Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2011, 20:42   #1

Alberg 30 vs. Triton vs. Ocean Voyager 26vs???

I know there has been much talk on the forum in recent past about small boat voyaging. We are looking a the above boats for cruising and passagmaking in a simple manner. I realize that there are limitations on size and stuff you can bring aboard, and there are people here that will insist that you need a 40 plus to do it in. I was looking for comments about sailing ability, and livibility on the boats. I would be looking for any of the above in a project boat condition, so the build will be essentially new. We just sold our Flicka 20, and are looking for something a tad bigger and faster. Any comments or suggestions here? Thanks
atmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 21:08   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: Alberg 30 vs. Triton vs. Ocean Voyager 26vs???

I would add the Bayfield 29 to your search.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 22:02   #3

Checkout Bluewaterboats .org they have some good info. I keep dreaming about the next upgrade.
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 23:18   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

What's your budget to buy and outfit?
How many people?
Where are you?
Where do you want to go?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:20   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmarine View Post
I know there has been much talk on the forum in recent past about small boat voyaging. We are looking a the above boats for cruising and passagmaking in a simple manner. I realize that there are limitations on size and stuff you can bring aboard, and there are people here that will insist that you need a 40 plus to do it in. I was looking for comments about sailing ability, and livibility on the boats. I would be looking for any of the above in a project boat condition, so the build will be essentially new. We just sold our Flicka 20, and are looking for something a tad bigger and faster. Any comments or suggestions here? Thanks
Why? If you are planning on putting enough money into that old of a boat to bring it back to new why not just buy something used and in cruising condition already? You will save a lot of time and money.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:14   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
Checkout Bluewaterboats .org they have some good info. I keep dreaming about the next upgrade.
The view from the Armchair strikes again!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post492390

IMO one of the better Newbe / first boat threads - 1) Lots of good advice 2) a happy ending! (boat purchased - a very pretty one ) 3) and the OP didn't dissapear half way through the thread!

Be interesting to hear a bit about how the last year of ownership went - particularly on expectations vs the reality (pros and cons)........and how suitable your first boat purchase was (for you).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:24   #7

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Bristol 30 (Hood design), Bristol 32 (also Hood), Cheoy Lee Luders 30, Cheoy Lee Offshore 28 (Luders design), Cheoy Lee Offshore 31 ketch (Herreshoff design), Niagara 28, Cape Dory 25D, Albin Vega 27, Cal 2-29 (Lapworth design), Cape Dory 30 (Arlberg), Rawson 30, Sea Sprite 28 (another Luders design), Bristol 29.9 (another Herreshoff design).

Why limit yourself? There were a ton of good cruising designs in the 25-32 foot range in the years between 1965 and 1985, and many of these boats can be obtained now at bargain prices. I guess people must have been smaller in those days.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:37   #8

Boat: contessa 32

O.K. : First ,I have to agree with Doodles here;better/cheaper would be to find something more ready to go. Realistically there will be plenty of "upgrades " you will want in any boat that is "ready to go".
If you want something a tad bigger than your Flicka that is easy to get in 30 feet.
Oh, but you want faster too? That shouldn't be harder either,but for the voyaging you envision carrying stores and longer time living aboard this requires your waterline and performance will suffer much more at 30 feet than at 40feet (only the wallet suffers more)
It seem to me that in this market you can find some well thought out craft in good used condition that are "ready to go" and priced well;just do your homework and bargain hard.
You write "we", so I assume you are a couple so space may trump speed,if you are attracted to the Triton,consider a Contessa 32 (performance,pedigree ,and larger but still on the smaller size with a 24' waterline; great single-handers boat, but nowadays I think my wife would not stay long without some of the creature comforts that land life affords or she knows is available in the larger sizes.
Answer the questions posed in #4 post, and there are many here who can get you underway.Good Luck
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:03   #9

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

I suggest you visit Atomvoyages.com. Lots of great info on voyaging on small boats , specifically the Pearson Trition. He has also modified several others including the Alberg 30 for voyaging. there are many great sailboat designs that will take you anywhere you want to go. I follow a couple on youtube that cruise and live aboard an Albin Vega 27. There is another vega 27 currently circumnavigating the americas and is approaching Cape Horn soon. Also check out sailfar.net, great site for people cruising on small boats.

Having said that, I am partial to the Alberg designs. To me they fit my sailing style, very steady and solid and simple. my alberg 30 is a bit tender to about 15 degrees and is pretty solid after that.

Alot of people will frown on the older boats because they are slow and yes, always need work. my take on it is this, i bought a boat that i could afford, no payments. overtime i will chance modify and upgrade as time and money allows(another reason i love the alberg designs). I will give you my example.
I bought my Alberg 30 for $4800 bux and sailed her home 200+ miles. During the summer I sailed her and figured out what was needed. even took a few weekend cruises. During the sailing season I upgraded the running rigging to 3/8 sta-set for approx $600 for all lines. I am now in the process of refitting the V-berth and redoing the standing rigging including chainplates on the boat. I purchased all the standing rigging material as i will do it myself, cost was $1480 for all new turnbuckles, toggles, sta-loc fittings, wire, clevis pins and chainplate material. All total I will have about $8000 and my boat will be pretty solid. there are other issues that need to addressed but i will have a very solid boat for very little investment. yes my time is worth money but i enjoy the work...most of the time. and most importantly I am learning the ins and outs of my boat, which is essential for cruising.

I met a young guy and his girlfriend this summer at our marina, they said they came into 10k, they got sick of new england and wanted freedom, so they bought a bristol 27 for $500 put 6000 into the boat and was using the rest of the money to head south cruising......how can you beat that!

Good Luck on whatever boat you choose and remember this is the internet you'll get 1000 different opinions especially on this topic. Decide whats best for you and roll with it. You wont believe how much satisfaction you will get from doing a job right and repairing upgrading YOUR boat yourself.
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:05   #10

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
O.K. : First ,I have to agree with Doodles here;better/cheaper would be to find something more ready to go. Realistically there will be plenty of "upgrades " you will want in any boat that is "ready to go".
If you want something a tad bigger than your Flicka that is easy to get in 30 feet.
Oh, but you want faster too? That shouldn't be harder either,but for the voyaging you envision carrying stores and longer time living aboard this requires your waterline and performance will suffer much more at 30 feet than at 40feet (only the wallet suffers more)
It seem to me that in this market you can find some well thought out craft in good used condition that are "ready to go" and priced well;just do your homework and bargain hard.
You write "we", so I assume you are a couple so space may trump speed,if you are attracted to the Triton,consider a Contessa 32 (performance,pedigree ,and larger but still on the smaller size with a 24' waterline; great single-handers boat, but nowadays I think my wife would not stay long without some of the creature comforts that land life affords or she knows is available in the larger sizes.
Answer the questions posed in #4 post, and there are many here who can get you underway.Good Luck
Also you should take a look at the Allied Seawind and Seawind II.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:38   #11

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Why? If you are planning on putting enough money into that old of a boat to bring it back to new why not just buy something used and in cruising condition already? You will save a lot of time and money.
Sometimes you can't. When I bought my 1962 Pearson Triton for 500.00, that's about all the money I had at the time. And I didn't want to take out a boat loan. I put money into the boat as I was able to. Now I have a boat that can take me around the world. It's true I would never get the money I have put into the boat out of it if I sold her, but I never plan on selling her so that's not an issue. There is also the satisfaction of knowing that all of the work has been done to my standards (I did it all) and everything is exactly how I want it.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:45   #12

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
yup, the seawind is the triton and alberg 30's bigger cousin... 30' loa, 24 lwl, 12000lbs yes please!
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:56   #13

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
The Seawind II will seem huge as compared to most of these other boats, but you are unlikely to find one for under $10,000.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:28   #14

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318

Sometimes you can't. When I bought my 1962 Pearson Triton for 500.00, that's about all the money I had at the time. And I didn't want to take out a boat loan. I put money into the boat as I was able to. Now I have a boat that can take me around the world. It's true I would never get the money I have put into the boat out of it if I sold her, but I never plan on selling her so that's not an issue. There is also the satisfaction of knowing that all of the work has been done to my standards (I did it all) and everything is exactly how I want it.
Sure you can. Instead of putting the money into a project boat piece by piece you just save it up until you find something more ready to go. Still cheaper ... IMO.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:00   #15

In the 90s I did a lot of deliveries up and down the west coast, and the one boat that stands out in my memory was an Allied Seawind. I took it from Cabo San Lucas to San Francisco and was very impressed with its motion at sea. It was mostly a motor sail north(many deliveries are) but the comfort level was much above the many Catalinas, Cals etc. that I had done. I would say the Seawind is a good boat to consider. ___My 2 cents worth.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 30