Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 01:49   #1

Wanting to lease a 40-50 foot yacht for 3-6 months 2018

We were planning on purchasing a yacht mid 2018 but instead have decided to spend the first season in the Med researching what is available and the costs involved.

Does yourself or anyone you know want to lease their boat rather than pay to have it sitting on the hard or on a marina between April & October next year?

We know we can obtain a visitor visa for 3 months but we are applying for an extended stay of 6 months.

My partner has been racing for 40+ years, been Commodore of a yacht club here in New Zealand, has operated a sailing school, built an extensive number of boats and has reasonable off shore racing experience.

Non smokers who will respect and treat your boat as our own.

Most of the time it will be just the 2 of us however we do have sailing friends/family that may join us every now and then so something that sleeps 6 would be perfect.

References available for those that are interested. We can also skype or facetime.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers!
Susan
Clewless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 05:46   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Wanting to lease a 40-50 foot yacht for 3-6 months 2018

Hi Susan, cool handle!
On the leasing thing, it sounds as if you already have some good resources at your disposal, though you may not realize it. I say as much because it's quite common for people to charter racing boats for various race series, specific races such as the Transpac for example, or even for a whole season. So I'd guess that given your noted friends & acquaintences, there's a bit of depth of experience in doing this. Along with examples of the kinds of contracts which go with same.

Plus, having those named connections should help you to network a bit in terms of looking for candidate boats. Up to & including some of your contacts knowing of boats which hardly get used anymore, but the owners have never thought of or considered chartering them for a bit. As there are many, many boats which sit unused virtually year round.

And if you're up for the leg work, literally, you can walk the docks in some areas, & look for underused boats. Then contacting the owners through the marina/moorage offices. It's worth a try, especially given that a surprising number of boats get sold in a similar manner.

Also you might try inquiring with firms who look after larger yachts. Be it those who do varnish & brightwork, professional captains & delivery services, or those in more specialized or intensive yacht care fields.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 12:29   #3

Thanks for the suggestions Uncivilized. Lots of research to be done in the next couple of months!
Cheers!
Susan
Clewless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 18:15   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Have you considered purchasing a boat and putting it in a charter fleet? Or do you only want it for 3-6 months and then get out? There are plenty of charter programs that go to paying off your purchase.

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, yacht