Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2020, 10:15   #16
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Places only a monohull can go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Edit: Many marinas can't take cats

yup and the ones that do charge you for 2 slips. but catamaran owners are rich so no worries there
Old 01-01-2020, 10:23   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howard View Post
I have sailed our Manta catamaran through many canals: ICW, Caledonia canal (Scotland), Great Lakes, in and out through the locks at Puerto Madero, Buenos Aires, Argentina, etc.
I have sailed the high latitudes, to Labrador, across Iceberg Alley to Iceland, across the Arctic Circle, south and around Cape Horn, through the Beagle Channel and into many ice choked anchorages among the glaciers along there. We avoided being damaged by ice in Alaska among the glaciers there by keeping a good watch and noting wind direction.
Any boat can get crushed in the ice, cat or mono. Any boat can run over ice and have their prop damaged, though by keeping a good watch and slowly nudging aside small chunks, the props (ours were saildrives with Maxprops) were never damaged in North Atlantic, North Pacific nor South Atlantic and Pacific ice.

A well built, well outfitted catamaran sailed with good seamanship can go anywhere a monohull can, and the crew be more comfortable, too, whether at anchor or at sea. We have had monohull sailors come over to our boat in rolly anchorages just to get a break from hanging on constantly in their rolly monohulls.
Docking was rarely a problem, the only places we were charged extra for our beam (21ft) was in Portugal and Spain.

Thanks for the report.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:41   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Just for fun you might check out sailing canal barges too! (masts are on tabernacles)
https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/d...s.11316/page-5

https://www.platbodemverhuurfrieslan...friesland.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2020-01-01 at 11.37.57 AM.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	206014  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 14:36   #19

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
I have sailed our Manta catamaran through many canals: ICW, Caledonia canal (Scotland), Great Lakes, in and out through the locks at Puerto Madero, Buenos Aires, Argentina, etc.
I have sailed the high latitudes, to Labrador, across Iceberg Alley to Iceland, across the Arctic Circle, south and around Cape Horn, through the Beagle Channel and into many ice choked anchorages among the glaciers along there. We avoided being damaged by ice in Alaska among the glaciers there by keeping a good watch and noting wind direction.
Any boat can get crushed in the ice, cat or mono. Any boat can run over ice and have their prop damaged, though by keeping a good watch and slowly nudging aside small chunks, the props (ours were saildrives with Maxprops) were never damaged in North Atlantic, North Pacific nor South Atlantic and Pacific ice.

A well built, well outfitted catamaran sailed with good seamanship can go anywhere a monohull can, and the crew be more comfortable, too, whether at anchor or at sea. We have had monohull sailors come over to our boat in rolly anchorages just to get a break from hanging on constantly in their rolly monohulls.
Docking was rarely a problem, the only places we were charged extra for our beam (21ft) was in Portugal and Spain.
I would suggest that Paul Howard just did the “mike drop” on the naysayers in this post
Old 01-01-2020, 20:08   #20

Thank you for the replies. It does seem like with a monohull you are a bit more secure in knowing there should be a spot in a Marina for you.

Paul, I'd be very curious to know what kind of catamaran you have. It's nice to know that with such a large beam you are still able to go so many places. but like Hpeer said, I was under the impression that most boats, be they monohull or catamaran can't really handle places with ice, unless specifically designed to.
Ranshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 23:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
How about cheap boatyards and marina berths? Ranshiro pick up your phone and compare haul out costs and marina berth costs between a 40 foot cat and 40 foot monohull.
Cheers
Without knowing the specific model...your average 40ft cat is a much bigger overall boat.

our 34ft cat was roughly equivalent living area of similar 40ft monos...we got into any slip a 40ft mono could get into...

Plus a few times we got slips at full marinas because we could take a shallow slip no mono would consider.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 23:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
yup and the ones that do charge you for 2 slips. but catamaran owners are rich so no worries there
Odd...we did the Great Loop staying at dozens of marinas and some time in Spain...never paid extra.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 23:31   #23

Boat: Volkscruiser

Not sure it’s really an issue with wide beams having to now pay more on UK canals since the canals are pretty narrow anyway.
https://www.iims.org.uk/canal-river-...t-to-pay-more/
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 00:18   #24

Quote:
No and no.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:20   #25

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranshiro View Post
So my original plan was in about two years get a catamaran and sail the world full time. However for various reasons I am now leaning towards a monohull. When my partner heard this she said "Great now we can go on the French canals!" Which I didn't know was a thing. But looking it up, seems it can be done with the right monohull.

This got me thinking, what other places are there around the world that a monohull can go or get to that a catamaran can't? Ideally I'd want to get to as many of them as possible and make the most of having a monohull.
Quite a few marinas and shipyards to start with.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:38   #26
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Odd...we did the Great Loop staying at dozens of marinas and some time in Spain...never paid extra.

seriously? try the east and west coast of Florida to start with .. and get back to me. when you take up 2 slips you are going to pay one way or another.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:02   #27
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
seriously? try the east and west coast of Florida to start with .. and get back to me. when you take up 2 slips you are going to pay one way or another.

Been sailing catamarans on the east and west coast of Florida for almost 30 years and never been charged extra. We don’t pull into a marina often but I guess when we did we picked the right one.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
Upwind?
Bwa, ha, ha, ha!
Old 02-01-2020, 11:17   #29

Boat: Island Trader 41

Speaking of places a monohull can go. I am sailing my 41ft ketch on a half loop from providence where I purchased her to Chattanooga. Berthing there for a few years to live while my sons are in highschool. I would love to find some substantial water weight bags to heel the boat over if needed up river. I can't t seem to find a retail source. Any suggestions?
Andrew Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:30   #30

Boat: ?

Quote:

color me impressed.

...any chance you keep a website?

...i'll add..

from colombia to panama to guatemala/belize/mexico and then usa...
...only a single marina in kemah texas attempted to double charge extra of the width of our catamaran.
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull