Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2023, 12:47   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: What is this sailboat?

You need to find out for yourself is the short and sweet answer.
Nobody knows, and nobody can know as nobody is walking in your shoes
You have been afforded many opinions and guesses, which is as good as it's gonna get here.
So, time for you to leave this forum, roll up your sleeves and go pound the pavement for a while and find out for yourself.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 13:02   #47

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
Once again appreciate opinions! So what is it exactly that is so time consuming? Is it fibreglass work? Is it waiting for Amazon to deliver what items I need? Is it drilling new holes for rigging? Is it shitty vinyl bus seat interrior? Is it an 8hp outboard? I do remodeling for a living and for what you guys continue to describe… clearly I may need to send new pictures…… either way ONCE AGAIN!!!!’ was not looking for an opinion on difficulty nor negative laziness that seems to saturate the world! Simply wanted to find what was missing and :1 how to possibly replace it:2 idea of costs that it would take! And I’d sail to Hawaii…..fyi……everybody is so fascinated on crossing the Atlantic! No thanks even the icebergs want yo come this way!
So are you in Southern California? If so you'll have fun visiting Minney's in Costa Mesa. Here is the link:
Home
Call them and ask prices. Or actually, look at their website, Etchells mains for $150 and jib for $100! One afternoon in there and you could probably outfit the whole boat for under 2K. That boat is small enough you could easliy make your own standing rigging too. I have some old turnbuckles for my boat that would be overkill for yours and you can have them for free!

Ok I'll go out on a limb here and say I am guessing you could find a suitable mast and boom for around $500, that might even have decent standing rigging attached if it came off a boat that was wrecked on some rocks. A used, in decent shape, main and jib for that size probably $200-$300 a piece. Bacon Sails in MD and Minney's have used sails. Shops like that even have old running rigging that is fine but someone thought it looked too dirty. If you just want to get her sailing I see it as doable. Sounds like you have the tools and DIY skills so I say why not?

There are plenty of people who have gotten in way over their heads on boat restoration but I think you can get there from here if you don't go crazy on stuff that doesn't have to be new or perfect. You'd be amazed how a boat can look ugly in the driveway and then gorgeous once she is out sailing. And once you get her sailing, you'll be in a much better position to judge if you want to continue the restoration process or not.
Where are you?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 06:55   #48

Boat: Cutwater

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/kingfisher-20
I believe this is your boat. View the link above for the details and specifications which are a perfect match to your boat.
gevac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 06:59   #49

Boat: Cutwater

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/kingfisher-20 Is where you will find your boat and all the details about it.
gevac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:07   #50

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

It will be a project for someone, but it's not garbage. If the trailer can be registered (has a plate and registration papers, or just a plate) it's worth $500 to someone to fix up.
Bilge keel boats have a following, and Hurleys are well built.
Don't spend much time and money on it. If you can pressure wash the fiberglass, do that.
Some one will want that boat. Put it on your local Craigslist and facebook Marketplace.
Worst case is to give it away to someone with lots of time, and not much money.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:14   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

A boat like that found in your Grandfathers back yard...
current state $0.00 in monetary value.

Being able to refurbish it and dream of sailing waters like your Grand Father did.
PRICELESS.

Sailors deal with the costs, but dream of being on the water.

There are many hobbies a person can have. Old cars, landscaping, cooking, quilting, mistresses...
But a Boat.... That is a mistress a significant other can tolerate.

Well at least some of the time.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:17   #52

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

This boat would be great for some young kids to play pirate ship on and let their imaginations go wild. It would sit nicely on the keels out back in a field. Sell the trailer. Save up $5,000 of mad money while you are looking around for used boats. You will get a good education by looking at many boats in that price range. Buy a boat after a year of looking and go sailing with your family and friends.
ChrisPuget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 08:40   #53

I think you would be better to give it away rather than having the problem of disposing it yourself.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:47   #54

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

The only frame in which fixing this boat makes any sense at all is a deeply sentimental one in which you want to make it into a memorial for your grandfather. In that frame, throwing $5-10 k at it could make more sense that what some people put into caskets and headstones (which sail quite poorly). This will be TONS of work, it will be incredibly difficult to find some of the parts you need or hugely expensive to have them fabricated (e.g., pulpit), and probably take you years to accomplish. If it fails, which many people here have told you is a likely outcome, it could leave you even sadder to have failed to honor his memory in the way you hoped.
Maybe another approach of honoring your grandfather would be to go out and buy a boat in sailable condition and actually sail instead? Name it after something that reminds you of him. Meditate when you are out on the water about what a great guy he was and how happy it would have made him to see you out there sailing.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 10:38   #55

The Hurleys were quite well made so I would expect the hull to be quite sound.
It would be a good opportunity for somebody to make a nice little coastal cruiser
Slainte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 11:06   #56
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

think about donating your boat. they will come and get it.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:08   #57

Boat: Sigma 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
See here for what a Hurley 20 in decent shape with all the gear for cruising would cost you in the UK...
https://dougedwardsyachts.co.uk/hurley-20/

Only you can figure if your hull is worth the expense and effort.. if achievement has the greater value than the cost.. go for it.
That advert looks like a lot of boat for the money. Even so, I bet the owner ends up selling it to some dude at a considerable discount just to stop spending money on it. It's so sad but the sale value in the UK will not be much more than what the current owner appears to have spent on maintenance after he last used it - if he had the yard do the antifoul.

The sad fact is that refitting an old fibreglass yacht costs as much as fitting out a new fibreglass yacht. I don't know what proportion the hull cost is of a new 21ft production boat but I'd bet its not more than 1/2 the retail price of a new boat. There is no economic return on spending time and labour on your 50-60 year old hull.

OP - If you have the time and cash to spare and you want to make a tribute to your Grandfather - great. If you hate to see the waste and want to go sailing on the cheap, well damn that's an expensive way to do it.

(10 years running and owning a small boatyard before I sold out 'cos I needed to actually earn a living when Mrs L. got pregnant - not sure how that happened!)
GBR134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 11:20   #58

Red face Re: What is this sailboat?

[QUOTE=GBR134;3740059]That advert looks like a lot of boat for the money. Even so, I bet the owner ends up selling it to some dude at a considerable discount just to stop spending money on it."

OK. I was wrong about the advertised boat. On reading the ad again I see it was clearly marked as 'Sold' but I also noticed this statement 'A well know example previously owned by Alastair Buchan who wrote a book about his Atlantic trip in her. Lying Beaumaris, North Wales, UK.'

I guess that pedigree generated some interest. However, there are hundreds of small 18 - 20' cabin cruisers abandoned in the UK that are far more complete than yours that the owners are struggling to get rid of.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:30   #59

An example - not much use to you (location) but probably ready to sail for less than it will cost you to fit a second hand mast and boom on yours 5 minutes research!

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/se...or-sale/714743
Old 06-02-2023, 11:48   #60

Boat: Looking

This may be a good resource for finding help and parts. https://www.sailnet.com/

Consider DIY mast and boom made of wood for that boat. https://duckworks.com/ has lots of good cheap stuff for small sailboats. Pleanty of videos about making small sail boat masts and booms on youtube. I know a little about sailboats, but not enough to give any ideas on cost.

No boat is an appreciating asset. The question is, how much enjoyment and fun will you have once the money is spent. If I keep to my plan, and my health doesn't go to **** yet again, I have plans to build a small sailboat for the lakes around me. It's 18ft. I'm expecting to have around $6000 to $8000 in it. I doubt I'll make it to my 60s. I'm almost 46. If the boat lasts me 10 to 15 years, it will have been worth it for me.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat