Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2023, 21:39   #1

Two sailboats?

I've already used Google to search this forum and there wasn't anything quite like this question.
If you owned the boat you own now, and an incredibly nice condition Catalina 22 on a trailer fell into your lap for $1000, would you buy it? Would you have time to use it?
If I did then I would have a 27' Pearson and the Catalina. When I retire I'm moving to Florida and will keep my 5'2" draft Pearson there. If I had the shallow draft Catalina I could explore many more areas, it would open up many more possibilities.
Plus, it's so small that I could keep it without it costing money every month. The thing is, it's been stored indoors it's whole life and not used once in over 20 years. It's almost like a brand new 40 year old boat. The sails are crisp and gleaming white, the cockpit cushions look like they've never seen sun or water or a butt, the gelcoat is so shiny I wouldn't even have to polish it. The mast looks like someone recently buffed it, but it hasn't been touched. I almost can't turn it down. It's the father of a friend.
Should I take on another boat? Would I ever use it? I don't have any experience on anything 22 so I don't know if I'd enjoy sailing it? Help!? Thank you
Supercat568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 21:54   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Two sailboats?

Time is only something you can manage. To me having to tow a boat to a ramp, raise the mast, rig it launch, park the car, and then do the same in reverse, as opposed to sailing off a dock would be a PITA. Then you will have to maintain that trailer which likely has electric brakes, maybe taxes in FL? I would be tempted to sell both and get a center board or lifting keel 30fter - that will take you to shoal draft heaven in the Bahamas or the Keys and be relatively comfortable.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 02:53   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

Only two boats???? You've got a long way to catch up! You can use the thought process my father taught me... Do you need it?....Do you REALLY want it??? Can you afford it??? If the answer to all threes is "No," go ahead and buy it! Seriously though, if it is a great deal, you could always probably sell it again and get your money back. Life is short!
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 02:57   #4

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

In the cycling community, the two rules about the appropriate number of bikes are:

The number of bikes you need = the number you currently have plus one.

and

The number of bikes you need = the number of bikes where your partner leaves you minus one.

Feel free to adopt for your purposes!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 03:30   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Time is only something you can manage. To me having to tow a boat to a ramp, raise the mast, rig it launch, park the car, and then do the same in reverse, as opposed to sailing off a dock would be a PITA. Then you will have to maintain that trailer which likely has electric brakes, maybe taxes in FL? I would be tempted to sell both and get a center board or lifting keel 30fter - that will take you to shoal draft heaven in the Bahamas or the Keys and be relatively comfortable.
This is the answer right here.

I owned 4 beach cats over the years. (16'- 20') Usually no more than 2 at any one time.

When I had to trailer them it was a royal PITA.

Luckily I found places where I could leave them assembled and near the water.

In Tennessee, that meant on a trailer mast up in the Sailing Club Parking Lot where the Lightnings and Thistles were kept mast up also.

In Florida, I kept one tied down mast up / assembled just above high water. The other which was the more high tech boat stayed next to it disassembled on it's trailer because the races I entered were sometimes as far as 125 miles away.

So in Florida I had to rebuild both trailers after a few years of being parked near salt water but luckily there was a boat trailer shop in Pensacola with every part needed for every trailer made it seemed.

As far as usage, I usually ended up always using the newer more high tech boat while my son would use the other usually a Hobie 16. He was 15-18 years old then and used them to sail to Pensacola Beach during the Summer....
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 06:57   #6

Just depends if you have the time and funds to maintain them both, and if you think you'll enjoy them. I met a woman once who owned 3 boats, all of them in the water.

Just be cognizant of the time commitment, it's not long before things "own you" as it were, where cost and time are more than they are worth in the enjoyment you get out of them.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 22:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
This is the answer right here.

I owned 4 beach cats over the years. (16'- 20') Usually no more than 2 at any one time.

When I had to trailer them it was a royal PITA.

Luckily I found places where I could leave them assembled and near the water.

In Tennessee, that meant on a trailer mast up in the Sailing Club Parking Lot where the Lightnings and Thistles were kept mast up also.

In Florida, I kept one tied down mast up / assembled just above high water. The other which was the more high tech boat stayed next to it disassembled on it's trailer because the races I entered were sometimes as far as 125 miles away.

So in Florida I had to rebuild both trailers after a few years of being parked near salt water but luckily there was a boat trailer shop in Pensacola with every part needed for every trailer made it seemed.

As far as usage, I usually ended up always using the newer more high tech boat while my son would use the other usually a Hobie 16. He was 15-18 years old then and used them to sail to Pensacola Beach during the Summer....
Totally agree with you on the trailering aspect. I also own a Supercat 17 with one heavy mast. It's not only a pita, it's dangerous. So my intention was never to trailer sail. Even with the Supercat I keep it where I can just dunk it in and go. Unfortunately I put the C22 on the back burner because I spotted a 2019 West Marine inflatable with 6hp, cover and trailer 20 minutes from my house, and I definitely need that.
Owner says it's the hypalon, but PVC, so if he's right then I'm definitely picking that up today.
Thank you everyone for the great responses! Will post pictures of the dingy!
Supercat568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 22:36   #8

Boat: J/42

When I bought my first keelboat, I still had my Hobie 16. Different boats for different fun. But it turned out that I just didn’t have time for both. Quite often, I still miss the Hobie.
Now I’ve been cruising and living on my second keelboat for a year. Still trying to sell the first one. I still love it. It’s hard.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 13:14   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
When I bought my first keelboat, I still had my Hobie 16. Different boats for different fun. But it turned out that I just didn’t have time for both. Quite often, I still miss the Hobie.
Now I’ve been cruising and living on my second keelboat for a year. Still trying to sell the first one. I still love it. It’s hard.
It's definitely hard switching to cruising boats from beach cats.

These days with the lifting boards it's probably harder.

My last beach cat the predecessor to these in the video (Nacra 17) would sail just 30-35 degrees off the wind whereas my Bristol 27 is at minimum double that.

The word is these boats can hit speeds near 42 knots which is probably why they are wearing helms these days.

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat