Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 19:42   #61

Re: Potential Buyer Asking for a "Test Drive"

In the seller's position - if the seller is still actively sailing the boat anyways (and/or is retired), then a test sail is not a hardship. Otherwise... it is considerably more of a hassle and time commitment than letting someone test-drive a car, and if you're going to grant a test sail to every halfway-interested buyer, you are going to be busy (and popular). If the prospective buyers show up with a split of champagne and quickly retire to the saloon... welcome to chartering
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 01:08   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Those who wonder at the reluctance of taking a potential buyer out for a “test sail” have probably never sold a boat. In my experience the number of tire-kickers and quasi-interested folk far outweighs the serious buyers. And that’s not to even mention the outright scammers. If you plan to take everyone out who asks for a ride, then fine… but that will be a lot of free rides.

Like many have said, if they person really is serious, then a signed purchase agreement with a deposit, is not asking for much. The agreement can include a clause like, "if I don’t like the way she handles the deal is off,” (although that would be an odd inclusion).

Like I said, I would consider taking someone out for a test sail only if I really thought they were very serious, AND I thought it would actually help the sale, AND it was no real skin of my nose to do so.

There are probably as many tyre kickers looking at used boats as there are for used cars.
The best technique is to bring up money early before agreeing to any trial.

One question that works for professional sales people in a vehicle dealership or a boat brokerage is the simple:
"are you a cash buyer or would you be looking for finance?"
The tyrekicker frequently remembers he has to be elsewhere.

It is a commercial deal, money has to change hands, and your time is money, if the buyer won't talk price and a deposit, don't waste your time.
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 01:48   #63

I insisted on a test drive when I bought my boat. I'd been 200 miles to see it twice before so he knew I was relatively serious
Nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 02:56   #64

If you want to spend 2k ok a car, don't you take it for a test ride? It's not unusual or out of the question to take it out for see trials with an offer, I would accompany them. To make sure they don't miss handler there boat or abuse it. Predicating this I would expect a serious offer.
sonofasonofasailer456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 03:05   #65

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Follow the exact process brokers use. They have developed it for a reason.

10% deposit shows he's serious and has some funds. Then make the sale subject to sea trial.

Google a yacht broker's contract then follow it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 03:31   #66

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Wow, I seem to disagree with a lot of the posters here.

When we were looking for a boat, one couple went out of their way to present their boat to us, invited us down for breakfast at dawn, took us out for a sail once the tide allowed it, after a really thorough showing over of the boat.

We sailed for two hours, they handed over the wheel for the whole journey aside from the bit where they demonstrated the autopilot and the coming and going from the marina.

"So?" you might ask.

Well, we bought the boat.

Just saying.
Old 15-08-2018, 03:32   #67

And seriously people... if you actually don't want to take someone for a sail... why the heck did you buy a boat in the first place?
Old 15-08-2018, 03:33   #68

Geez, I even offered a test run in the Quicksilver 380 inflatable I sold last week.

And that's the thing, I sold it. In the middle of winter too. For more than I paid for it.

Just saying.

Again.
Old 15-08-2018, 04:38   #69

Boat: Valiant 40

It comes down to the value of your time. If it’s an inconvenience to take him out, then go the deposit route. If not, then take him out.

Don’t lose sight of your objective by clouding it with principal. You want to sell the boat.
Old 15-08-2018, 04:52   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

If the boat was being surveyed the surveyor would insist on taking it out for a test drive, its part of the survey, or it certainly was when I paid a surveyor to survey a boat.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 06:26   #71

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Wow, I seem to disagree with a lot of the posters here.

When we were looking for a boat, one couple went out of their way to present their boat to us, invited us down for breakfast at dawn, took us out for a sail once the tide allowed it, after a really thorough showing over of the boat.

We sailed for two hours, they handed over the wheel for the whole journey aside from the bit where they demonstrated the autopilot and the coming and going from the marina.

"So?" you might ask.

Well, we bought the boat.

Just saying.

That's exactly how we sold our last boat. He wanted to dock it, but that's where I drew the line. You need to join the owners (of a good liability policy) club before that kind of fun can be had. We already had our new boat, and since they'd driven their RV to the marina and planned on staying a couple days, we invited them to look it over as much as they liked, and to have as many sundowners aboard as they wished. Not only did we turn a profit, but he paid $500 over my asking price because of some kind of odd number voodoo. He hasn't crashed it yet, despite many close calls, so I suppose the voodoo is working.
They are still in the slip next to us, and they are still friendly, so I guess they still like the old boat.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 06:37   #72
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Have not read all the replies, but I would say to potential buyer
"Given your seriousness and the time we already spent on the boat, I will take you out on the boat for $100/ hr, minimum 2 hr's.
If we reach an agreement, I will refund the money as it became the official Sea Trial
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 07:06   #73

It seems a bit strange... the Test Drive thing. Make an offer, agree on price, deposit, do the sea trial. Deposit refundable. But it really comes down to how much time you have, and your confidence that he is legit. I did close the deal on a boat I was selling, that the broker couldn't close, by meeting with the owner myself over a drink. So sometimes going the extra mile works out. It could be a negotiation ploy, you get the buyer or seller invested with time etc, then lowball.
One thought, if you are willing at all to take the buyer out, is to say "agree on a price and inspection time limit, with no deposit, and I will take you out".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 07:50   #74

If you feel that the buyers are serious, bring them on the sea trial. It's a buyer's market, if your boat is high on his list, a nice Sunday afternoon sailing could convince your best agent, the Mrs., who is fed up with the "captain's" endless quest to find the holy grail and fell in love in your tidy galley

If it's not a significant burden for you (=could do it with 5 other customers), I'd avoid any administrative hurdles like deposits at this point. Entertain your customer and sell the boat!

Otherwise, "standard procedure": motoring in the harbor is a basic exercise, which I would do for any interested customers even without a request. I am there/my time is spent, and that 0.5$ worth of fuel won't brake the bank.
Old 15-08-2018, 09:48   #75

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
It comes down to the value of your time. If it’s an inconvenience to take him out, then go the deposit route. If not, then take him out.

Don’t lose sight of your objective by clouding it with principal. You want to sell the boat.
I love Suijin's sig line... "Having a yacht is reason for being more cheerful than most." -Kurt Vonnegut

Hmmm, "If one values their time, wouldn't they sell through a broker? If they are so concerned about money that they don't use a broker, then perhaps they were too cheap to maintain their boat properly. I wonder why they don't want to take me out for a spin around the block? If I'm not giving my deposit to a third party, how can I be sure this guy isn't going to cheat me out of the deposit if the boat turns out to be a dog? I wonder if he's really serious about selling it..."