Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2022, 10:47   #1

Boat: Tanzer 22 to learn to sail on .
Researching Blue Water Boats

Hello to all, we are totally new to sailing and are in the beginning stages of researching for our Bluewater boat. On the list at the moment is the Pearson 365/367 and I would like to know if they have a keel stepped Mast or Deck stepped. It funny how its not always easy to google the answers you seek.

Does anyone know where we could find mast info on any boats to know for sure Deck step/ Keel stepped. As we have discovered the post in the living are could be a compression post only and not for sure a keel stepped mast.

Any Info on these boats would be helpful. We hear some say that the Pearson 365/367 are not Bluewater boats, while other say yes. As we are new to all this, we are a little more fearful of being caught in the perfect storm, too many sailing movies, lol.

We are considering Cape Dory/ Pearson/ Bayfield/ Westsail, in 32-36 range at this point. We are afraid to go bigger and be boat poor, and as a result over whelm my limited pension. This is just to name the major contenders at this point ( Early in our search). it seems the more we know, the less we know and more confusion we face, lol
Lady Captin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 11:09   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Researching Blue Water Boats

all water is Blue mate, boats sail on the water
Old 21-01-2022, 11:22   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

You can often determine whether a mast is keel stepped or deck stepped by looking up the plans on Sailboatdata.com. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/pearson-365 From the side they will usually show the mast either going through the cabin or deck -- or not. From the top view the mast will show as a rounded extrusion in the salon, while a compression post might be square, or just show the bulkhead.

People's definitions of 'Bluewater' vary considerably, so 'Bluewater boats' is quite an amorphous term. Lots of well-meaning posters seem to think any salt water is blue. Those who haven't spent two days in a storm at sea in a particular design may think it better built than it actually is. You are right to ask questions and to realize that there is a lot to know.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 11:47   #4

The skills of the crew count for more than the design of the boat. Get a cheap boat ASAP for learning, not fixing up systems, get out there start logging miles, join a club get experience on lots of boats

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...se-260139.html
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 12:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
The skills of the crew count for more than the design of the boat. Get a cheap boat ASAP for learning, not fixing up systems, get out there start logging miles, join a club get experience on lots of boats

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...se-260139.html
Lady Captin
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 13:25   #6

Boat: S2 9.1

Not really familiar with Pearson boats so I had a quick look on Yacht World. I saw a Pearson 37 and a Pearson 37-2 with the later being a newer design. I really liked the 37-2, has a cutter rig which is a bonus. It looked to me that they both have a keel steeped mast.

A Canadian boat that you might want to consider is a CS26 Traditional or their Merlin 36. Very well built boats that sail well.

Have fun looking.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 13:55   #7

Thank you for you genuine thoughtful response. It is people like you that make the sailing community the best it can be. Although...NOT ! quite as helpful as Goboatingnow, letting me know that all saltwater is Blue! That is a game changer for me.

May have to rethink my plans after learning all Saltwater is Blue! Have to now consider boats that can only sail in blue water ! I know this it not listed on sailboatdata.com., so back to the drawing board.

All joking aside , I have been on sailboatdata.com, but still trying to learn all the abbreviations and terms listed. Thank you for what you pointed out!
Old 21-01-2022, 14:09   #8

Gary Mc. Thank you for your input. I little more info , we are concerned enough about being in the open ocean, like a little cork . That at this point, we are leaning more toward a full keel, save our souls boat. While things are changing , as we learn more, we feel full keel heavy boat would make us feel safer.

Also at this point we feel the compromise for us at this point in our boat journey, would be a fin keel with a decent skeg ! That may come or go, but at the beginning we would not entertain anything but full keel.

we also realize that over all a bigger boat will be a more comfortable sail in general. So its a balance between bigger and a realistic budget. We have as a result ruled out anything under 30 feet. We have a 105 lbs Rottweiler that is coming alone, as she is only two years old .

So need a little more room , and ability to modify the boat in this regard to some degree. Thus a bigger boat more room for modification with this concern. However if we run out of money and have to sell the dog on island, it would defeat the purpose.

Thank you for all who reply and offer insight !
Old 21-01-2022, 14:17   #9

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I own a Pearson 367, and it's keel-stepped. Same for the 365. Both 365 and 367 have what I think is referred to as a modified fin keel, i.e., not a full keel, but a longish fin keel. Molded not bolted, and the fiberglass on both the 367 and 365 is damn thick. My boat is heavy, as is the 365, so you need at least 10 knots to get going, but the boat will easily stand high winds.

For two people and a big dog, though, you may want to think about a Pearson 422 or 424 if you can find one in good shape.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 14:33   #10

Thank you for you great info on the Pearson, we have now moved it up a notch ! Lady Captin has put her foot down. Not allowed to go above 37 end of story ! She is super concerned about running out of money!

As a side note, we live full time in a 28. 5 foot Fifth Wheel with two large dogs. 130 lb Mastiff and the 106 lb Rottweiler. So should be able to do a 36 foot boat with just the Rottweiler. The Mastiff is much older and will not be around for the trip by the time we head out.
Old 21-01-2022, 14:55   #11

Boat: Pearson

The mast is keel stepped. Close attention to look, examine the base of the mast for corrosion, a common problem if drain holes have not been drilled in the base. It can be fixed but tricky on some boats pearsons are excellent boats, thick,solid hulls, turnbuckels, shrouds hardware generally heavier than comp. boats.
Old 21-01-2022, 14:55   #12

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Captin View Post
Thank you for you great info on the Pearson, we have now moved it up a notch ! Lady Captin has put her foot down. Not allowed to go above 37 end of story ! She is super concerned about running out of money!

As a side note, we live full time in a 28. 5 foot Fifth Wheel with two large dogs. 130 lb Mastiff and the 106 lb Rottweiler. So should be able to do a 36 foot boat with just the Rottweiler. The Mastiff is much older and will not be around for the trip by the time we head out.
Okay! If you are living in that fifth wheel, you can manage the Pearson 365 or 367. After all, dogs don't require much clothes storage area. I am super happy with my boat, and I'm in the process of doing multiple upgrades because I plan to keep her. If you can find a 367, you will find the interior finish a bit better than the 365. There is also a sloop version of the 365, and my personal preference is for a cutter or sloop. If you have any other questions about the boats, please feel free to ask.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 14:57   #13

Boat: Pearson 367, 36 Foot

I have a Pearson 367 and it is definitely a blue water boat. I have been kicking around the idea of selling her. I believe she is the finest of the 49 that were built and she is in Bristol condition. If you like to talk about her and the 367 in general give me a car at 206-252-2555.
My name is Lou.
Sailorlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 15:08   #14

Boat: Pearson 367, 36 Foot

I’m sorry I fat keyed my number the correct number is 206-251-2555
Sailorlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 15:15   #15

For cruising I always prefer a deckstepped mast. Why ? In case of pitchpoling or dismasting for other reasons, you can clear the debris without leaving a hole in your deck.
If the atachment points of the lateral stays are much lower than your mastfoot, you will have higher loads on them - bigger gauge and more tension.

Capt. Claus - ocean tramp of the eighties
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, blue water, Blue Water boats, boat, research, water