Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2009, 21:55   #1

Tartan 37 CCR

Hi everyone...long time lurker but I have to post now...

My wife fell in love with this new Tartan today at the boat show, & I have to say I like it very much as well. This will be our 1st yacht,(I'm retired as of 2 weeks ago...) and we intend to sail the Pacific North-West & perhaps a trip down to Sea of Cortez after a few years.

Things I like about this boat:

1. Beautiful exterior from all angles
2. Roomy interior...it compares favourably with many 40's
3. Seems that it will be a breeze to solo sail
4. Although only a single head, it's huge & shower will accomadate a 200lb'er like me easily

Things that worry me a bit:

1. 7'+ deep keel...prob great for my area but might be a problem in some anchorages
2. Swim platform is very small..although the water will be to cold usually anyway I do like a sugar scoop.
3. Cost is about 285k USD, but will increase alot by the time I get the bells & whistles I think I want...+35k?
4. I might enjoy this boat so much that I never return home?

Any owners/experts out there care to comment on this boat before I blow the wad on it? Thanks.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 08:10   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
well, first... I must mind my manners and say, "Welcome to the board" and although I'm far from being an expert or a Tartan owner I have an opinion for what it's worth.

In response to your question... I'd say that any vessel out there with a price tag that high will certainly have a lot of "buyer appeal", but if you can afford that much boat I hope you have enough set aside for the 'cruising kitty'.

I think I speak for many here who will post additional remarks...
We'd all love to see some pictures.

Funny though, it's close to 300K$ but you still think you'll add another 35K$ to her?
Damn, I can't imagine a vessel like that needing much of anything except some groceries and dishes added. LoL

Anyway... I too am headed your direction, as soon as I get rid of all this crap I've accumulated over the past 50 years I don't need. My thoughts are, the deeper keel... hmm you're right about the anchorages thing for sure but in the pacific, with a boat that big, you probably won't be trying to take her up on the beach like a catamaran or trimaran in the caribbean.
If you dive, the plateform is certainly a very welcome addition to any vessel you scope out. I had to eliminate many potential vessels for that very reason.
How's your seamanship skills? Sounds like you're headed the way of many who want go there too.

good luck.
Old 18-09-2009, 20:16   #3

Thanks for the welcome...my seamanship skills are poor, but am sure they will improve rapidly since I am finally unemcumbered with a job...

I know its a lot of $$ for a boat, but unless the wife likes it there will be no boat. My kitty should be sustainable if I have used my calculator correctly.

I am still trying to do due diligence before a purchase, and have heard there might be some problems with the Tartan 37 line...I will try follow up on any of these I can. Would love to hear from any with experiance with these...thanks!!
Old 02-10-2009, 13:24   #4

Thanks for all those that pm'd me their takes on the newer Tartans.

Hoping for a bit more info if possible. What would be the aproximate value( +/- 25%) of adding the following equipment to a newer boat?

1. 12v bow thruster
2. Espar heating system
3. color chart plotter
4. auto pilot
5. AIS reciever
6. radar & radar reflector
7.electric windlass
8.bimini top

Thanks!!

Old 02-10-2009, 14:13   #5

negotiate hard! For west coast and mexico the 7' draft will not be as big an issue as east and carribean would.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 14:38   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
If you're new to the Tartan saga it's best to do a check of Novis Marine Ltd. and Grand River Composites .
Old 02-10-2009, 16:50   #7

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
I do own an ancient Tartan 27' from 1967. That our boat is still floating is a testament to the build quality (back then). The 'new' company (Novis) has apparently had some financial problems and there was a lot of brew-ha-ha about someones T37 (?) keel coming loose.
That said, I believe they have tried to carry on the tradition of well built boats.
If it were my money I would shop around for an older (read = used) version of this boat. New boats (like cars) lose a lot of value after they leave the dock (lot). I bet you could find a fairly recent T37 for about half that price and still add on your 35K of toys - some which may already be added by a previous owner (PO).
Add a life raft and dinghy w/motor to your list of add-ons.
Good luck.
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 17:25   #8

Boat: Tartan 37 - Betty Lou
Tartan 37 classic

I own a classic Tartan 37 fin keel (hull 118 , 1979 vintage). Sure glad I didn't spend $300k on a new Tartan. Betty Lou is a terrific boat, a great cruiser, and only set us back $70k. Granted, she was in near bristol condition, and we have been adding systems, dodgers, etc. for a few years now, but she's all the boat I'll ever need, and is a heck of a lot better in a seaway than the newer Tartans, IMHO... We sail here up and down the Oregon/Washington coast going back and forth to Vancouver Is. and points north.

As to your list, skip the thruster and learn to dock the boat.

JK
alpinista55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:30   #9

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Looking at your list, it seems to me that except for the bow thruster and the electric windlass, a new boat with a "sail away" package ought to come with all of that stuff anyway.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:42   #10

"If you're new to the Tartan saga it's best to do a check of Novis Marine Ltd. and Grand River Composites ". Yea, you better go check this out. Skip the bow thruster for sure..
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If you're new to the Tartan saga it's best to do a check of Novis Marine Ltd. and Grand River Composites .
I have read the hull problem saga but it seems that for the most part Tartans are a great boat. If I recieved a proper survey should I still be worried?
I understand Novis might not be around to honor their 15 year warrantee, it might give me more leverage to get a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
negotiate hard! For west coast and mexico the 7' draft will not be as big an issue as east and carribean would.
I was thinking an offer about 15% less than I would be willing to pay would be a decent starting point...it will be winter soon.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:00   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Eder,

Do you intend to buy the boat from a dealer's inventory or order it and wait for delivery? When I ordered my second new boat in 1987/88 I was always worried that the builder would not deliver the boat. You might remember that during those times many builders closed their doors. I then vowed never to order a boat again. My latest boat was on a dealer's lot. No long wait, no worries about delivery or completion and the dealer installed all the upgrades I wanted.

As for a survey, I doubt that any surveyor would have found the fault in the hull problem that's the subject of litigation.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:09   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
you really shouldn't need a bow thruster on a 37 footer. especially not with that sort of keel/rudder.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Eder,

Do you intend to buy the boat from a dealer's inventory or order it and wait for delivery? When I ordered my second new boat in 1987/88 I was always worried that the builder would not deliver the boat. You might remember that during those times many builders closed their doors. I then vowed never to order a boat again. My latest boat was on a dealer's lot. No long wait, no worries about delivery or completion and the dealer installed all the upgrades I wanted.

As for a survey, I doubt that any surveyor would have found the fault in the hull problem that's the subject of litigation.

I have in mind to buy from dealer inventory...I have looked at 2 new ones...there is a used one in like new condition that I have not looked at...but will have a chance to see it before months end.

I am recieving quite a few cautions about Novis and the likelyhood of them being around to honor warranty work. I am in a tough spot though, I already mentioned that the boat I buy needs to be one that pleases my wife. So far the Tartan 3700 and the Hunter 42 is acceptable to her. She likes many boats in 45'+ sizes, but I dont think I will consider such a large boat.
Old 29-10-2009, 04:00   #15
LFR

I own a Tartan 3700CCR, and am in the process of considering the purchase of a new Tartan 4300 with the CCR rig. The 3700 has been a great boat. My wife and I are in our 50's and sail the boat in all conditions with ease. The CCR rig with self-tacking jib and reaching furler make it easy to control the boat from the cockpit in all conditions.
The Tartan display at the Annapolis show was one of the largest ones there. After the show, I visited the factory a few weeks ago to view a 4300 in progress. The factory seems to be pretty busy in spite of that bad economy. The Tartan staff says that Novis investment group sold their interest several years ago and have nothing to do with the current business. It looks to me like Tartan is one of the surviving high-end builders in the US.
LFR is offline   Reply With Quote