Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2018, 21:13   #1
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45
Thoughts on Wauquiez 41 Pilot Saloon

We are casually looking to upgrade our beloved Catalina 320 to do more coastal cruising and maybe a bit of offshore: Up and down the California coast, maybe down to Mexico or up to Alaska (Ms. is from Alaska) and/or to Hawaii and back. We both work full time in San Francisco Bay Area, so we can only do this in legs of 2 to 3 weeks max. Catalina 320 is lovely for what she is in and around San Francisco Bay but not really suitable for these longer legs.

Anyway, long story short, we came across a Wauquiez 41 Pilot Saloon from 2006, which looks pretty nice. I am familiar with the older Wauquiez models, like Pretorien and Gladiator and I am aware they are well respected boats. Pretorien even makes it to Kretschmer's "Sailboats For A Serious Ocean" list, and Kretschmer is one of my favorite authors when it comes to sailing books. But I couldn't find much about the 41 PS. Looks like only 38 of them were built and Wauquiez is now owned by Beneteau.

Anyone knows how good these boats are? What is the production quality, sailing characteristics etc? Would you trust them to take offshore?
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 21:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Thoughts on Wauquiez 41 Pilot Saloon

Howdy.

I had my eyes on the older Wauquiez 45 PH design, which I like very much.

There are some things I like about the 41 PS design, and some things that made me pause (and wonder if I would like it for liveaboard).

I generally like the raised saloon (with table and seating) of a PH type boat, and the light and view that affords. A pilot house (or raised saloon) can be a very nice place to be at times.

Good luck on your decision. I hope you find the following helpful. I will include some links below and a few facts for others to consider.

The 41PS has been discussed here on CF before. Here is a link to that discussion.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1320092

Also see this thread where I mentioned a 41PS owner member of CF (he could answer your question if you send him a PM).
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-153092.html

The 41PS was reviewed in Cruising World. (Note they only had 5 knots of wind so really did not sail it.)

https://www.cruisingworld.com/sailbo...n-41-room-view

Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 41 Specs

LOA (hull): 41' 0" (12.50 m.)
LWL: 36' 1" (11.00 m.)
Beam: 13' 3" (4.04 m.)
Draft (standard): 5' 9" (1.80 m.)
Sail Area (100%): 687 sq. ft. (63.8 sq. m.)
Displacement: 22,050 lb. (10,000 kg.)
Water: 116 gal. (440 l.)
Fuel: 58 gal. (220 l.)
Engine: 54-hp. Yanmar
Designer: Berret Racoupeau
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 06:39   #3

Boat: ask the judges!

Hi!

We also was looking for Wauquiez. We had the chance to sail the new PS42. Build quality is outstandig and there is even not one flaw after checking the boat really intensively.
Sailing with the 12 tons wasn‘t that good. Need lots of wind. Very stable but not agile. We had 4+ Bft and it felt like everyone was faster. Like a desingner tank ;-). The PS42 is no longer on our list. We want that quality but we also want a good speed. Not a racer but I expect 8 knots upwind as a minimum for a 42.
Linguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 10:09   #4
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguini View Post
Hi!
Sailing with the 12 tons wasn‘t that good. Need lots of wind. Very stable but not agile. We had 4+ Bft and it felt like everyone was faster. Like a desingner tank ;-). The PS42 is no longer on our list. We want that quality but we also want a good speed. Not a racer but I expect 8 knots upwind as a minimum for a 42.
Thanks Linguini. We are never short of winds (25-35 knots every single day in the summer) in San Francisco but I agree some decent speed in lesser winds is important.

BTW, do you happen to know what kind of keel those have? Also is the rudder skegged? I couldn't find information on those.
Old 24-09-2018, 09:26   #5

Hi!

Can only trll you about the PS42. Was a 2 or 2.15 Deep Keel.

But I remember the Bay with absolutely no wind twice :-( when we‘ve been on boats at events. So if you have wind, the build quality of the Wauquiez boats is outstandig. Plus cool interior design. And the people from Wauquiez are real friendly guys.

Hope you make your decision. And next time sailing the Bay I will ask you for wind :-). Cheers!
Old 24-09-2018, 12:13   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

@ Tenedos:

I have some more or less intimate know how about this boat. I helped getting one outfitted for what was to be an extended ocean voyage (multi-yer sabbatical).

If you are out and out serious about out and out sea voyaging, see this boat as just another sample of otherwise fine boats of her era. Neither better nor worse than a similar Bene, Bava, Jeann, etc. etc.

Capable. Just far from perfection, given extended sea going.

You can ask again here or else via a pm, if you are interested in any specific details.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 10:42   #7

you see a wauquiez on the same (low) level as Bavaria or Jeanneau? I can not believe this. No way to compare the build quaility. Wauquiez is part of Beneteau. The quality section. We‘ve been to the Wauquiez yard and totaly different built quality. Would be interested in your details. Why don‘t share it to the community?
Old 26-09-2018, 09:56   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguini View Post
you see a wauquiez on the same (low) level as Bavaria or Jeanneau? I can not believe this. No way to compare the build quaility. Wauquiez is part of Beneteau. The quality section. We‘ve been to the Wauquiez yard and totaly different built quality. Would be interested in your details. Why don‘t share it to the community?

With all respect, please do not put words into my mouth. It is you who used the words "low level". I actually said "fine boats".

As stated in my post, my details are available to the OP, should OP find they want such information.

If you want an arena to show your opinion is better than mine or anybody else's, start a separate thread.

As you noted, Waquiez is part of Bene. Bene was the first brand I named in my comparison line. Which you edited so that it sounds now that Jean or Bava are low quality boats. And you are implying I said that.

I am happy that you liked Waquiez. I liked this company too when they made boats like Centurion. Things change and globalisation takes its toll on all industries.

I live in Las Palmas where I devote some of my time to supporting/preparing boats that pass thru our port on their way towards the West Indies, when I am not sailing the circuit myself (which is is roughly every other year).

If you are sailing thru Las Palmas any time soon, I invite you to my boat and I will be happy to swap opinions on boat makes and their perceived merits and shortcomings. Get ready for a long and enjoyable evening.

Regards,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 10:33   #9

sorry, it was not my intend to paint a wrong picture. But I never would compare Wauquiez to one of the three. Total different quality. I would compare older Wauquiez to older Ben, Jan or Bav and newer to newer and I think we will have the same gap in quality.

The OP asked about Wauquiez quality. I know the PS42 and all I can say, the build quality of the PS 42 is superb. But! it is a new Boat! No glassbowl. Just what we havee seen within production process and while sailing. Quality! But a sluggishly boat.

And again. Sorry fir the low in brakets!
Old 26-09-2018, 10:38   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 47.7

I wanted to clarify a few things in this thread.
1) Wauquiez is not any part of Beneteau. Beneteau bought Wauquiez after HW's death, but the employees bought it back. It's been an independent boat manufacturer for over a decade.
2) I don't think anyone can dispute the fact they make a "step above" product. I've had experience sailing and working on a few of these boats, as well as being a six-year owner of a Centurion 47.
Are these boats perfect? No. But most definitely a step above most mass-produced production boat builders. Think about it: They built 53 Centurion 47s over a six-year period. HunterBentAlina, et al, builds 53 a year of their popular boats (give or take).
RobTryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 16:27   #11

Boat: Pogo 10,50

A few additional corrections:
1) Wauquiez is part of the Expertô-Revollier group which owns high quality brands like latitude46 and now Rhéa marine
2) I would rather say Ben, Jean and Bav build at least 150 boats a year of each popular model, considering that even catamarans get out at 100 hulls/year
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 10:51   #12

Jeanneau has built 110 of the 44DS since 2013.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 20:24   #13

Boat: Pogo 10,50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison146 View Post
Jeanneau has built 110 of the 44DS since 2013.

The 44DS is an owner's boat, far from a mainstream popular (charterable) model. The reason it exists is only because it's effectively a SO449 with a different deck making it cheaper to develop.
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 20:06   #14
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you all. So the boat I am looking at is a Wauquiez 41 from 2006. Anybody knows which manufacturer built these boats in 2006?
Old 30-09-2018, 20:09   #15
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
@ Tenedos:

I have some more or less intimate know how about this boat. I helped getting one outfitted for what was to be an extended ocean voyage (multi-yer sabbatical).
Capable. Just far from perfection, given extended sea going.
Thank you barnakiel! Did they do it? Any idea about what their overall experience was? We have the same idea for some time in the future, so seems close enough.

In terms of limitations for ocean trips, anything specific to highlight?

Thanks much.

Tags
saloon