Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2014, 06:32   #16

Boat: 1982 Hughes Columbia 8.7
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

Catalina 27. Perfect boat in that price range, (turnkey to boot) and many to chose from. Standing headroom, inboard engine, and plenty of living space for even 2 people. Coastal cruising, maybe a hop to Bahamas, and or keys for sure
Julian55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 07:20   #17

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Glow, what happened dude. Last month you had a budget of nearly $20k for a Center Console power boat and now a month later you're down to $8k for a liveaboard sailboat. At this rate you'll be floating on a raft from Wal-Mart by the time summer gets here.

You guys are being played.
Old 22-02-2014, 07:34   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
Glow, what happened dude. Last month you had a budget of nearly $20k for a Center Console power boat and now a month later you're down to $8k for a liveaboard sailboat. At this rate you'll be floating on a raft from Wal-Mart by the time summer gets here.

Backup plan methinks.... Center console was a dad/son deal? Now just a get on the water plan...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 09:21   #19

Boat: Cal 2-27

For the price range given, I would strongly consider a Cal 2-27. Decently maintained examples can be had for little.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 09:26   #20

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Working in the boatyards is a great way to shop for and learn to maintain boats. Careful of fumes, chemicals and pinch points.

The mechanical or electrical fields also make for interesting and lucrative career choices.

Buying a boat that will sail away on the day of purchase may require some patience. Not a commodity often found in young men your age.

Best wishes
Old 22-02-2014, 12:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakedfront1 View Post
If you are thinking about going this small in size I would recommend a West Wight Potter 19. They are only one foot shorter than your dream boat Flika.
Just like you plan on doing, I spend the summers sailing up and down the east coast from North Carolina on down. Sometimes my wife joins me in the adventures. Does the boat feel cramped? I do not feel like it. But I am only 5'8"tall. slim built and at 42 of age I am surprisingly flexible to fit in all those tight places. Good yoga exercise!!!! The retractable keel makes the boat beachable, so you will not need a dinghy.
You will also save a lot of $ on storage and maintenance since you can put the boat on the trailer for the winter month. Bottom line you will not depend on any boat yards for any maintenance. For 8000 you can find a 10 year old WWP 19 in sail away condition.
The boat itself is well built and with an eye on weather I feel safe sailing it offshore all the time. IS it bumpy? Sure, but again I do not mind as I do not get sea sick and is good exercise. This summer, hopefully I can make it all the way to Fl Keys and if time /weather permits, I plan on crossing to Bahamas. I heard a guy sailed one from west coast all the way to Hawaii.
In the winter the boat makes a great man cave right there in my driveway. I spent countless hours reading CF posts, drinking beer and just thinking about life and the next sailing and fishing season.....Good luck to you........Constantin
I really like the sound of this. The flickas are great boats, but they are above my price range for the most part, and they are not beachable. I do not have a ton of experience, so a removable keel would be nice, especially in the gulf. I currently own a 14' dinghy that I take everywhere, so the bumpiness isn't a problem for me...I just want something easy to sail and safe enough to do a trip from Sanibel to the Bahamas. I also want something with reasonable speed...I heard the Flickas are slow. I can also take a boat like this out of the water..will it cost more to store a boat at a boat yard/storage facility or to moore it? Thank for the advice, I will check out those boats.
glowprofishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 12:42   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post

I have decided not to go in with my dad on the deal. He really doesn't like boating and fishing enough to drop 10k on a powerboat. I just don't feel comfortable owning a CC at my age, no 17 year old should have a boat unless he can afford it himself. I am responsible for all of my boating costs...a sailboat is more cost effective for me. I have set my own budget to 8k, and I would like to start doing longer trips that a CC could not handle. Fishing is important, but not a priority.
Old 22-02-2014, 12:42   #23

Flicka for $11k on a trailer in Reno, Nevada. Has been posted repeatedly, owner wants to sell so maybe could try an offer at $8k?

PACIFIC SEACRAFT "FLICKA" 20/WTRAILER
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 12:43   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Backup plan methinks.... Center console was a dad/son deal? Now just a get on the water plan...
You are correct.
Old 22-02-2014, 12:47   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Flicka for $11k on a trailer in Reno, Nevada. Has been posted repeatedly, owner wants to sell so maybe could try an offer at $8k?

PACIFIC SEACRAFT "FLICKA" 20/WTRAILER
I'll put in an offer...only problem is location.
Old 22-02-2014, 12:58   #26

8k isnt much. Also depends on how good a sailor you want vs accomodation space. For instance, you might (?) find an Allmand Sail 31 for that money. ($12k more likely) Huge boat for it's size and shoal draft too. But due to the draft etc not a great sailor to weather. But if it's all about cruising.. why not. There are some good smaller boats, better built than the Almand, like CS yachts.. trying to think of others... Compac 27, S2, Oday 30 and the production usuals.
It sounds like you have Cadillac tastes on a welfare budget though!!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 13:59   #27

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Florida is a boat buyer's paradise. You can easily find something to fit the bill.

Here's a 27' Albin Vega ready to go for $3500.
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/4338349201.html

or an S2 that needs some cleaning up but no major work, for $7900:
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/4344365886.html

or a 27' Com Pac that "needs work" of an unidentified nature, for $4600, so you would still have money left in the budget to get some work done:
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/4339261854.html

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Good luck! Wish I had done something like this at 17.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 15:31   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Florida is a boat buyer's paradise. You can easily find something to fit the bill.

Here's a 27' Albin Vega ready to go for $3500.
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/4338349201.html

or an S2 that needs some cleaning up but no major work, for $7900:
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/4344365886.html

or a 27' Com Pac that "needs work" of an unidentified nature, for $4600, so you would still have money left in the budget to get some work done:
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/4339261854.html

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Good luck! Wish I had done something like this at 17.
I just checked those boats out...some very good deals to be had. I won't be purachasing until June, so I will keep looking until I find something perfect-a nice cruiser (20'-26') would be great. Now that I have done some more research, I'm starting to think that I can get something for less than 8k ready to sail. The flicka can possibly be my second sailboat. I have to watch the price...coming from my pocket...a return on the investment would be nice. (Not expediting to make money when/if I sell to upgrade, but breaking even would be nice)
Old 22-02-2014, 15:45   #29

How much does it cost to moor a 20'-26' sailboat per night? (Location: Pine island sound, Sanibel, FL). Would it be cheaper to go with a pocket cruiser and store it in a boat yard when not in use, or moor a larg(er) cruiser year around? (My neighborhood does not allow boats to be stored outside, and a boat this size would never fit in my garage.)
Old 22-02-2014, 15:52   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
8k isnt much. Also depends on how good a sailor you want vs accomodation space. For instance, you might (?) find an Allmand Sail 31 for that money. ($12k more likely) Huge boat for it's size and shoal draft too. But due to the draft etc not a great sailor to weather. But if it's all about cruising.. why not. There are some good smaller boats, better built than the Almand, like CS yachts.. trying to think of others... Compac 27, S2, Oday 30 and the production usuals.
It sounds like you have Cadillac tastes on a welfare budget though!!
Lol, I do have high expectations, probably because my last boat purchase was a 14' boston whaler for $600!!!