Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2023, 12:04   #1

Olympic Sailboats ?

Hello mateys!

I am looking at a 1965 30' Olympian Sailboat and am having a very hard time finding any information or history about the boats, manufacturer etc. If anyone how information they could sure I would truly appreciate it!
Thanks and happy sailing!

Linda
Olympian30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 13:40   #2

Re: Olympic Sailboats ?

Linda:

You may have found this already:

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/olympic-princess/

If this is the boat you are looking at, you will see that it's an utterly conventional 30-footer of its time, i.e. a boat that will give you excellent service as a cruiser.

The basic design concept looks absolutely sound, so all you have to worry about is condition. Most likely, the boat you are looking at is of adequate integrity for coastwise cruising when crewed by an amateur crew consisting of the skipper and one other person. If your plan is to go transoceanic, it is likely that a boat this age would have to have a good deal of "let's do it now, just in case" servicing and upgrade performed before you go.

The specs say that the boat originally came with an "Atomic 4" gasoline engine. It is unlikely that that is what is still in the boat you are looking at, but if it is, it is NOT acceptable. Replacing that engine with, say, a 20HP Beta diesel engine would cost about $15,000.

If you are lucky, your candidate boat will have "hank on" sails including head sails. That is what she would have had when new. If you are less lucky, the boat will have a roller furling headsail, but that can be fairly easily remedied. If luck runs against you, the boat will have an "in mast" furling mainsail. In this last case, you should probably give the boat a pass, although if you are able to give us photos of the furling gear and answer a few questions about it, we may be able to suggest a remedy that will not cost an arm and a leg.

This boat is not very different from TrentePieds which my wife and I have found is perfect for cruising in the Salish Sea.

Bonne chance :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat