Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 17:33   #1

Boat: Beneteau 41S5
What Boat - Here's The General Specifics (?)

Hi All -
I tried this once before, without quite as many detailed specifics, and some goober on this board (still not sure why he took so much of his time to be a pain-in-the-ass), couldn't let me have my wish list whittled down without beating me up. I'm trying again, just looking for some ideas as I presently have a Beneteau First 41S5 and although it is a great boat, it is not The Boat for us.
Realizing it has it's short-comings and it's detractors, we've got the Vagabond 42 on our list, what else??

Max 5.5' draft full keel as this boat will be in the Caribbean for a few years before we move on;
Monohull;
38' - 42'-ish;
Ketch for multiple sail combos, short-handed;
$125k ready to go, less if it needs outfitting;
Ocean crosser;
Nice, liveable rear cabin so a center cockpit probably;
2 cabins only;
2 heads;
Salon with 1 side for table/settee, 1 side for walk-through (like the Catalina 42 for instance);
Possible mini-work area;
Reasonable storage;
Minimum 50 gallons fuel;
Minimum 100 gallons water.

No doubt I've forgotten some details but what comes to mind?

And if you really just can't help but criticize, please start your reply with.... "You're an idiot" and I'll know to pass on by without reading.

Thanks! - AJ & CA
97fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 17:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: What Boat - Here's The General Specifics (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97fxdwg View Post
Hi All -
I tried this once before, without quite as many detailed specifics, and some goober on this board (still not sure why he took so much of his time to be a pain-in-the-ass), couldn't let me have my wish list whittled down without beating me up. I'm trying again, just looking for some ideas as I presently have a Beneteau First 41S5 and although it is a great boat, it is not The Boat for us.
Realizing it has it's short-comings and it's detractors, we've got the Vagabond 42 on our list, what else??

Max 5.5' draft full keel as this boat will be in the Caribbean for a few years before we move on;
Monohull;
38' - 42'-ish;
Ketch for multiple sail combos, short-handed;
$125k ready to go, less if it needs outfitting;
Ocean crosser;
Nice, liveable rear cabin so a center cockpit probably;
2 cabins only;
2 heads;
Salon with 1 side for table/settee, 1 side for walk-through (like the Catalina 42 for instance);
Possible mini-work area;
Reasonable storage;
Minimum 50 gallons fuel;
Minimum 100 gallons water.

No doubt I've forgotten some details but what comes to mind?

And if you really just can't help but criticize, please start your reply with.... "You're an idiot" and I'll know to pass on by without reading.

Thanks! - AJ & CA
My brother just bought an Oday 39.9 tri cabin and he likes it a lot and had the same criteria as you seem to have ..dont know much about them myself but maybe you should check one out ..I hear they are hard to find but worth the effort..so says my brother..good luck..oh ya we all are idiots..to a certain point...LOL...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 18:15   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

MORGAN 41 O/I Meets all stated requirements except maybe tankage which is easy to remedy with bladders. Designed for caribbean charter trade so shallow and durable. Several have been around the world. Many were available as Ketches.

Original model had 2 pilot berths which would be my preference on passage.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 18:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
My brother just bought an Oday 39.9 tri cabin and he likes it a lot and had the same criteria as you seem to have ..dont know much about them myself but maybe you should check one out ..I hear they are hard to find but worth the effort..so says my brother..good luck..oh ya we all are idiots..to a certain point...LOL...DVC
Thanks - and for the sense of humor!
Old 12-11-2011, 18:57   #5

Boat: Transpac 49

Ok, I am an Idiot

Foremost item missing from your list is $$$ What is your budget, or has the Admiral given you a blank cheque?
Old 12-11-2011, 19:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieBloke View Post
Ok, I am an Idiot

Foremost item missing from your list is $$$ What is your budget, or has the Admiral given you a blank cheque?
No, no, it was supposed to be YOU'RE an idiot, meaning me! But up there towards the top of the list is $125k RTG, or less if work is needed. But thanks for playing, let's hear about your parting gifts.
Old 12-11-2011, 19:45   #7

Boat: Transpac 49

Lol See, I am an idiot I missed that bit on your list. So basically you will need about 20k to bring her up to scratch, leaving about 100k to play with. That should get you something very nice.

Just interested why a ketch rig in a medium sized boat (38-40)? Most boats in the size you are considering are nearly all a sloop rigged, and many with in mast furling, making things considerably easier. I personally would not get too fixed on a ketch rig for this size, as you may miss out on a very well appointed yacht that has been already setup, but the owners plans have changed.

Suggested sloops would be Tayana, Westerly, Irwin, Moody, Brewer to name few.

Check out this link Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising some very good advice from a respected cruiser.

Hope this helps.

Bloke
Old 13-11-2011, 06:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieBloke View Post
Lol See, I am an idiot I missed that bit on your list. So basically you will need about 20k to bring her up to scratch, leaving about 100k to play with. That should get you something very nice.

Just interested why a ketch rig in a medium sized boat (38-40)? Most boats in the size you are considering are nearly all a sloop rigged, and many with in mast furling, making things considerably easier. I personally would not get too fixed on a ketch rig for this size, as you may miss out on a very well appointed yacht that has been already setup, but the owners plans have changed.

Suggested sloops would be Tayana, Westerly, Irwin, Moody, Brewer to name few.

Check out this link Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising some very good advice from a respected cruiser.

Hope this helps.

Bloke
Bloke - Escellent points, all. And I think you're right about not getting tunnel-vision regarding the ketch. I have also previously owned a Pearson 385, which although having the benefits of a center cockpit, sailed poorly and the main traveller was non-existent. Odd arrangement but we'll open our minds a bit further. Thanks for the ideas, we'e persuing them already.
AJ & CA
Old 13-11-2011, 06:49   #9

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Brewer 42, Pearson 424. Both can be found ketch rigged at your price point, both are nice boats. I'm not sure about the settee arrangements in these boats, but they meet your other criteria.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 06:56   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

from the OP req't and use, how about an older but nice Morgan 41 OI or Whitney 42
Old 13-11-2011, 18:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
from the OP req't and use, how about an older but nice Morgan 41 OI or Whitney 42
Morgan is just not on my favorite list, I don't care for their looks, and I can't find anything on a Whitney 42. No results Googling it. Any websites, etc., for them?

Thanks!
Old 13-11-2011, 19:16   #12

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Maybe you ought to try googling "Whitby". The Brewer 12.8 is the same boat (same designer) only much improved.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 19:19   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

WHITBY 42
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 19:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Maybe you ought to try googling "Whitby". The Brewer 12.8 is the same boat (same designer) only much improved.
Thank you.