Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2021, 06:34   #721
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,521
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
I bet you do! I feel like you can find pretty much anything boat.
Well that is what I made a living doing
That and I also own a small salvage company as well.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 21:13   #722
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 892
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Well that is what I made a living doing
That and I also own a small salvage company as well.
Of course you own a salvage company as well lol. Well on another note, planning to knock this out asap. Ordering the 316 stainless tubing tonight I believe. Going to go with 1.25'' round tube with wall thickness of .083. For the cross member was thinking .065 because they don't stock .083 in the 316. I figure for its purpose that should be sufficient.

For the bobstay I have some material left over already in 316 I can use. I believe its .25'' or something close and will use that for the platform feet also. For the corners I might need to get some help from the shop to accomplish the "El Corner" but can easily cut and fab up the mitered corner look. I don't suppose that matters much practically more aesthetics.



Anyone have anything like this on their boat who would like to tell me how wide they made it? I figure 16'' would be more than enough for the anchor and something to stand out on as a platform for fun. Thoughts?
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 21:55   #723
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,521
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Of course you own a salvage company as well lol. Well on another note, planning to knock this out asap. Ordering the 316 stainless tubing tonight I believe. Going to go with 1.25'' round tube with wall thickness of .083. For the cross member was thinking .065 because they don't stock .083 in the 316. I figure for its purpose that should be sufficient.

For the bobstay I have some material left over already in 316 I can use. I believe its .25'' or something close and will use that for the platform feet also. For the corners I might need to get some help from the shop to accomplish the "El Corner" but can easily cut and fab up the mitered corner look. I don't suppose that matters much practically more aesthetics.



Anyone have anything like this on their boat who would like to tell me how wide they made it? I figure 16'' would be more than enough for the anchor and something to stand out on as a platform for fun. Thoughts?
Ok I'm lost what are you making and what does it have to do with a bobstay?
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 23:13   #724
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 892
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Ok I'm lost what are you making and what does it have to do with a bobstay?

Making an anchor platform to clear up some deck space. In the diy article the lower support is referred to as a bobstay. Will just give the platform additional support/strength. Obviously I wont be re-rigging as a slutter but wanted to have a little platform to go and stand on as well as push the anchor out. Pretty excited to make it actually since I like the look of such things.



https://www.cruisingworld.com/how/ho...chor-platform/
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:25   #725
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,521
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Making an anchor platform to clear up some deck space. In the diy article the lower support is referred to as a bobstay. Will just give the platform additional support/strength. Obviously I wont be re-rigging as a slutter but wanted to have a little platform to go and stand on as well as push the anchor out. Pretty excited to make it actually since I like the look of such things.



https://www.cruisingworld.com/how/ho...chor-platform/
Ok so we are talking about adding an anchor nest then ok
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 19:43   #726
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,521
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

I know I said prefer not Volvo but the price is right if your interested.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/b...304453731.html
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:53   #727
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 10,373
Images: 53
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Wow, refitting our boat to go from no inboard to installing one is a big job...
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:55   #728
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 10,373
Images: 53
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I know I said prefer not Volvo but the price is right if your interested.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/b...304453731.html
That must have the same footprint as the MD7A. My buddy has the MD7A and it is in good shape, but maybe good to have a spare on hand!
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:40   #729
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,521
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
That must have the same footprint as the MD7A. My buddy has the MD7A and it is in good shape, but maybe good to have a spare on hand!
The real difference between the a and b is bore and stroke meaning more hp for same base block . So yes same footprint and all.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 15:36   #730
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,521
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Just thought i would post this one
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...306689697.html
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
columbia, grass, refit

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains 406Columbia Monohull Sailboats 234 01-09-2018 14:24
Hello from the Rocky Mountains ! Matt Arian Meets & Greets 19 12-11-2011 12:30
Howdy from the Rocky Mountains - Twenty Years of Snow Is Enough ! 10000ftwelder Meets & Greets 4 29-12-2010 20:05
Puerto Penasco a.k.a Rocky Point markpj23 General Sailing Forum 0 16-02-2007 12:41
Rocky Mountain High rjthecableguy Meets & Greets 5 02-04-2005 02:59

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.