Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2019, 17:22   #1

Thoughts on the Island Packet 29?

Hey guys!

We are knee deep in our boat search. We are looking to get something under 60k. We originally thought a beneteau but have now seen three with extensive gel creasing and ever a few holes in the gel coat! This has kind of turned me off to the beneteau. I enjoy the catalina 32s and 35s but have recently heard really good things about the island packet!

My husband and I are looking for something to take out on the weekends and cruise around the east coast, Nova Scotia, The Carribean, Mexico etc. With out few months we get off each year. We are thinking this boat will be ours for about 5 years until we have time to upgrade.

So would the Island Packet 29 be good for this kind of cruising or is a beneteau or catalina better?

Also open to suggestions for other boats under 60k! Thanks!
Curtinjulianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 17:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Thoughts on the Island Packet 29?

An IP 29 is a small boat. I’d think you could get one well under $60K.
To be honest for that budget I think I’d be looking at mid 30’s boats, IP’s included.
A 29 will be small and just due to its size, slow. If you know that going in and are fine with that then it’s a fine choice, but I’m partial to IP’s.
They seem to particularly shine in shallow draft, tropical areas.

We bought our old IP as a starter boat, but then decided that there was nothing wrong with it. I had intended to go newer and larger, but did not look forward to all the pain of searching for another boat/
So I’d say maybe look a little larger, cause it may be all you decide you need or want.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 17:45   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Thoughts on the Island Packet 29?

I think you should keep looking at different boats and work out what you want. An IP is a very different creature from a Beneteau or Catalina, and buyers wouldn't normally be looking at both.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 18:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
I think you should keep looking at different boats and work out what you want. An IP is a very different creature from a Beneteau or Catalina, and buyers wouldn't normally be looking at both.
I agree! I have always wanted a very capable boat more than anything but I just thought my price point and wanting it to be post 1990s had me locked in to a bene or cat.
Curtinjulianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 18:15   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the 29 is a little boat that thinks it is a big boat. easy to handle and heavy enough to stand up to weather. the 32 might be worth looking at if you can find one in decent condition. pay attention to things that need to be maintained on older boats like tanks and sails and rigging.
Old 29-08-2019, 02:50   #6

Here's an IP 32 I stumbled upon a few months back... Of course, you'd have to sail her to the East Coast via Panama Canal. Could be a bucket list experience!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...dard%20listing

Warmly,
LittleWing

p.s. Avoid Beneteaus. Their construction methods have only diminished and cost-cutting shortcuts only increased since the 90's. (I used to do offshore deliveries of new benes from 1994-2000 and they were poorly made back then.)
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 08:50   #7

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Any Island Packet built before 1997 has integral chainplates made of T304 stainless steel that must be replaced. My 1990 IP35 dismasted due to crevice corrosion in one of these chainplates, and it was extremely expensive to rebuild the rig (which was lost overboard at sea). Because these chainplates are glassed into the interior of the hull sides and covered with liners and cabinetry, replacing them is invasive, destructive and expensive. I love the looks of the IP29, but the chainplate issue is a dealbreaker for me with those boats.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 09:03   #8

Boat: Pearson 303

IP's are great boats and I believe the beam on the 29 is 10 feet. I have a Pearson 303 which has an 11 foot beam and I find it very comfortable down below. I was serious about an IP 31, 11 foot beam, but the owner was very, very proud of his IP and we couldn't come to a price point. I am in the SF bay and the 4.5 draft and length of the 303 is perfect and it works well on coast cruising.

The IP has a full keel as opposed to the other boats but I certainly would choose an IP over a Catilina for your sailing adventures. If you can live with a 10 foot beam, great, but I would recommend looking at a IP 31 as the prices seem to be the same or not much more that a 29.

Good luck!
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 10:06   #9

Boat: Island Packet 420

I currently own my second IP. I did not start out looking for one, I put down my requirements for a boat and started looking and the only one that really fit my criteria was the IP. They are safe boats, they are easy to sail, great for the Bahamas due to their shoal draft, and designed for off-shore sailing. I single hand and live aboard my 420. I am not sure I could live with another person on a 29, so if your budget permits, I would go a little bit bigger. Do your homework regarding tankage and chain plates- many owners have already done that replacement and you can probably find a boat that won't require those items. They are great boats. I sailed a 37 up and down the East Coast for several years- to the tip of Cape Cod to the Bahamas, several times to those places, and twice to Bermuda. Often single-handing to the Bahamas. When I decided to get a slightly bigger boat for living aboard, I again looked several different boats of similar length and displacement and opted for another IP.

If you can, go charter and sail one.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 10:13   #10

Hello Julianna, and welcome here :-)

You say: " would the Island Packet 29 be good for this kind of cruising or is a beneteau or catalina better?"

That sort of question can lead to a lot of spinning of the intellectual wheels, and to a lot of waste of money. The reason for that is that in "serious" cruising, which it sounds as if you are not going to be doing for a while yet, it is the ENTITY comprising boat AND skipper, that is the determinant of success - not the boat alone. Modern "cruising" boats are much of a muchness. They are a really a "commodity". In the hands of a competent skipper one will do as well as another.

You say: “cruise around the east coast, Nova Scotia, The Carribean, Mexico etc.”

Messing about around McNab's Island or in the Bay of Fundy is not the same as messing about in the Virgin Islands. Crossing Cabot Strait from Dingwall to Port aux Basques is not the same as passing from Fort Lauderdale to Freeport. The ruling conditions of wind and wave that obtain in those locations are reflected in the basic design parameters of boats that are native to the particular waters. You can certainly do such things in boats of other design idioms. I'm merely making the point that your selection of boat should be made on the basis of a FIRM idea of WHERE you want to sail the boat.

Take TrentePieds – she has a “Sail Area to Displacement Ratio" (SA/D) of a mere 13.5. That's appropriate for crossing oceans. Where I sail, in Georgia Straits, (B.C), that is WAY to little! In the summer months, on a day like today, I would have TWICE that if I had my druthers. But to get that much sail onto a 25 foot waterline would require that the rig be an old-fashioned gaffsail cutter rig complete with gaff topsail. I flatter myself that I could single-hand such a rig safely, but letting a novice go to sea with such a rig would likely lead to drownded people!

So my counsel to you is to define WHERE you are going to sail and WHAT your sailing experience is at this time. Remember that a 29-footer of the kind you suggest has a “hull speed” (maximum speed) of 6 knots or thereabouts. Disregarding the effect of tide (which, of course, you cannot to in the Bay of Fundy), you will find that going 50 miles is a LONG hard day's work. Bear that in mind when you dream about, and plan, your voyages :-)!

The IP29 is a small boat. Trentepieds is 30 feet and is a “small” boat, but feels bigger below decks than will the IP29 because TP is a “pilot house” vessel, i.e. has a tallish deck house with lotsa lovely big windows. In other words, she is not the sort of boat you'd take out on the Grand Banks :-) She will also feel bigger because she has only two berths (plus a convertible dinette, of course) rather than the miserable double quarter berth that was a “selling feature” in the IP29s. The designer having “caved” to the builder's demand for a quarter berth has imposed a design compromise on the IP29's hull form that will make her less agile than TP, and Lord knows that TP could do with some more in that department :-)

The IP was/is wheel steered (as is TP) as I recall. Daft idea! We've just yesterday had a discussion in this forum about the relative merits of wheel-steering and tiller steering. It would be worth your while to find it and read it.

But that's enuff for now. You will see that the question you asked, apparently simple though it be, is NOT amenable to a simple answer. But don't worry about that. You haven't committed to a purchase yet, I gather. So keep looking, keep thinking, keep analysing, keep dreaming. But most of all – keep coming back here to test the conclusions you think you may have reached. The “old hands” here will help you in every way they can by acting a foils for your thoughts :-)

All the best.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 10:14   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
Any Island Packet built before 1997 has integral chainplates made of T304 stainless steel that must be replaced. My 1990 IP35 dismasted due to crevice corrosion in one of these chainplates, and it was extremely expensive to rebuild the rig (which was lost overboard at sea). Because these chainplates are glassed into the interior of the hull sides and covered with liners and cabinetry, replacing them is invasive, destructive and expensive. I love the looks of the IP29, but the chainplate issue is a dealbreaker for me with those boats.

Thanks for chiming in. In addition to the problem with the chainplates .. IP also covered the fuel tank with a fiberglass floor which must be cut out when the tank needs to be replaced. This became a deal breaker for me as well
Old 29-08-2019, 10:14   #12

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtinjulianna View Post
Hey guys!

We are knee deep in our boat search. We are looking to get something under 60k. We originally thought a beneteau but have now seen three with extensive gel creasing and ever a few holes in the gel coat! This has kind of turned me off to the beneteau. I enjoy the catalina 32s and 35s but have recently heard really good things about the island packet!

My husband and I are looking for something to take out on the weekends and cruise around the east coast, Nova Scotia, The Carribean, Mexico etc. With out few months we get off each year. We are thinking this boat will be ours for about 5 years until we have time to upgrade.

So would the Island Packet 29 be good for this kind of cruising or is a beneteau or catalina better?

Also open to suggestions for other boats under 60k! Thanks!

Pay close attention to the chain plates on all the standing rigging! IP encapsulated the stainless chain plates in fiberglass. There have been quite a few chain plate failures due to corrosion. They are not easily inspected! IP has a retro fit program on the chain plates but I understand it's not inexpensive!

I would contact IP and discuss this issue before I put any money down.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 11:25   #13

Hi. I am an owner of an 1993 IP 32. I love the boat. Here are just some bullet points based on my experience.
1. A 27 seems small for 2 people. My 32 is just big enough and I solo.
2. It’s a very steady boat. But under 6 knots won’t get you going very fast. I’ve been caught in a tropical storm in the gulf and the boat was a rock.
3. Chain plates. I have not changed mine. I have not sailed it much but so far no problem. I was told and I think it’s good advice, for costal cruising I would not immediately deal with chain plates. Going further out I would make the replace decision. You have 2 choices since you can’t really inspect plates 1) Replace from the inside. 2). Add external plates. I would take the second option. Some folks say it’s not as pretty but it’s half price. Replacing from inside is $10000 - &15000. I’ve checked. Since my boat is in Florida not far from the factory, I asked about their refit. Maybe yes or maybe no depending on their schedule.
4. Check the hull very carefully. You do it. Don’t rely on surveyors - they are useless in my opinion. I’m currently adding structure supports due to some hull flexing. Very expense.
5. Stern in to the slip. Very difficult at least for me solo. I frankly won’t accept a stern in slip. Full keel, prop wash up the wazzo.
6. Check you tube ‘Salty Abandon’ sails a 27 in the gulf. She’s is a good source.
7. Equipment. Try to get boat equipped the way you need. Expensive to upgrade.
8. All that being said, I really like my boat. I not particularly fond of production boats.
Good luck.
Handsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 12:02   #14

Boat: 1986 Catalina 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtinjulianna View Post
I agree! I have always wanted a very capable boat more than anything but I just thought my price point and wanting it to be post 1990s had me locked in to a bene or cat.
I have a Catalina 34’ and love it! Very roomy interior for its size. You may want to check one out.
ahumbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 12:24   #15

I think it's a good choice but I would go the 32 ft, and it should be well within your budget anyway.
The Bene and Cat are fun boats but not near as sturdy.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet