Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2021, 08:16   #16

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!
Re: Talk me out of a Tayana 52

the Tayana is a gorgeous boat! and yes, there is no motion like the motion of a big ol' gal, and below, a dream! i discovered this when delivering a Vagabond 47 last summer. utterly amazing!!!

but, i strongly recommend that you find the best sailing school/teacher in the most fabulous place on earth, guaranteed to be so good that it can hook anyone to any kind of sailing..., and send your wife.

if she's truly hooked, you will be a happy man on any boat.

wolfie
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:17   #17

Boat: Hylas 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Just a reminder, you don't have to replace teak with teak. You can replace with much less expensive synthetic substitutes, or if you want keep it natural, go with cork.
The quote to remove the teak, fill the holes and paint it was 40k.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
The quote to remove the teak, fill the holes and paint it was 40k.
Having been there and done this already, I suggest you consider the $40,000 a starting point.
TRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:02   #19

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

As expensive as teak is, I wonder how much of the replacement cost it actually is. When my teak needs to be replaced, I intend to use cork, but I suspect that the bulk of the cost is going to be labor.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:28   #20

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I have had a great experience owning my 1989 Tayana 42 for the last 21 years. The build quality and components are excellent. The 42 is a Robert Harris design but the Robert Perry boats also have a great reputation for design, sea keeping and livability.

I did have a pin hole leak in one of the diesel tanks. This is not uncommon in boat of this age. There is the problem of inaccessibility for removal of the tank without demolishing the beautiful interior of the cabin so I opted to install a bladder tank inside the existing iron tank. In addition to opening up the top of the tank you have to remove the baffles in the tank and grind them down smooth so as not to have any chafe on the bladder. I also padded the inside of the iron tank with rubber decking tiles before inserting the bladder. You want a high quality bladder tank builder to manufacture one to the exact dimensions of the inside of your existing tank so you need to measure the rhomboid shaped tank very carefully.

I used Aero Tec Laboratories, Inc.
Spear Road
Ramsey, New Jersey 07440
201-825-1400
ATL@ATLINC.COM

Cost was $1296 in 2004. That was in addition to the cost of grinding out the baffles in the iron tank and installing the bladder. I’ve had no issues with that tank since then and none with the other iron tank.

If any boat you consider has screwed down teak decks I would be very careful about water intrusion to the deck core material. Others have reported that is a major job. I don’t have experience with that as my boat does not have teak decks.

The only other information I can offer is that Tayana is still in business and offers excellent customer service and information. You can contact Wilson Chang at Tayana World Ta-Yang Shipyard, tayangco@ms15.hinet.net. He has been very helpful to me on several occasions when I needed information about the original construction or about sourcing components.

Best wishes for your return to cruising and your boat buying decisions.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:51   #21

Boat: Islander 36

Thanks, Tayana 42! Very helpful info on the fuel tank bladder. Great solution to avoid destroying the teak interior. I understand some people have had issues with the stainless steel water tanks also. On some of the early builds, the stainless steel was not very good quality. Have you had issues?

The decks are a known issue, and many teak decks have already been torn off. I might buy one with teak decks, but only if boat otherwise ticked all my boxes and the deck job was priced into it.

I think the concern about "bright work" is misplaced. Most of these boats don't have any topsides except a toe rail. They are substantial, and one could let it go natural if desired. Interiors seem to hold up well as long as no water intrusion. Here are photos, displaying a notable absence of exterior bright work: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1920&bih=937

Much common sense in prior posts. I am pretty good on repairs, although my goal in life is not to spend my retirement with my head in a bilge breathing diesel fumes. In regard to converting the wife, I have realistic ambitions there. It is best to think of her as a passenger, and try to entice her to be a frequent passenger. Here is a previous thread I did on this topic: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ms-228442.html

The only way I think I can stop fixating on the T52 is if I can find equally attractive alternatives to lust after. I think you guys have sense of what I like. Any ideas?
Old 06-04-2021, 10:27   #22

I took a quick look at your other thread, and knowing that you are serious about doing a circumnavigation is good information. There aren't a ton of options that fit your budget on the west coast, even in Canada and Mexico. I increased the max $$ in my search, because you never know what you can negotiate down to and the other options I found are these three.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ketch-3823516/

The Amel is an older design, but you can't argue with it's ability. The well protected center cockpit is great for passages as well as relaxing at anchor. It only has 2 cabins, but one of the settees converts into a great bunk.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993/hylas-49-3701796/

This Hylas 49 hits all of your needs pretty well. It does have the aft cabin center cockpit layout, but has enough bunks for crew. It also looks really well maintained, and has a pretty new Yanmar.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...ic-46-3821420/

This boat is really interesting looking. I love the design, the pilothouse/decksalon is somewhat similar to mine, although you don't have the visibility from a seated position. It is great for being able to take a really good look around while down below. It also has engine/throttle, navigation, and autopilot controls from inside. It only has 2 cabins though, but I'd imagine that the settee could convert into a bunk.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:32   #23

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRob View Post
Having been there and done this already, I suggest you consider the $40,000 a starting point.

Removing worn decking is certainly a big job, but $40K+ seems crazy high. A friend bought a Tayana 52 and removed his worn teak decking himself. I don't know how many hours he spent, but he had it done in a few weeks of evenings and weekends (while also enjoying the boat sailing). After removal, he filled the holes and painted.

On a boat this size, I consider a bow thruster a necessity and I would budget for that if the boat doesn't have one already. In general, refitting a boat this size is very expensive. Every part of it will cost substantially more than say a 40 footer. The cost of sailing hardware, like blocks, turnbuckles, shackles, etc. increases exponentially with size. Just be ready.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:39   #24

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

KatapultMike, in answer to your question, I’ve had no problems with my stainless steel water tanks. Sorry, I can’t talk you out of your desire for the T52.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:43   #25

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapult Mike View Post
The only way I think I can stop fixating on the T52 is if I can find equally attractive alternatives to lust after. I think you guys have sense of what I like. Any ideas?

Some of the older Beneteaus, like pre 2010, before they changed to the more modern Ikea style, might fit your taste, price range, and size. Here is one example of a Beneteau 50:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...au-50-3581335/
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:00   #26

Maud, certainly some interesting boats there and fuel for daydreams. Re the earlier thread, although I would love to do a circumnavigation, I no longer consider it a must. I think Covid has caused me to reexamine my priorities, and given my wife's disinterest I don't feel like I have to get in my lap. Maybe just bounce around the Pacific for while, then if getting it to the Med is too tough logistically I sell up and buy another boat in the Med.

Tayana 42, thanks for info and maybe no one will be able to talk me out.

Rohan, the Beneteaus are not as thick on the ground here as some places, but it is a possibility. This one has a better galley layout than most. I really don't like the open plan galley in the middle of the salon that many of them have, can't imagine using one like that in a blow. The other thing I am not a fan of on the Beneteaus is the spade rudder, would really like to have skeg. But the Beneteaus do deliver a lot of "condo on the water" for the money!
Old 06-04-2021, 11:17   #27

I have several friends who bought (or kept) a boat their wife didn't enjoy. Now their wife wont' go out at all on the boat and they're stuck sailing with grumpy old male friends who complain about their bowels and knees.

A 52ft boat is much more likely to keep a wife aboard than a smaller one. It's much less scary at sea. You aren't thrown around as much, lots more storage. And, of course, much more comfortable below.

I find our 55ft Shannon easier to handle than my old smaller boats. A gust of wind isn't going to throw a 25ton boat off course approaching the dock. The decks are steadier at sea.

But you must budget enough. One reason that old boats are cheap is they don't have the improvements that have made sailing a big boat so much easier and cruising so much more pleasant. On the Tayana you'll want:

1. A bowthruster
2. Electric winches
3. Electric fresh water head
4. 3000 watt inverter to allow hair dryers
5. Redone head with new fixtures, paint, etc.
6. All new cushions and mattresses.
7. Solar arch

As to the tanks. It's a big job but I would replace them all. Even the best metal tanks hit their sell-by date at about the 30 year mark. You can go the bladder route but at the end of the day aluminum/plastic fuel tanks and plastic water tanks will be a much better idea and will be trouble free as long as you own the boat.

Finally, if you wife is the least bit hesitant about cruising start with the "meet you there" plan where she flies in. It's easy to find male friends to crew who will jump at the chance to be cold, wet, and seasick for three days offshore. Most 50+ year old women are smarter than that.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:59   #28

Mike, I sent you a pm of another option, let me know if you didn't get it.
Old 06-04-2021, 13:26   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post

A 52ft boat is much more likely to keep a wife aboard than a smaller one. It's much less scary at sea. You aren't thrown around as much, lots more storage. And, of course, much more comfortable below.

Finally, if you wife is the least bit hesitant about cruising start with the "meet you there" plan where she flies in. It's easy to find male friends to crew who will jump at the chance to be cold, wet, and seasick for three days offshore. Most 50+ year old women are smarter than that.
Carl, much wisdom in your post, I especially agree with the two snips above. This is central to my thinking on my search.

Can you expand on the importance of a fresh water toilet? What is wrong with sea water for this purpose?
Old 06-04-2021, 13:28   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Mike, I sent you a pm of another option, let me know if you didn't get it.
I did get it, thanks, just responded. I'm not retired yet! Have to take a conference call every now and then in between fantasizing about boats.