Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2021, 00:50   #1

SF to Bahamas

Just bought a hunter 30-2. New to sailing so any pointers from you superior sailors out there on making the trip from SF to the Bahamas via the Panama Canal?

Please do not recommend buying a boat in Florida instead I’m set in stone on my route of choice.

Thanks.
Kmtoth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: SF to Bahamas

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kmtoth.

I presume you intend to depart from San Francisco, CA.
Exit Yerba Buena, then make three left turns.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:13   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’ve not done that route, but my instinct would be to practice sailing to windward. You’re going to need to be really good at it!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:28   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

As long as you have time, its plenty doable. Lots to see on the passage. You need to time Mexico and Central America to avoid hurricane season. Then time your passage north from Panama, which is the toughest one if not done at the best times - late April, early May is best, with a less optimum time in Nov. Then you need to be out of the Bahamas by the start of Atlantic hurticane season.
Check the website for the Panama Posse Rally for some good info.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:17   #5

I used to deliver boats (mostly power) based out of SF. You are looking at around 5500-6000 nms in a boat that will be lucky to make 125 nm days with limited stowage for fuel, water, provisions, spares, and supplies.

You will need weather skills as much as sailing skills. Access to weather forecasting information is key.

Beating up the Caribbean/Atlantic is tough. It's a long, relentless slog. There are also some security concerns along coast of central America - Nicaragua and Honduras, so best to stay east, though reports of piracy as far off coast as Providencia. Best route is to aim for east end of Jamaica which brings you to Bahamas. Of course, at south end, Venezuela is no great shakes either. Noonsite.com continues to be best resource for current info. They have links to security-at-sea sites with current stats. It's a good trip, but requires planning, time, and money.

Make sure you have a really, really good Bimini or dodger. Sun is brutal in those latitudes.

Good luck and congrats on your boat.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:23   #6

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Can you keep us posted on your progress? I have a hunter, ad well. I always like to see how the hunters do on longer trips.

Warmest regards,
Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas