Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2023, 18:18   #31

Re: What is this sailboat?

All there is is the hull. Nothing electrical or with an engine or masts or sails. Just the hull. What do you think?
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 18:19   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Maybe somebody needs to point this out to you again. Whatever estimate, you or anyone, gives you, to rebuild this boat...double it.

Your first task would be to inspect, clean and repair the hull...inside and out. This will be a time and money consuming effort and you will have yet to have purchased any rigging, etc.
All those windows will need to repaired, replaced, properly installed, etc...all this will take time and money, etc.
Just chasing around to find parts will cost time and money, etc.

A target estimate as pointed out before is $5-10K. I would lean towards the $10k end.

It is foolish to try and get an estimate from this forum. We are not there, we can't see anything, can't assess anything, etc.

Prior to building my own boat, I had....I thought....estimated what it would take to build it down to the last dime.
I was woefully wrong.
It took three times longer, and the final price was w-a-a-a-y more than what I had originally estimated, despite me scrounging bits and pieces everywhere.

And so it will be for you too...

As said earlier, I lean towards the $10k estimate, not an unreasonable number at all.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 18:43   #33

Big City better have some Big Pockets because this boat looks like a $$$ headache.
CaptainTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 18:53   #34

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
All there is is the hull. Nothing electrical or with an engine or masts or sails. Just the hull. What do you think?
$162

Oceansouth Heavy Duty Pair of Oars 9ft Long with Oar Locks, Split Shaft https://a.co/d/cuPDTox
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 20:16   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I suggest that you have a look for prices being asked for complete and usable Hurleys. Then compare those numbers with the various estimates that you have been given for restoration of your Gramps boat.

Honestly, what nearly everyone has been trying to tell you is that restoring this boat is not a practical or economical idea. I have been immersed in cruising and sailing for over 50 years and am pretty competent with the required skills in such a job... and I would not even consider the project that you are entertaining as a newbie.

Your money, your time, your choice, but you asked for advice and there has been a lot given... and not much has been supportive in the long run. Parade raining isn't much fun, but sometimes such weather is a godsend!

Jim
Old 02-02-2023, 21:02   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
Just plugged in the approximate mast size to fit your boat, see attachment. That’s with 0 hardware, which you will need a lot of.

Used ones will be cheaper and come with some hardware. But of course you have to find one that is near enough to fitting the boat. And shipping isn’t going to be free on a 25 ft mast:

EBay used mast link

That's $450 for an appropriate length second hand mast. But at least it's got a few fittings already.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 21:13   #37

Boat: Volkscruiser

Big City I had a couple of good friends get me to survey a similar size project on a trailer here in Australia. It was the usual blind euphoria that accompanies most boat projects. These friends had even chosen the boat name, which was winners, since every time they called the coastguard, everyone would know what a steal their boat was. Anyway, long story short a year later the friendship is over the boat is almost ready, but still a long way from being seaworthy. The instigator of the project takes the boat to the dump and watches the front-end loader take the boat off the trailer and crush it. He then takes the trailer to the scrap yard and donates it to them. There was so much animosity between the friends they could never have fairly divided up what each spent on the project. My point being that no one knows you and how you will tackle this project. If you're like me, I always have an eye out for a bargain so it could be done cheaply. Very quickly on Facebook I found a mast, boom and sails from a Kells 23 for a $150 in Clayton DE. In the same area is a nice Honda four stroke 5hp outboard for $500. So, your $650 in, now it's just ropes (there's a 600' coil of 3/8 nylon for $95 in the neighbourhood), pulleys there's two ads one is make an offer for a bunch of pulleys and the other is a $100 for a sweet mainsheet system. I would buy both. I didn't see an outboard bracket but there's plenty advertised from $30 upwards. None of this gear is flash but it will get you on the water at a reasonable cost. Then there is your sweat equity, if you can create some spare time then it's doable. If you have kids, it's the sort of project they could help out with. Both my son and daughter have helped me restore boats.
MicHughV not many sailors would have the cojones to sail a boat like this across the Atlantic.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 03:23   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What is this sailboat?

See here for what a Hurley 20 in decent shape with all the gear for cruising would cost you in the UK...
https://dougedwardsyachts.co.uk/hurley-20/

Only you can figure if your hull is worth the expense and effort.. if achievement has the greater value than the cost.. go for it.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:10   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boatman,

That's a no brainer. If you can buy that Hurley 20, shown above, for 2,000 pounds, vs. a costly and time consuming " project", the decision should be an easy one.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:16   #40

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, let's keep in mind that the OP is not planning on cruising, or even getting out into the open sea. A 20' boat is a very small boat. I'd probably even skip the engine unless a really good deal on a 5hp came along. Do you really need electrical? Do you want to get the boat sailing or make her Bristol? I think I hear just sailing, safely of course. I used to rent boats like that often as a kid, with no engine, and go sailing, and I never got caught out needing a tow back in. Add oars or a yuloh! Again I don't know what is available in your area, but in areas with lots of boats around, you can find a lot of stuff pretty cheap, especially if you are not in a hurry.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:28   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What is this sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Boatman,

That's a no brainer. If you can buy that Hurley 20, shown above, for 2,000 pounds, vs. a costly and time consuming " project", the decision should be an easy one.
Just giving the OP an idea of the possible value of his boat 'IF' he can restore it to a similar standard..
But as I said.. it all boils down to how much he values achievement over $$$'s..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:04   #42
Marine Service Provider

It's the "curse of the boatbuilder" syndrome.

I've seen it countless times. Someone spies a derelict boat somewhere, and the imagination runs wild. They want "that" boat. and no other, but "that" boat. The reasons for this curse evolve in some part of the brain that is inaccessible to common sense.

There is little one can do, but allow the curse to run it's path. Time and money soon take a toll on the curse, which is the only way the curse will eventually meet it's untimely end.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:32   #43

Once again appreciate opinions! So what is it exactly that is so time consuming? Is it fibreglass work? Is it waiting for Amazon to deliver what items I need? Is it drilling new holes for rigging? Is it shitty vinyl bus seat interrior? Is it an 8hp outboard? I do remodeling for a living and for what you guys continue to describe… clearly I may need to send new pictures…… either way ONCE AGAIN!!!!’ was not looking for an opinion on difficulty nor negative laziness that seems to saturate the world! Simply wanted to find what was missing and :1 how to possibly replace it:2 idea of costs that it would take! And I’d sail to Hawaii…..fyi……everybody is so fascinated on crossing the Atlantic! No thanks even the icebergs want yo come this way!
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:48   #44

You got a lot of experienced old hands here that are coming to the same conclusion that this fixer upper just isn't worth it. Now just eyeballing it looks to several people on here a $10,000 job. The best advice anyone can give you on this boat is to drop it off at the dump. But if you want an exact estimate you should take it to a professional marine surveyor and get a quote . You might just need to learn for yourself and sink $$$ into this before you take the free advice on here.
CaptainTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:46   #45

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Once again appreciate opinions! So what is it exactly that is so time consuming? Is it fibreglass work?
Yes

Quote:
Is it waiting for Amazon to deliver what items I need?
Yup

Quote:
Is it drilling new holes for rigging?
Yeah

Quote:
Is it shitty vinyl bus seat interrior?
Definitely

Quote:
Is it an 8hp outboard?
That too

Quote:
was not looking for an opinion on difficulty
Huh? Time consumption and difficulty are inseparably linked.

I think I said this before, but you need to start asking specific questions if you want specific answers. Asking what’s so time consuming, and how much will the project cost, are very broad questions, that will get varied and vague answers.

Earlier I posted a link to used masts for ~$450 + shipping. The mast won’t be an exact fit, so you will probably have to buy or fabricate a new mast step (time or money). You will need standing rigging. You will need to find and buy the hardware to connect the rigging to your mast and your chainplates (which probably need to be replaced). Ok, now you have a mast, next step, boom….

And on it goes
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat