Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2023, 00:23   #1

Boat: C&C 30
Newer boats with “V” shaped hulls?

One of the most pleasant experiences I ever had was taking a heavy weather sailing class on an Islander 53 sailboat. Despite there being 20 knots of wind and pretty significant waves off the California coast, I was amazed at how the boat just sliced through those waves like a hot knife through butter. I think what made that possible was the old school “V” shaped hull and full keel design of that 1970’s boat. Now that I’m looking for a boat for my family, we need at least three cabins, ideally 4, but the problem I’m running into is that a lot of these old school Water boats">blue water boats are two cabin designs. Do any of you know of a newer boat builder who still builds boats with sea kindly design (V shaped hull with a fullish keel) that also incorporates 3-4 cabins?
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:19   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Newer boats with “V” shaped hulls?

How much money do you have to spend?
Old 03-05-2023, 06:05   #3

Island Packet comes to mind.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
Island Packet comes to mind.
Hard to find layouts for them online. I suspect the 439 might have a 3 cabin option but certainly not 4.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:19   #5

The old full keel boats tended to have narrow beams (not so much a V-hull which is a term usually associated with power boats). They relied on the weight of the keel rather than the form of the hull to avoid capsize. They were heavy and slow to accelerate, so they kept the beams narrow, so they would lose less speed when punching thru a wave.

Modern boats tend to be wider and they carry that width further back. This improves performance in moderate conditions (that you will experience far more often) and provides a lot more interior space.
- A modern 40ft boat might have a 14ft beam. You might lose a foot on either side due to structure and inaccessible area giving you 12ft of interior space to work with.
- An old full keeler might have a 10ft beam and when you look at the interior, you might wind up with only 8ft of interior space.

The modern design gives you 50% more interior space plus even more because that beam carries further back typically.

PS: Obviously talking in generalities. Specific boats will vary.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:22   #6

Almost all the new boats will have a flat forefoot. To minimize pounding you sail with heel and fall on the turn of the bilge. Island Packets aren’t well known for their windward abilities.
Good luck with your search.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:33   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Production boats such as Beneteau as an example almost invariably have flat hull forms forward. While boats such as ours are much better designed with a more pronounced ‘V’ shape forward and are equally if not more beamy, they are somewhat less popular for various reasons but if you can find one, it should fit your family.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:43   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

From 70s boats, don't remember a "v" shaped hull per se, but more of a rounded underside of the hull making them more sea kindly/less slamming. Designs I would look for from that era would be Sparkman & Stephens or Herreshoff hulls. These were also heavier boats (relative to today's designs) w/lower SA/disp numbers.
As you are finding, many of those cabin designs had more of an open air flow/better ventilation. The current designs w/individual small cabins need AC units to keep the interior fresh. Some of the modern design boats are more like a Winchester Mystery House tour and there is practicality of keeping the below decks fresh with many people on board.

That said, we did see an interesting idea on a large Oyster we had a chance to tour. It was a kid's game room that gave them their space to have fun.
Many boats to look at so keep looking and refining your thoughts on the right boat to fit your needs.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:20   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Newer boats with “V” shaped hulls?

Well.. if you have $600,000 there's this..
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...t-22d-8323160/
Or for $230,000 there's this..
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...-20-s-7836879/
Or this..
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...t-16m-8514190/

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:01   #10

For 4 cabins you are going to need a big boat. I would say 50+ feet minimum.
Buy a cat, 4 cabins, float over the waves instead of through.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
As you are finding, many of those cabin designs had more of an open air flow/better ventilation. The current designs w/individual small cabins need AC units to keep the interior fresh.
A new Dufour 460 was just placed next to my boat. Mine is a 1974, I have 4 deck hatches. He has 7. Perhaps mine is the exception rather than the rule.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:07   #12

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
A new Dufour 460 was just placed next to my boat. Mine is a 1974, I have 4 deck hatches. He has 7. Perhaps mine is the exception rather than the rule.
They ran out of holes back then. Must have received new ones
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:14   #13

Boat: Colin Archer

V-shape is a great and a very underrated keel design IMHO. When rigged right they are not the fastest but fast enough even by modern standards yet they definitely are very sturdy and safe boats when things go rough.

Look for Koopmans designs - superb steel and alu sailboats. Victoire was their plastic relative but the steel and alu versions kept the original designer Dick Koopmans name for a reason I reckon. Also some Colin Archers (and it’s evolutions or derivates such as Atkins, Perry desigs - some Hans Christians, etc), have something between V- and full-keel, those are extra sturdy boats but you’ll lose some internal space due to dobule-ender design of the hull.
Briis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:36   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Maybe look at specific designers, such as Perry or Brewer.

Another thing that may interest you is a ytube channel called Captain Q. He reviews, mostly, older boats for sail, maybe 15% fall into hour category. It might be a way to familiarize yourself with makes and models pretty easily. From yojr arm chair, drink in hand, civilized.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 12:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Production boats such as Beneteau as an example almost invariably have flat hull forms forward. While boats such as ours are much better designed with a more pronounced ‘V’ shape forward and are equally if not more beamy, they are somewhat less popular for various reasons but if you can find one, it should fit your family.
For us new folks, what do you mean by "boats such as ours?"

There's good stuff in this thread.

Thanks!
the stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, hull