Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2020, 06:26   #1

Boat: Contessa 32
Roller furler lubricant

I have a CDI roller furler on my Cape Dory 25D that is very stiff to operate. It uses a metal washer/disc at the base and I assume some sort of lubricant would help with it’s stiffness. I’ve contacted CDI but would appreciate some real world advise on a lubricant that might be used to fix this problem.

I have a can of white lithium grease that has a tubular nozzle on it that might aid in getting the grease to the bearing surface without tearing the furler down. I would obviously prefer not having to do this if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help!
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 06:29   #2

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: Roller furler lubricant

Definitely NOT grease. It will attract dirt, dust, and all kinds of debris and make it much worse period in addition, as it gets wet you will have a grease stain on your fore deck. Best to use sailkote MC lube, if anything.

Have you checked the swivel at the top of the furler?
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 06:39   #3

Ok, great advise. Thanks for the quick response! I’ll look for sailkote MC lube.
Old 31-10-2020, 07:08   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

One problem. You may need to get the old lubricant out of the bearings before you put the new in. If the situation is no lubricant, just add it, if the problem is that old lubricant is jamming the works, you may need to start over.
Old 31-10-2020, 12:39   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
One problem. You may need to get the old lubricant out of the bearings before you put the new in. If the situation is no lubricant, just add it, if the problem is that old lubricant is jamming the works, you may need to start over.
I don't think that these furlers have "real" bearings like Profurl, Harken et al have. IIRC, it incorporates an integral halyard, no top swivel or bottom bearings between foil and wire and is a totally different design from the "standard" types.

I suspect that the disk the OP mentions is between the drum and a stop clamped on to the stay that supports the weight of the foil and sail... a simple thrust bearing. Quite possibly it is made of some slippery plastic like teflon or polyethylene and not meant to be lubricated... but that is a guess, not knowledge.

Jim
Old 31-10-2020, 18:59   #6

You are correct. A simple disc of metal separates the upper “cup and dust cover from the lower bearing surface. The best I can describe it is two round flat surfaces seperated by a 1/8” thick disc of Polished metal. The lower surface appears to be a white material ( probably not Teflon because it flows under pressure).

I sprayed the thrust disc and area with sailkote and also the jib where it was hanging up on the radar unit.

Tags
furler, roller furler