Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2017, 21:17   #16

Boat: valiant 40
Re: Visiting foreign ports without insurance?

My anchor has held in a sixty knot squall, and I've dragged in 10 kns, I must lack judgement and experience.
Old 14-05-2017, 21:33   #17

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

This brings up the question: Where do you buy insurance if it is not available in your home locale? There are many companies that offer international insurance; anyone have experience or a track record with them?
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 22:00   #18

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
This brings up the question: Where do you buy insurance if it is not available in your home locale? There are many companies that offer international insurance; anyone have experience or a track record with them?
Contact a broker and have them shop for policies for you. Here's a broker that will deal with boats that are not local. They usually supply a UK based Lloyds policy. If you are getting insurance on a currently uninsured boat you will probably need a survey
Contact The Marina Shop in Opua for all your marine insurance needs
Old 14-05-2017, 22:15   #19

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Contact a broker and have them shop for policies for you. Here's a broker that will deal with boats that are not local. They usually supply a UK based Lloyds policy. If you are getting insurance on a currently uninsured boat you will probably need a survey
Contact The Marina Shop in Opua for all your marine insurance needs
Thanks for the link; their registration system requires an NZ address, so that leaves us out.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 00:02   #20

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
Thanks for the link; their registration system requires an NZ address, so that leaves us out.
I used them without a Kiwi address. Maybe they can recommend a broker to you.
Old 15-05-2017, 08:07   #21

Boat: Reinke S10 - 34' Alu Junk Rig Schooner
pirate Stupid is that stupid does.

Liability insurance costs next to nothing and keeps you out of jail or obscene dept should you and your boat make a mess of things.
And don't be mistaken, Americans are the first to be fleeced when they screw up or if it can be pinned on them.

- Carrying no liability insurance is the second dumbest thing in sailing.
- The first is to get a boat in the first place.
- And yes, I'm a proud owner!

Plenty of marinas as well as customs require liability insurance to allow entry.
Junk Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 08:29   #22

Boat: Island Packet 32

Your hubris tells me you definitely should be required to have insurance, because MY boat is my pride and joy and is worth considerably more than 15K. Thank you Nanny State for require those who challenge the gods to be responsible for the consequences.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 08:31   #23

Variant, the only country whose officials have ever asked to see evidence of insurance coverage was Sri Lanka. But, I have not cruised in Europe yet. And, as to your statement, "I don't drag." That, in my opinion, marks you as a newbie. Sooner or later, every active sailor drags anchor and sooner or later we all go aground. 99.9 % of the time we reset the hook in time, and 99.9% of the time we get afloat again. But we do get into trouble now and then. Be care what you say. The fates take notes.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 08:33   #24

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
My anchor held in 50 knots+ I don't drag.
Ha ha that's what they all say! If everything goes south any boat can drag, but thats not the point here. We only carry liability only - tired of insurance company's telling us when & where I can sail, etc. We'll sail conservatively, watch our seasons, avoid night time landfalls, etc. And our boat, like yours, is modest. We can afford the loss. although we'd be heartbroken... Our liability policy is a decent one, and we have never had a problem checking in. Once there was an issue at a 'snooty' marina, and a phone call was needed to clear it up.
But hey - consider the liability and forget the rest.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 08:44   #25

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

"I'll never drag my anchor" reminds me of a statement made on a motorcycle forum I belong to in reference to a discussion on wearing a helmet. The guy said "if I planned on going down I would stay home". I wear a helmet because I plan on surviving when I go down. Been there, done that.

There are only two kinds of sailors: those that have dragged anchor and those who will drag anchor. Then, there are the liars
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 08:53   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

LIABILITY insurance is mandatory in many areas and is non restrictive. it isnot hull replacement insurance, which is restrictive. liability is cheap for a reason--it does not cover replacement of a questionable hull or other items on board. it protects you from losing your ass in the event of a mishap.
even i use it, and i dislike insurance scampanies.
must have it in order to enter mexico. must have it to stay in a marina. must have it to cruise mexico. mine is under 200 usd annually. non restrictive and perfectly good coverage.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 09:04   #27

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
must have it in order to enter mexico. must have it to stay in a marina. must have it to cruise mexico.
That is not true in eastern MX. There is no mention of insurance during check in. No one has asked at any marina we have been too either. The same is true in Belize and Guatemala. Actually there is no mention of insurance all the way to MX on the west coast. You even go through the Panama Canal without insurance.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 09:19   #28

Boat: Prout

I've never been asked for insurance on some 30+ counties Ive sailed too save for I think it was required for the Panama Canal. Marinas are different and most require 3rd party £5.000.000. even if its just to fill up with fuel/water (its a shame its not recipricol and most 3rd world countries, if they are taking yachts out and damage it, turn around and refuse to accept responsibility!)

However for me being single handed can only get 3rd party (under £300 worldwide through Pantaenuis) it is peace of mind. Damaging the chief of the island yacht without insurance and ending up in jail until I can pay £200000 is not my idea of receiving local hospitality. On top of that yacht being impounded, confiscated or being put in a £200 a night marina till i have oaid up buts getting insurance into perspective.

Having said that I've met liveaboards and circumnavigation yachts-people without it even making up and printing their own "insurance policy". Personally I'd have too many sleepless nights, plus grossly unfair on the person whose yacht you've run into and who on,y has 3rd party insurance. 100% get insurance
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 09:21   #29

Boat: Lagoon 400
Smile Re: Visiting foreign ports without insurance?

Quote:
My idea of sailing is to just go, to feel free. I don't want to be restricted in one area by an insurance company. I also figure that if I sink while crossing an ocean I got more immediate things to worry about. Plus I only spent 15 grand on my boat including all the upgrades so I will hardly break the bank. What I was wondering is would they allow me to enter through customs without insurance papers
When clearing into a EC country, you are routinely asked to produce a third party liability insurance.
In marinas - SOP.
In Greece - any town with Port Police/Port Authority will ask for the TPL.

So - it will depend on the area you sail in.
However, it is a beneficial thing to have anyway. By Murphy's law it will keep you from causing damage. he day you sail without will be the day you hit someone
Old 15-05-2017, 09:25   #30

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
My anchor held in 50 knots+ I don't drag.
Famous Last Words if ever I heard them

Ask yourself this - would you drive a car without 3rd party insurance? Would you leave your home uninsured? Would you go without travel insurance to a foreign country? Would you go without health insurance in the USA?

If you can safely, hand on heart answer all of the above with a NO then go ahead and sail your boat without liability insurance but make sure you have 10 million in the bank because when your shackle snaps and you drift back into another boat be prepared to get your ass sued from here to hell and back again.

For a couple of hundred pounds (dollars, euro, kroner etc) you can get 5 or 10 million US cover and sleep soundly at night. Is it worth not paying for peace of mind?
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, ports