Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2012, 17:28   #16

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Small Boats With Two Cabins

I think you'll find that even if you close the door on a cabin, the person in that cabin will know exactly what's going on in the other cabins

It's gonna be a small boat, no matter how it's laid out, even at 40 foot....

So maybe just something with sufficient quarter berths. You could always put curtains up for the kids berths (quarter berths), and usually the forcabin has a door.
Old 20-04-2012, 17:34   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We raised 4 on a 42 ftr 3girls and 1 boy. When our son was 9 he could reef and stand a day watch, of 2 to 3 hours, could drop and retrive an anchor, and many other jobs around the boat ! of course he loved to swim and dive run the dink and all the kid stuff! We always tried to keep our sea days as few as we could so the kids got to see more places and had a chance to get ashore when we got where we were going ! Believe me, kids can and do become good sailors! all our kids still sail one owns her own boat ! so as far as we are concerned kids belong at sea !! espcialy now adays ! Just our 2 cents
Old 21-04-2012, 05:25   #18

Boat: Tartan 30

Here ya go, new on the market

1983 Tiara Yacht Holland Mi 30' S2 9.2 Auxiliary Powered Center Cockpit Sloop sailboat for sale in New York
Old 21-04-2012, 05:41   #19

Boat: O'Day 28

Here ya go, right here on our own site:

For Sale: ODAY 32 CC ketch Pilothouse - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Asking 8 K. Custom pilothouse! Owner turned down a cash offer of $250, so he's going to play hardball.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 05:58   #20

Boat: contessa 32
Re: Small boats with two cabins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerOne View Post
Look at a used Sabre. 38 or 42 feet.
I am 6'3" and had a hard time finding a boat with a comfortable berth.
With the 425 you have two berths big enough for two couples and a great pull out setee. You could sleep in either cabin with son in other cabin. He could then move to salon when you get the inevitable guest.
But then there are other less expensive boats -- former charter Beneteaus that would work too. Look at the 437 or 461.
A 42' sabre for a newbee first boat? To go from N.C. to the keys?
Hello.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 10:56   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Here ya go, right here on our own site:

For Sale: ODAY 32 CC ketch Pilothouse - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Asking 8 K. Custom pilothouse! Owner turned down a cash offer of $250, so he's going to play hardball.
I appreciate 2 sides to every story - but the version I heard was that the transaction fell through from your unwillingness to provide proof of funds and therefore you did not get classified as a "Serious Buyer". Perhaps would have been better to employ a (Buyers) Broker?

But with selling stuff (boats particularly) always have to deal with at least some whose dreams are bigger than their wallets..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 12:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I appreciate 2 sides to every story - but the version I heard was that the transaction fell through from your unwillingness to provide proof of funds and therefore you did not get classified as a "Serious Buyer". Perhaps would have been better to employ a (Buyers) Broker?

But with selling stuff (boats particularly) always have to deal with at least some whose dreams are bigger than their wallets..........
True enough.
Old 21-04-2012, 12:35   #23
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent

It's nice being able to shut out the rest of the world once in a while while boating.
The rooms on our boat all have doors and the privacy pays off.

We have direct Sat TV at home. For just $10 more a month we have two sat TV's on the boat as well.
I love sports, movies, the weather channel, breaking news,, it's nice being able to close the door and watch the tube. Especially in weather.

We have guest aboard doors as opposed to curtains helps everyone get along much better too.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 12:50   #24

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

Two boats you may want to look into, but I don't know about their availability. One 35' that I have been on that has an AMAZING amount of space below is a Chris Craft Caribbean. It has fore and aft separate cabins, each with their own heads! Puny center cockpit, though. Made in the mid-1970's. Another boat that looks like a similar set-up is a mid-70's Coronado 35'. That one may be available inexpensively, but it is in Tortola, BVI.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 13:26   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Why not ask your son what he would want?

As a childless ex high school teacher most of experience has been with teenagers but a 9 year old should be able to make decisions understanding the consequences and be able to stick to any agreement made.

You're making the assumption that your son wants his own cabin. Unless he's told you that himself it may not be true. He may have a whole lot of things that are important that you don't know about.

Why not have a talk with him about what he wants, and bring him along when you look at boats. Ask his opinion as to whether he would feel comfortable in the boat that you're looking at.

My experience of children is that bribery is remarkably effective, once I know what they want. And they bribe real cheap!

My guess is that he'd swap a separate cabin for assurances of contact with other children with similar interests, outboard privileges, access to a decent pair of binoculars, guaranteed computer time and being able to watch his favorite TV shows.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 15:38   #26

Boat: Tartan 40
Problem with most enclosed aft cabins in small boats is that you can't shut the door in more than 65 degrees without steaming yourself.
I prefer the traditional v berth, main cabin, and pilot berth setup in the mild-low 30 foot range. You can use curtains for privacy without disrupting the airflow. Doors and bulkhead in small boats rarely give sound privacy, so curtains work just as well. We have our kids sleep in the vberth on our boat, and we sleep on the convertible dinette under the hatch and love it. Takes 1 minute to convert, and makes the next 8 hours of sleep worthwhile. We sewed a fitted sheet sleeve with sewn on top sheet that enclosed a cut to fit piece of memory foam, so we just roll it up when we're done, and unroll it to sleep on, no tucking needed and super comfortable to sleep on.

Especially on chesapeake in summer, there just aren't many aft cabins in boats our size that ventilate well enough to sleep in, and in cooler weather most feel like a cave until you get to the 40 foot range.
Who wants to sleep next to a radiant furnace (engine) anyway?
Just my opinion, of course.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 10:01   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Problem with most enclosed aft cabins in small boats is that you can't shut the door in more than 65 degrees without steaming yourself.
I prefer the traditional v berth, main cabin, and pilot berth setup in the mild-low 30 foot range. You can use curtains for privacy without disrupting the airflow. Doors and bulkhead in small boats rarely give sound privacy, so curtains work just as well. We have our kids sleep in the vberth on our boat, and we sleep on the convertible dinette under the hatch and love it. Takes 1 minute to convert, and makes the next 8 hours of sleep worthwhile. We sewed a fitted sheet sleeve with sewn on top sheet that enclosed a cut to fit piece of memory foam, so we just roll it up when we're done, and unroll it to sleep on, no tucking needed and super comfortable to sleep on.

Especially on chesapeake in summer, there just aren't many aft cabins in boats our size that ventilate well enough to sleep in, and in cooler weather most feel like a cave until you get to the 40 foot range.
Who wants to sleep next to a radiant furnace (engine) anyway?
Just my opinion, of course.
It's a good comment and applies to the 45 footers too! I guess it depends onwhere you plan on being inthe summer!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 10:40   #28
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent

Some people use KY in their sex life to prevent kids.

Prevent children you say??????

Ya smear it on the bedroom door knob and it prevents kids.

My daughter told me once she'd curl up and die if she ever walked in on my wife and I.
A nice bedroom door with a secure lock or KY on the knob will prevent this.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 11:34   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

KY on the door knob?

Wow, I thought I knew all the kinks!
Old 22-04-2012, 15:02   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Why not ask your son what he would want?

Why not have a talk with him about what he wants, and bring him along when you look at boats. Ask his opinion as to whether he would feel comfortable in the boat that you're looking at.

My guess is that he'd swap a separate cabin for assurances of contact with other children with similar interests, outboard privileges, access to a decent pair of binoculars, guaranteed computer time and being able to watch his favorite TV shows.

Outboard privileges! I rowed everywhere. With an outboard you can visit the kids in the next cove. Maybe even a girl.