Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2022, 17:01   #886

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

I have the same plate around my rudder post, and it says Glas Laminates, but Rob I wonder, isn't your hull number there? I can't recall how they did the hull numbers for the Defenders.

As to the ice box, mine is not insulated but I have contemplated insulating it and returning it to that function, but for our trips it made more sense to use it for storing things that only needed to be "cool," like eggs and bread, and then I have a "cold" cooler in the hanging locker for stuff like juice and cheese, and then a really good cooler for frozen stuff under the cockpit seats. When the boats were built I think the icebox was just meant to keep a couple six packs cold for the day of sailing on the Bay.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 17:39   #887
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I have the same plate around my rudder post, and it says Glas Laminates, but Rob I wonder, isn't your hull number there? I can't recall how they did the hull numbers for the Defenders.

As to the ice box, mine is not insulated but I have contemplated insulating it and returning it to that function, but for our trips it made more sense to use it for storing things that only needed to be "cool," like eggs and bread, and then I have a "cold" cooler in the hanging locker for stuff like juice and cheese, and then a really good cooler for frozen stuff under the cockpit seats. When the boats were built I think the icebox was just meant to keep a couple six packs cold for the day of sailing on the Bay.

http://www.columbia-yachts.com/registry.html

Hull#60 defender series

There was a lot of grey area back then with little actual black and white .
Both my Columbia defender and my islander 24 bahama were built by glad laminates Inc.

As to your ice box well they have a 1 inch lip half way up and a drain that leads to the bilge for a block of ice .

Right now I have a big dorm fridge with separate freezer that was donated to me . ( it was less than a year old when I got it ) so for now I'm just running it as the cool blue I want is just under 3k .
Runs great in my inverter charger . and the power usage is reasonable . this week I will do an ah test for full off dock 24 hours test . will post in my thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6257387_sd.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	255747  
Old 10-04-2022, 18:46   #888

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post

Hull#60 defender series

Both my Columbia defender and my islander 24 bahama were built by glad laminates Inc.
OK I see, so the Defenders and C29s, it appears, just had the hulls numbered but not the model. In other words, they built the hull and then every other one was a Defender or C29.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 10-04-2022, 18:53   #889
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
OK I see, so the Defenders and C29s, it appears, just had the hulls numbered but not the model. In other words, they built the hull and then every other one was a Defender or C29.
Seems to be like that though not every other one .
And it looks like mine is the 4th defender built and hull #60 you have #37 and none before were Defenders.
Old 10-04-2022, 20:31   #890

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
As to build plates
Forum

Ok a few tricks first as to your laminate cut the basic shape with masking tape and a razor knife put the tape on the face and deep score it for the cut the tape will help stop chipping of the edge.

Sent pm about the ice box. Reinstall drain if keeping it as an ice box but no if converting.
As to " reclaiming space you are much better off to insulate the box as the insulation is minimal. Mine has Styrofoam 1/2 " shert on three sides and the bottom . The hull side has foam poster board it really sucks bad. Cryogel is not cheap but there's only 2 inches of space around 3 sides of my box and it gives me up to 5 layers of 10mm at R8.5 per 10 mm layer. Yes I will post pictures when I finally get time to do the project.
Where have you found the best prices of the cryogel? Did yo use the cryogel x blanket? BuyAerogel.com | Cryogel® Z Blanket This is what I found, I assume you are going to use something like this? Appreciate the feedback and the idea for the laminate.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 20:41   #891

For our primary fridge we are using one of these, its been sitting on the shelf for a bit waiting on the install. https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoo...x3-75dz-220585 This can run as a fridge and freezer or a dual fridge or dual freezer I believe. The thought now seems to be, re build the ice box and we cna run dry ice or regular ice in it or maybe one day put in a freezer plate and have a tiny deep freeze for meat and things. Then we have the Dometic as well.
Old 10-04-2022, 21:29   #892
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Where have you found the best prices of the cryogel? Did yo use the cryogel x blanket? BuyAerogel.com | Cryogel® Z Blanket This is what I found, I assume you are going to use something like this? Appreciate the feedback and the idea for the laminate.
Actually cryogel Z. Got lucky a fellow cruisers forum member that lives up here locally had some left over after his project . So got it for about half cost.
Let me recalculate my needs to see what I have left over . What are your box dimensions LxWxD I should have almost enough left to do yours .

https://www.pacorinc.com/product/cryogel-z/
Old 12-04-2022, 06:07   #893

Boat: Tartan 40
Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:

Hull#60 defender series

As to your ice box well they have a 1 inch lip half way up and a drain that leads to the bilge for a block of ice .

Right now I have a big dorm fridge with separate freezer that was donated to me . ( it was less than a year old when I got it ) so for now I'm just running it as the cool blue I want is just under 3k .
Runs great in my inverter charger . and the power usage is reasonable . this week I will do an ah test for full off dock 24 hours test . will post in my thread

I have a cool blue cold plate and compressor I removed from my boat when I reworked it to install a Frigoboat integrated freezer compartment evaporator. It was working but certainly not new. Needs new copper lines and a charge. PM me if you want to discuss- it’s in Maryland and sitting in my shed unused
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:29   #894
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I have a cool blue cold plate and compressor I removed from my boat when I reworked it to install a Frigoboat integrated freezer compartment evaporator. It was working but certainly not new. Needs new copper lines and a charge. PM me if you want to discuss- it’s in Maryland and sitting in my shed unused
Pm sent
Old 22-04-2022, 11:51   #895

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

To anyone redoing carpeted sides on their interior, I'm in the process of replacing the old foam backed carpeting from the sides of my hull. I took down my originals in 1 piece, sent it off to Custom Marine Carpet in Michigan, and they cut me pieces to match what I removed. I used a linen colored marine weave, which is like a fine woven vinyl. It's still foam backed and about the same thickness. The price was reasonable, and I'm pleased with not having stained, yellowed walls anymore. This stuff is tough too. I'm not worried about anything damaging it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220422_125618.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	256427   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220422_134724.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	256428  

Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 09:32   #896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
To anyone redoing carpeted sides on their interior, I'm in the process of replacing the old foam backed carpeting from the sides of my hull. I took down my originals in 1 piece, sent it off to Custom Marine Carpet in Michigan, and they cut me pieces to match what I removed. I used a linen colored marine weave, which is like a fine woven vinyl. It's still foam backed and about the same thickness. The price was reasonable, and I'm pleased with not having stained, yellowed walls anymore. This stuff is tough too. I'm not worried about anything damaging it.
Looks great! Finally mounted the platform, need to get all the trailers serviced and then cut the teak platform.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220422_131414.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	256506   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220422_131357.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	256507  

Name:	20220422_131332_HDR.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	256508  
Old 24-04-2022, 08:10   #897

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Looks good. Getting her back in the water is going to be a good day. Columbias feel better when floating.

Despite going in on the first, we haven't had good weather. Finally got to sail yesterday, and later this week, I can focus on my brightwork again. We had 15-25kts of breeze yesterday. 3' waves. It was a lot of fun.

Oh, I have the EV 100 autopilot, I installed the rudder position sensor after 4 years of operating without it, made a massive difference, particularly in following seas. Response is faster, heading control is better, and it seems to steer almost as well as a human now. Normally a gusty day like yesterday would have made it weave around, and yesterday it performed perfectly. Was awfully tight fitting my whole body in the lazarette to install it. Then I had only a few inches above the steering gear to work. Took half a day to install 5 screws to get it attached, but definitely worth it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220423_150753.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	256542   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220423_150743.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	256543  

Name:	20220423_150740.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	256544  
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 23:01   #898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
Looks good. Getting her back in the water is going to be a good day. Columbias feel better when floating.

Despite going in on the first, we haven't had good weather. Finally got to sail yesterday, and later this week, I can focus on my brightwork again. We had 15-25kts of breeze yesterday. 3' waves. It was a lot of fun.

Oh, I have the EV 100 autopilot, I installed the rudder position sensor after 4 years of operating without it, made a massive difference, particularly in following seas. Response is faster, heading control is better, and it seems to steer almost as well as a human now. Normally a gusty day like yesterday would have made it weave around, and yesterday it performed perfectly. Was awfully tight fitting my whole body in the lazarette to install it. Then I had only a few inches above the steering gear to work. Took half a day to install 5 screws to get it attached, but definitely worth it.
That sounds like a great day and yes looking forward to being back in the water.
Old 19-05-2022, 13:42   #899
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well finally got the cryogel cut for my refrigerator I have a 12 ft by 39 in piece. Left over.
Make an offer.
Old 18-06-2022, 13:56   #900

Finally got my C29 out the other day and had her consistently going over 6 knots upwind, in 10 knots of wind, which is a first for me! The only difference is that I added all that chain under the sole, over the ballast. So now I am thinking maybe the original ballast of 3120# was too low as 2 of my sailor friends have been telling me. So you may consider adding extra chain down in there as I did! (The Defender has the heavier ballast though already I believe.)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
columbia, grass, refit