine suppliers.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 16:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
What needs to be fixed?

As a first approximation:
Mast, boom, standing rigging, running rigging, winches, fairleads, cleats/jammers, mainsail, 2 x headsails, portlight, .....

Cost of the above? Several thousand dollars even if you spend a lot of time scrounging around second hand marine suppliers.
What is the most expensive item of the above?
Old 02-02-2023, 16:39   #27

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Just plugged in the approximate mast size to fit your boat, see attachment. That’s with 0 hardware, which you will need a lot of.

Used ones will be cheaper and come with some hardware. But of course you have to find one that is near enough to fitting the boat. And shipping isn’t going to be free on a 25 ft mast:

EBay used mast link
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBF46C23-B8BF-458F-9882-5EBA513534E7.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	271040  
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 17:09   #28

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

So there is no mast, boom or sails at all? Just the hull? I have no idea what might be available in your area but look to any local marinas to talk with folks about where they shop. Look to ebay and Craigslist of course but with just a hull I’d probably have to adjust my estimate. I think the mast and boom may be the priciest items.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 17:31   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
So there is no mast, boom or sails at all? Just the hull? I have no idea what might be available in your area but look to any local marinas to talk with folks about where they shop. Look to ebay and Craigslist of course but with just a hull I’d probably have to adjust my estimate. I think the mast and boom may be the priciest items.
Thanks for the info! I was assuming that would the highest cost. I haven't done much research yet. But I was looking for a rough estimate to see if I should proceed. Would you think $3,000 to $5,000 sounds about right? How about you?
Old 02-02-2023, 18:15   #30

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

You are looking for a number, but you need to really take this expression above to heart:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
…how long is a piece of string?…
We don’t know what’s missing (though it’s sounding like a lot), we don’t know what might be broken or damaged or rotten, we don’t know your skills and experience, we don’t know your standards and expectations.

If we knew all of those things, the answer would still be a range.

If you want to know what it would take to get it in the water at your local reservoir, I’d say $50 for two long paddles and the price of gas. Just check for leaks before you pull the trailer out of the water.

If you want to know what it would cost me to bring it up to my standards in order to bring my family out on it for a weekend cruise on the coast, I’d say $10,000 bare minimum, plus somewhere in the range of 1000 - 2000 hours of labor.

Your answer could be anywhere in there (actually my number is nowhere near the upper limit).

What you need to do is start researching and pricing out things one by one. People here can help you understand what you may or may not need, and what those things might cost. But there are too many questions and assumptions and details to give a meaningful top line number.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat