Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 00:48   #1

Boat: 1981 Vagabond 47
Cost for standing rigging for Vagabond 47

I did a search, "Cost for standing rigging for Vagabond 47", on this site but can't find any info. Can someone please tell me the cost for wire, not rod, and turnbuckles and other hardware for both mast.
dennymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:58   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Cost for standing rigging for Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymusic View Post
I did a search, "Cost for standing rigging for Vagabond 47", on this site but can't find any info. Can someone please tell me the cost for wire, not rod, and turnbuckles and other hardware for both mast.
In your place, I'd be asking a rigger, not faceless handles on CF. They will actually give you a quote which means something... we'll give you opinions!

Jim
Old 03-08-2017, 03:29   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Make a list of the components you want/need, starting at your chainplates, & going all of the way to your tang bolts & masthead. Then go to an online rigging supplier & plug in the numbers. Like RiggingandHardware.com Though parts are but a fraction of the equation. Just unrigging, & unwiring everything, plus crane time to lower the mast can be rather expensive if all of it's hired out.

But keep in mind there are always unexpected & expensive things which come up when redoing a rig. Some of them hardware, much of it labor. And given that it sounds as if you're unfamiiiar with rigging, the costs of a re-rig can be a bit higher due to this. Meaning your having to leave all/most of the work to the rig shop, & more of the decisions in their hands.

Not to mention my ever present recommendation to run an extra set of wires or two up your conduit, so that you can add things later, should you choose to, without dropping the mast. Ditto on adding a spare halyard sheave, & stay attachment point. Such as a Solent Stay, spare Spinnaker Halyard, or 2nd Topping Lift.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:58   #4

Boat: BYB Ltd, Vagabond 47

1st time posting, I’ve been here for a few years studying and yet I still bought the boat.
A few weeks ago we pulled both masts from our Vagabond 47, it’s the 2nd time we’ve done that in less than a year. The 1st time was in Oct as part of our new to us purchase and the trip south from Toronto through the NY canals. Thought for a moment during the trip about leaving them down the whole way but glad we put them back up, the conditions on the lower Hudson and LI Sound proved it was the right decision. This time down is part of our planned refit and we stripped the rigging from both once they were down. We also wanted them down to get the boat out of the weather to more easily address the teak deck and core work that we’re doing, yes that was in the plan. I might get a chance to run the standing rigging down to my local shop next week for inspection and quote to replace as needed. I’ll let you know what comes of it when I have word back. I will be pulling the chain plates for inspection at a later date but I can at least get what I have looked at to know more of what to expect with all that. The visible parts of the chain plates look to be in perfect shape, hoping the condition of what I can’t see is the same.
Keeping in mind that everyone’s situation will be different with this even on the same make/model and year of boat. For us we’re doing a lot of the leg work and labor ourselves and both masts were already coming down. Both the masts and booms are in great shape new/recently replaced, as are the connection points on each.Unfortunately the standing rigging cable, turnbuckles and chain plates were mostly reused and are much older, we have no record of their age. Visually they’re in great shape we just don’t want to take any chances after refit so full inspection time is due.
It is possible to replace one or two at a time while the masts are still up, if the chain plates and related connection points and bolts on the masts are all good but how do you really know. I’d be less than eager to do that on this boat especially since they’re deck stepped and it would be many trips up and down and to the rigger etc….
2Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:20   #5

"cost of wire" or "cost of rigging"?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:22   #6

FOLKS,,,,, please,,,, I'm just wanting a ballpark figure ok? Just an idea of a price for "wire, not rod, and turnbuckles and other hardware for both mast". I desperately need this right away for estimate only on a 47 that I'm considering buying in a hurry. I don't have much time on this to call a rigger, measure, check this and check that.

Please, just an estimate. You guys know these boats, I do not.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:23   #7

Cost for a sloop with a 93' airdraft, triple spreader, rod with all new fittings and turnbuckles is ~$15k. But as others have said ask a rigger or a spar maker.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"cost of wire" or "cost of rigging"?
Estimate for both.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
In your place, I'd be asking a rigger, not faceless handles on CF. They will actually give you a quote which means something... we'll give you opinions!

Jim
Thank you Jim. I just took your advice.

Thanks everyone. I just called a rigging company in my area and got a quote from the owner who is very familiar with the Vag-47 requirements.

Estimate is very close;
Wire and turnbuckles = $8500.00
Labor = $3000.00

Sounds pretty good. I thought it would be MUCH more. Of course there will be extra charges for other things that are seen at time of work.

Sorry to sound "testy" in my previous reply everyone. I'm just stressed today. Lot of money and big decision.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:33   #10

Pretty tough. 15 years ago for a 47 foot cutter I had the mast completely rebuilt, including the in mast furling, painted and all new rigging. I did none of the work myself. It was $16k back then. But I was too busy to "work the problem" and hone the prices and things down at the time.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:36   #11

Seems steep, and for Texas. Quotes for a 42' were approx. $3500 for materials and the same for labor including mast removal, in Florida. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a boat shortly and understand your stress....
Good luck!
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:38   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

your costs will vary according to location and availabilities. find a real rigger not a forum of intrwebzz and ask that individual, as that soul has local info for you.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:44   #13

A ton of money can be saved by taking wires in yourself, etc etc. It's all up to how you feel about it. Wire is amazingly cheap, although a 47 may have pretty good sized wire.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:46   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
FOLKS,,,,, please,,,, I'm just wanting a ballpark figure ok? Just an idea of a price for "wire, not rod, and turnbuckles and other hardware for both mast". I desperately need this right away for estimate only on a 47 that I'm considering buying in a hurry. I don't have much time on this to call a rigger, measure, check this and check that.

Please, just an estimate. You guys know these boats, I do not.
I did a full rerig on my 42 Pearson cutter rig eight years ago. Included all new wire, turnbuckles, toggles, etc. Total cost a hair over $3000 for the parts. Rigger said they would have installed for a few hundred.

For a 47 with slightly larger wire should still come in under $4000. If a ketch add another $2000 or so.

Mack Sails in FL is a good source for all this. Rigging only I haven't dealt with but has a very good reputation.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:48   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Thank you Jim. I just took your advice.

Thanks everyone. I just called a rigging company in my area and got a quote from the owner who is very familiar with the Vag-47 requirements.

Estimate is very close;
Wire and turnbuckles = $8500.00
Labor = $3000.00

Sounds pretty good. I thought it would be MUCH more. Of course there will be extra charges for other things that are seen at time of work.

Sorry to sound "testy" in my previous reply everyone. I'm just stressed today. Lot of money and big decision.
Unless wire and parts have increased a lot since I did mine this sounds a bit high. If you're a ketch rig then only a little high but the labor sounds very high.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging