Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2022, 11:26   #1

Boat: Friendship 26
Tough and safe family boat

Dear cruisers,

This is my first post, so let me start off with a short intro.
We are a family of 5 with three boys aged 7, 5 and 1.
We are looking to start cruising for a period of time, starting end of 2026 and seeing where it will take us (and for how long). Practically this would mean at least 9 months but possibly up to 5-6 years in a warmer climate.

I have sailed when i was a teenager in the Netherlands but stopped when going to college. Two years ago i felt the itch returning (am 37 now) and i wanted to get out more, most specifically on the water. This was also due to Covid but i appreciated the fact we got to spend so much quality time on the water with our family and this got us thinking: "what if we could do this for a longer period of time?" So: we started to draw up a plan.

- Get all relevant certifications and take lessons to brush up my skills. Same goes for my wife who had previously never sailed. I started with my first certification "klein vaarbewijs 1" and passed the exam. I am now getting into "klein vaarbewijs 2" and will be getting my VHF certifications as well. Not really sure after this part but i suppose it will be something along the lines of lessons for coastal cruising and actually skippering a boat.
- Buy a boat to practice and experience the water and get some miles under our belt. Also: we want the kids to appreciate the life style as well. So: we bought a Friendship 26. Way to small to live on but enough for some nights on the water at anchor and just learning the ropes.
- Set aside money. We are fortunate enough to both have relatively good paying jobs so we are setting aside cash for our travels. This brings me to budget: As it seems now we have a budget between 300-350k EUR (350k + in USD) by end of 2026. Knowing the budget we started looking at boats and fell in love with the idea of multihulls (i know, let me finish) but after a couple of months of browsing, thinking and evaluating the hypothectical budget we have stepped away from that part of the plan.

We are now looking to buy a monohull up to whereabouts of 150k EUR in 2026. For this money we want the boat outfitted for long travels and liveaboard (but not neccesarily ocean crossings, i feel our crew has to little experience (kids and all)). So think: dinghy, solar, possibly a water maker, solid rigging and sails, a reliable diesel and 3-4 cabins (preferably 4 but this is flexible), reliable anchor and chain. The works so to speak. Main reason for the boat-buying and outfitting budget relative to the total budget is we want to have the option to prolong our travels if we want to and we appreciate the fact all boats need (costly) maintenance and upkeep.

But this brings me to our predicament: we have looked, just window shopping obviously so far, at Bavarias, some Dufour, Jeanneau in the range of 42 to 54 feet. Some things we liked, some other things we disliked. Nothing really major so we are still very open for.. everything? But we also realised we know jack **** about blue water cruising for longer periods of time. So we are turning to the internet with the question:

Wanting a safe and realiable (our two utmost priorities) family boat, what other brands (big and small) should we be looking at?

Im being honest: googling didnt really come up with good results so far. We ran into the likes of Hallberg-Rassy but also a lot of discussion about production boats. Honestly, not the most helphul so far. I read we should be looking at boats with protected rudders (non stick rudders) and maybe even steel hulls but my search is turning up quite little and our query seems to be quite niche.

Would someone mind pointing us in the right direction or sharing relevant experiences? It would be most appreciated!
EQJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 15:29   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Tough and safe family boat

You will get a lot of differing opinions about what is the right boat. Everyone has there own preferences.
I would suggest looking at, and ideally sailing as many different models as possible, find what you like.
Then look at those models for sale and see locations that they are for sale in. If that model is widespread globally, well ... They probably got there under sail.
Good luck in the hunt, it is an exciting part of the journey
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 15:30   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

2026 gives you plenty of time to read all the threads, articles, and books about boat selection and come up with your own opinions - because that's what they essentially are- based on your actual experiences sailing. Your question is premature because you don't yet know enough about what to look for and what you want to look for. Three growing boys may cause changes in the things you like every six months. For starters, in four years they will be 11, 9, and 5. Big enough to help with some things, but probably not strong enough to handle equipment on a 50' boat. That means you and your wife will be double-handing it. Except one of you will probably need to be taking care of the kids, so the other of you will end up having to single-hand a 50' boat. My wife and I (with grown children who may or may not sail with us) find that a 40' boat can be quite a handful for the two of us. We have been sailing together for more than forty years, including passages from Tortola to Bermuda and Connecticut. Don't bite off more than you can chew.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 15:48   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Get a boat (and motor) you can easily find parts for.

Stuff is going to break anyway, so might as well get an older boat so you learn close to home.

Get a boat that fits the family activities. My wife said we were getting a sugar scoop transom. Period. Since we are always in and out of the water and dinghy.

I can’t afford a Hallberg. You can. Get one. Of course there are similar options.

Nothing beats experience. Go get it. Don’t wait. Push out of your comfort zone.

When the boys reach 16, if they are 1.8m or taller, always add “gently”. Such as “lift this hatch gently.” Otherwise you’ll get more busted stuff.

Don’t speak Dutch, it hurts those of us who speak English and German, but only one fluently. Listening to Dutch ones brain bounces between two languages trying to equate, and it’s very tiring.

Go sail, Go cruise the coast.
Old 06-02-2022, 15:50   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

psk125 speaks with wisdom. Even with the advances in handling since I sailed seriously (50 years, self tailing winches, roller reefing, manageable spinnakers) a boat over 40 feet gets difficult for a crew of 1 1/2. Consider the smaller catamarans in your search - a 26 ft cat has more space for kiddies than a 40 ft monohull, and the rig is far lighter.

Welcome to the forum, EQJim.
Old 06-02-2022, 15:58   #6

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Have found strong and well designed railings helpful in keeping people aboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaving berth.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	252537  
Old 06-02-2022, 19:24   #7

Boat: Pogo 12.50

Hiya EQ,
Good on you for asking, research is good, but that's a pretty broad paint brush you have there. My idea of the most suitable boat may not even be a close resemblance to yours and you could still call it blue water cruising.
I had 2 x young girls so I opted for the same criteria as you 'safe and reliable'. But I added another, short handed capable.
A good friend went the Hanse 54 route, nice boat and he thinks its the ultimate blue water/coastal boat on the same criteria.
I went with a Pogo 12.50, nice boat and I think its the ultimate blue water/coastal boat for my criteria.
Hmmm...that sounds familiar!
Neither of them are of course, there is always something better! My point is it is all about your individual interpretation, there isn't a singular 'best blue water' cruiser or vendor.
Example, my boat was light on wood cupboards and facades as I wanted good access to the hull for spot checks and damage access and I am not one for dark panelled wood, so it's cabin layout suited me admirably. Another mate has so much dark wood panelling its like stepping into an English pub and he loves it to bits! To be honest, I like it too but only to visit, not to maintain!
I wanted unsinkability and accident survivability, he wanted comfort and room for a fire grate for the wood stove.
You mentioned you have likes and dislikes from what you have seen to date. If you listed either or both, this might help people narrow the field for you a bit.
Cheers!
WK
Whokickamoocow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 19:51   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard EQJim,
I don't know much about European boats, but this site may be helpful:
https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/
and:
https://bluewaterboats.org/

"Tough and safe" covers a lot of territory. I agree too that over 40 feet can be a handful for a green crew.
I wouldn't be shopping for a steel hull, myself. A spade rudder? That's up to you, but many boats are going all over the place with them. If it were me I'd consider it, but if I got a boat with one, I'd have a spare rudder packed too. That's just me.
It is easy to think at first that tough and safe means big and heavy, but I think most would agree that is not necessarily so. There are a number of strongly built ultralight boats I'd love to sail (mostly downwind,) but the boat's motion will be very different from a heavy displacement hull. A couple of important questions too are, where do you want to be sailing and what do you need the boat to do? Like, for example, do you have to have a big stand-up shower?

Good luck in your adventures! The kids are going to love it! My kids do!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 20:47   #9

Boat: Volkscruiser

EQJim, Hallberg Rassy would be a nice yacht for your family. I surveyed a 1978 Hallberg Rassy 41 and was impressed with how good a condition she was in after 44 years afloat. Check out the link below, I highly recommend their book "The Missing Centimeter"
Cheers
https://reginasailing.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (2).jpg
Views:	183
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	252557  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 21:17   #10

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
It is easy to think at first that tough and safe means big and heavy, but I think most would agree that is not necessarily so. There are a number of strongly built ultralight boats I'd love to sail (mostly downwind,)
I agree. In my original boat search I felt I absolutely needed a brick outhouse of a boat. If was buying today I'd simply be looking for a great sailing boat that's well built, and there are lots of solid production boats out there with good track records. How a boat has been cared for throughout it's life means a lot, as well as how it's been outfitted, making it especially hard to generalize between particular types of boats. Besides charter boats, there are no two boats like in any anchorage you'll ever sail into.

As others have said, get the boat that's right for you.

I'm 38 and lived aboard for most of my 20s and 30s. My wife and I had been cruising winters the last few years and now have a 2 month old boy and a house ashore. We'll be back out on the water full time in the next few years, and plan on going back out in the same 27' boat. It may not be the ideal boat for us anymore, but it's the boat we know and love.. though if we had two more boys we'd probably be thinking maybe about something a few feet larger..

Good luck in the search.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 21:20   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You might check out Moody 40 or 42, built prior to 2006, as they changed hands in 2007.

Good reputation, generally. If you are okay with a center cockpit boat, it might suit. The problem for me would be the center cockpit, and also the balsa cored deck means that things retro-fitted, need to have the balsa scooped out and a strong, epoxy coated plywood pad inserted before the fitting is through bolted. If they didn't do that, there are liable to be soft spots in the balsa, where sea water has got in via the fitting. With balsa cores, you have to maintain/replace sealant.

Basically, i think you will be hoping for 3 cabins, and it's not a huge budget to work with. There are some 3 cabin 40 footers. You might start looking there. Do a lot of sailing, and try and get out into the Channel, you'll want ocean experience. What people do is find something they like, and work like heck to make it do, for the least initial expenditure. It's amazing how much adjusting to what you have you can do.

Going with the smallest boat that will meet your needs will save you a lot of $$ over the years. The simplest (least electronic things to go wrong, because they're a when not an if issue) boat that will do you, with an eye towards ease of access to engine for maintenance, and of course, the other systems, too, is of extreme importance. You'll be learning boat yoga.

Ann

PS. If you click on the Search button, and go down the menu to the CF Custom Google search, there are about four threads involving the older Moodys. Enjoy
Old 07-02-2022, 03:56   #12

Thanks for all the good advice everyone.

@PSK125 & Tkeithlu: i'll take into account not going too big of a boat. It is very true most of the time the boat will have to be single handed and also given our limited experience...

@Tetepare: I think it will be hard to answer the question what boats have good availability of parts, but what boats should i avoid? Do you mean like custom builts? Also, what do you mean with not speaking Dutch? Since we intend to teach the kids English and dont expect to bump into too many Dutch people. We understand hardly anyone speaks Dutch, even while so many nautical terms stem from it

@Don_C_L: We will check out these sites!

@Fore and aft: I have ordered "the missing centimeter".

@JPA_cate: I am going to have a look at some Moody information. I agree with the part on electronics. It feels a bit counter intuitive in this day and age, but the less parts you have...
Old 07-02-2022, 05:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whokickamoocow View Post

You mentioned you have likes and dislikes from what you have seen to date. If you listed either or both, this might help people narrow the field for you a bit.
Cheers!
WK
Yes, lets see... please bear with us on our subjectiveness on the matter
We saw a Bavaria 44 (2003). We liked:
+ the cockpit was nice and closed/protected (kids and all)
+ the size
+ the galley and nav station.
We disliked:
- Darker interiour
- old boat smell.

Dufour 50-ish (2014)
+ Nice layout, lots of light
+ again the size
+ nice looking interiour but
- also looking a bit too much like IKEA quality. Tough looking, it wasn't.
- open cockpit

Jeanneau Sun Ody 54 (2010)
More or less the same as the Dufour. Light and nice looking but also a bit more 'flimsy' looking.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:57   #14

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

Don't dismiss a 40 - 45 cat. Plenty of room, stable at anchor and on the ocean.
Just have a look how many people have gone from a mono to a cat, and how many from a cat to a mono!
We are live on board cruisers and have been sailing 10 years on a Passport 42 mono and 8 years on a Mumby 48 cat. Sailed 55 000 nm in the cat and about 40 000 on the mono.
The Passport was a great boat, but would I go back to a Mono, No way!
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:22   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Tough and safe family boat

My advice buy a modern 2015 plus mainstream European production boat. Spares and knowledge readily available and with little prep you are ready to go. Don’t worry about ocean crossing , go sailing

Old boats have tired equipment , I have a friend redoing a HR , he’s spending a fortune replacing systems. A Bavaria harken winch is the same as a HR Harken winch except Bavaria will buy it at half the price of HR.

the purchase price is the least of your worries.

Any production production boat 45 foot and up will take you anywhere you want to go , except some crazy latitudes. You can prep these boats as needed for long voyages if that becomes “ your thing” you may also find it does not become your thing , one can spend a decade sailing the med !

One thing CATS in the med are increasingly attracting high differential berthing charges , this is only going one way

Tags
boat, family