Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2017, 18:50   #31

Re: Production ''blue water'' boats which has sailed oeans

Any Hallberg Rassy will do.
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 19:20   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

Yes a Halburg Rassy is great, if you have the money, other than that, you pay your money and take your choice. I bought a Southern Cross 31, for 8500 dollars, and sailed it from north carolina to scotland, via Bermuda Antigua, Montserrat, Guada loup, was in the Atlantic for a year, on sailing finally from Bermuda, the boat in front of me (The Blue Pearl) a fifty foot bendy toy, went down, three crew and a dog saved, tanker came in and got them from the life raft, the boat behind me, another bendy toy, went down, with all hands, keel came off it, owners were prosecuted in the uk, my cousin thought it was my boat. No chance dont take **** across the atlantic, I like my sleep, got to have a boat that looks after you, a boat that you can sleep in, got to have a full keel, got to have a thick hull, got to have a good hull deck joint, got to have good stays, lots of them, all to there own anchor points, none of this every stay to the one anchor point.

Plenty of boats on the market, older ones, modern ones are just holiday homes for a marina, bendy toy is a benatau
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 19:23   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Maybe it's time that you got off your arse and quit your cushy annual Caribbean/NYC migration and circumnavigate South America. The women down there are hot and the steaks delicious.

Then your Bene can include the Southern Ocean and Cape Horn in it's CV
I think its disgusting you should reference Chilean women as being good looking. We are in an age of equality no matter their svelte butts.

I am shocked and horrified at your insinuations

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 22:35   #34

Catalina 470 or 445. Available in Europe, and built to their safety standards.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 01:10   #35

MWMSEA,
The Valients have tremendous blistering issues.
Well know among the owners.

Fijijim
SY Kalokalo, P35, #60
Suva, Fiji
Jim van Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 01:21   #36

Boat: Amel 50

I know all these names HR, SWAN, etc. but I look for NEW boat which will be suitable to sail between tropics.

Sure, I do not know if it is possible to find such boat within budget but that is why I ask.
Maybe some saltwater sailors will answer: yes we did it on.....
I know people who sailed on Beneteau 46, 473, Bavaria 47. But these are boats which are not longer in production.
My question refers to boats which are still in offer and have been sailed not only coastal but in Pacific ocean as well.
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 04:16   #37

Manufacturers switch processes materials, even models in 3-4 years, e.g. the Elan 340 I first wanted to go for run between 2006-2010.

For "qualifying specs" look at the ARC entries - there are plenty of <12m boats there, Bavaria, Bene, Jeanneau & Co. I'd - I did - simply search for major manufacturer's faults like problematic support, rusting pieces which supposed to be stainless, rudder & keel losses. From this forum based assessment so far two manufaturers came out as black sheep, Bavaria (keel losses+rusting+problematic refit) and Hanse (rudder loss+rusting+bad support).

Of course, I don't want to be in a serious storm with any other "production unit" - but honestly I don't want to be in a serious storm in any kind of vessel, no fun, nothing to see & (guessing as a noobie) lots of work. Once I get a boat I'll do everything to avoid nastier weather systems (up-to date meteorology + speedier boat + learning from the old foxes how to read local weather patterns).

After shooting the black sheep, it comes down to the comfort level you need: do you realy want to put 6 people in for a passage? Are they all devoted sailors or there are 1-2 "barely convinced wives", kids who need more space & comfort? E.g. I'd definitely not squeeze two families on anything smaller than 49' for an ARC.

BTW, your price range also allows for cat's bought in charter, just one more thing to consider...
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 04:41   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim van Cleve View Post
MWMSEA,
The Valients have tremendous blistering issues.
Well know among the owners.

Fijijim
SY Kalokalo, P35, #60
Suva, Fiji
Valiants that were built in WA state and that we're built with flame retarded gelcoat certainly had gelcoat issues in a very big way but those Valiants built in Texas had none
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 04:47   #39

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Manufacturers switch processes materials, even models in 3-4 years, e.g. the Elan 340 I first wanted to go for run between 2006-2010.

For "qualifying specs" look at the ARC entries - there are plenty of <12m boats there, Bavaria, Bene, Jeanneau & Co. I'd - I did - simply search for major manufacturer's faults like problematic support, rusting pieces which supposed to be stainless, rudder & keel losses. From this forum based assessment so far two manufaturers came out as black sheep, Bavaria (keel losses+rusting+problematic refit) and Hanse (rudder loss+rusting+bad support).

Of course, I don't want to be in a serious storm with any other "production unit" - but honestly I don't want to be in a serious storm in any kind of vessel, no fun, nothing to see & (guessing as a noobie) lots of work. Once I get a boat I'll do everything to avoid nastier weather systems (up-to date meteorology + speedier boat + learning from the old foxes how to read local weather patterns).

After shooting the black sheep, it comes down to the comfort level you need: do you realy want to put 6 people in for a passage? Are they all devoted sailors or there are 1-2 "barely convinced wives", kids who need more space & comfort? E.g. I'd definitely not squeeze two families on anything smaller than 49' for an ARC.

BTW, your price range also allows for cat's bought in charter, just one more thing to consider...
I am not interested in Cat.

Of course I do not want to go into the storm on purpose. As everybody says : it is better to prevent than to cure. It is up to 6 persons so 3 cabins max. Usually I expect 3-4 persons (family) onboard.
Devoted sailors? 2
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 04:48   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Valiants that were built in WA state and that we're built with flame retarded gelcoat certainly had gelcoat issues in a very big way but those Valiants built in Texas had none
Wow, my new motto "useful as a fireproof bottom paint"
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 05:03   #41

Quote:
Wow, my new motto "useful as a fireproof bottom paint"
Not bad
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 05:10   #42

Boat: Valiant 40
Production ''blue water'' boats which has sailed oeans

Outbound 46.

Freshman, you better broaden your search. No true production boat company is going to sell you just the hull.

If I were you I'd locate some abandoned custom aluminum hull build and go from there. They are out there.
Old 13-03-2017, 06:35   #43
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:

For "qualifying specs" look at the ARC entries - there are plenty of <12m boats there, Bavaria, Bene, Jeanneau & Co. I'd - I did - simply search for major manufacturer's faults like problematic support, rusting pieces which supposed to be stainless, rudder & keel losses.
Great method!

ARC is stacked with the latest best sellers. Enough boats to see the trends.

Plus the Google advice... disgruntled owners vent.

Also when zeroing in on one brand/model check for specific owners forums. They can have an absolute wealth of information that owner freely offer.

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 07:27   #44

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985

read John Kretschmer on Water boats">blue water boats...
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 07:45   #45

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman View Post

... I look for NEW boat which will be suitable to sail between tropics ...
Between the tropics and under a good skipper nearly anything will do.

The market is awash with s/h boats that can sail the tropics.

Avoid buying "hull and ..." and outfitting it yourself. You will NEVER get detail prices on equipment to match the wholesale prices gotten by big boatyards.

The "hull and" are maybe 1/5 the price of the complete package. And hardly any owner can outfit a boat to boatyard standards.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, water