Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2015, 12:04   #1

WAUQUIEZ PILOT SALOON 41

Hi folks,

First post here, although have been a lurker for many years. First want to thank all here, even those that will never see this post, as I have learned a lot here.

Looking to buy soon, and have been and continue to narrow my decision of which boat. I know, what's new, right.... My plan would be to keep it in S. Maryland for about a year while I update and get to know what will effectively become my home for some years to come (free dock for me at families home in St. Mary's). After that south bound for a short season in the Caribbean then through Canal and spend some time in Panama, making any changes, outfitting and headed to where I really want to go, S. Pacific. From there, if I ever leave, don't know.

Although very much like the multi's, and why wouldn't you, I think for my plan, where despite crew on board, I want something that can be singlehanded if and when that may come up. I also want something that is comfortable with room for the typical two folks. I'm leaning toward mono for above reasons, and others as well. Size of at or about 40' is the target. The thing that has always bugged me about mono's and a big reason I typically drool over the multi's is the cave like existence below.

Finally then the reason for this post. I am very intrigued with the Wauquiez Pilot Saloon boats, specifically the 41 or perhaps the 46. I can find nothing being discussed anywhere on these boats, other than the typical fluff in some sailing rags, which may or may not be accurate as they were very complimentary. I love the idea of the raised saloon, like a cat, with the staterooms below. I'm hoping someone who has been on one, sailed one, might let me know what they think. Would love to get on one, but there are virtually none in the mid-Atlantic region, and closest one I think right now is Florida. I'd go, but really want to talk to some folks before I do that. Also like others from the Wauquiez stable, and the Amel's (like the hard dodger of those), but the Pilot Saloon really has me interested. High free board a concern, but not a deal breaker for me either. I may go with something else, but hope anyone with anything to offer, concerns this, might help me out.
Thanks again !!
Keith
keithhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 08:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: WAUQUIEZ PILOT SALOON 41

Howdy.

Nice intro post. Sounds like a nice plan.

I too like the Waquiez line of boats.

One of the CF members whose profile indicates a Waquiez Pilot Saloon boat is HAPPYMDRSAILOR. I suggest you send him a PM and ask if he will post some comments in this thread.

Regarding this type of boat and freeboard or windage, because of the pilot saloon design, I would not be too concerned with that, especially when you look at most cats in comparison.

Another line of boats that has similar raised salon is Nauticat. Check those out too. Just be aware there are many variations in their styling, with some in a traditional motorsailor style pilot house and others more like pilot saloon.

Good luck on your boat search!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 08:35   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

ON IT!

Sending you a PM with my email addy keith!

No time to post today... but later...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 10:57   #4

Steady,

Thanks so much for the reply. I was beginning to think my first post was going to languish in the "nobody is ever going to answer this never-never land" of forums. Either that or I inadvertently typed in invisible electrons, which I'm prone to do from time to time.

Happy, thank you as well and I did receive your PM, and replied in kind via email.
Old 20-09-2015, 22:34   #5

Boat: Huon 33

Hi Keith, I too am looking at Waquiez, predominantly because the Missus likes Deck saloon style yachts..... and they look great, but I have just started looking at the Bavaria "vision" series, and they look even better!!...... let me know what you think.....

2007 Bavaria 44 Vision Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -
Gi-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 07:00   #6

Hi Gi-Lo
Well since you asked, I will give you my opinion, which is much like hand grenades, and everyone has one. With that said....

Bavaria is a bit of an eclectic bunch, making pretty much anything that floats and they can sell from power boats to cats and monos. They have a reputation of being cheap built and of average to poor fit and finish. That from not my personal experience, but rather many owners with some saying they would never buy one again. That is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Here is but one thread on them: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...chts-8900.html

So, why do people buy them? My guess is that because they build cheap, they can sell them very cheap too. For many people, this might be the best way into the boat with a size/style they want. An intro boat if you will.

I saw your other thread on the topic, and nowhere do you mention your intended use for the boat. That would help people give hand-grenades err opinions on use. I think for a coastal boat, it would be OK. I don't think I would want to subject one to off shore.....

Now, I'm sure people will come along and tell me that lots of folks are doing just that, and circumnavigations too. Fine, they can do as they please. People have done so in modified bathtubs too, but I don't plan to. I have not owned one, nor have I sailed one. I would seek answers from those that do, particularly owners.

Now the bright side. The Wauquiez in the size range I would consider (48,43,41 and 40) were made in small numbers and are going to be difficult to find. In fact of those 4 models only about 225 were ever made, not including Happy's 48 which was a preproduction custom for an owner of Wauquiez or some high muck-muck. On the other hand, the Bavaria's are available in huge numbers, primarily because of their cookie cutter approach I suspect, and can be had inexpensively. Inexpensive admittedly being a very subjective term, so you would need to judge for yourself.

Again, just my opinion.........BOOM
Old 29-04-2017, 19:28   #7
D2D

Boat: Boatless for Now; former owner of a Robertson & Caine Leopard 47

Hello HappyMdRSailor,

Would you mind posting here or by PM the detailed pros and cons of the Wauquiez from your experience? Would love to hear them.

Thank you.
D2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 13:50   #8
D2D

Boat: Boatless for Now; former owner of a Robertson & Caine Leopard 47

Hello to all Wauquiez owners.

We wish to read more feedback on the Wauquiez pilot saloon (41 & 48) with in mind, coastal & ocean sailing & live aboard lifestyle.

Thank you in advance,
D2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 15:20   #9

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

First Mate and I looked closely at a Warquiez pilot house 41 before choosing an Island Packet SP Cruiser.

It was a close call-both are splendid boats. The shallow draught of the IP was a plus-but it will never sail as well as the Warquiez.

In the end, realisation that our bodies are wearing out meant that the IP's modest rig, electric winch, self tacking foresail gives us an easier time.

For more physically able younger sailors the Warquiez is a very good choice.

We both thought the quality was first rate.
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saloon