Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2010, 08:29   #16

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
We have a IOR-era boat which my wife and I love and which we find very stable and comfortable.
But as has been pointed out, these boats were designed to sail at a 20-25 degree angle of heel for optimum performance. If you're not used to it it can seem like the boat is sailing on its side. If that bothers you than you should look at a different type of boat.
If it doesn't, Tartans of that era were very well-made boats and the S&S design IMHO is make for a very good looking vessel.
BTW if you get an IOR-design boat, make sure your lockers have good strong latches and every thing gets properly stowed otherwise you'll be cleaning messes forever

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 10:37   #17

Boat: Pearson 10M
Good discussion on the IOR boats and their cruise-worthiness. In that context what would you guys think about a 198x Oyster 43 IOR hull when it comes to cruising. I have heard a bit about the difficulty with the runners of the frac rig. However would love to hear from you all (especially delmarrey and u4ea32).
msoneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 22:42   #18

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by msoneji View Post
Good discussion on the IOR boats and their cruise-worthiness. In that context what would you guys think about a 198x Oyster 43 IOR hull when it comes to cruising. I have heard a bit about the difficulty with the runners of the frac rig. However would love to hear from you all (especially delmarrey and u4ea32).
My IOR 1-tonner (40') has the dreaded runners and checkstays. And, as you correctly surmise, it does make short-handed cruising more difficult.

At this stage we have to "make do", which usually means tacking rather than jibing, when 2-up (helmsman steers boat through the tack, releases the windward jib sheet, and starts too pull in the new jib sheet, crew pulls main sheet to centre main, pulls new runner on, tacks main, releases old runner).

Our plan is to (a) shorten the boom by about 4 inchest, (b) get a mainsail cut so that at full hoist it goes to just below the hounds (where the runners attach to the mast), (c) make the checkstays detachable, so that we can remove the checkstays except when needed (i.e. not a lot, when cruising), which will allow us to tack and jibe this crusing mainsail inside the runners, with both runners cranked on all the time. This will mean that we dont need to touch the runners, so helmsman can tack or jibe the main and crew can tack the headsail.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 22:56   #19

Boat: Tartan T4400
There is a ery active roup of tartan owners on Yahoo. Search tartan sailing in yahoo groups.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote